Ned ignoring Lyanna

devilish

Lyanna did voiced her concerns with Ned about not wanting to marry Robert, something Ned brushed aside. If he did took them seriously and he forwarded his concerns to Rickard, Brandon and Robert do you think that would change anything. As a second son, Ned had as much influence as Hodor on these matters. But as a dutiful Stark son and as Robert's best friend, his words did carried some weight. The North doesn't come across as a region were wolves are forced to marry outsiders against their will. Also maybe Brandon wouldn't had gone off the handle when Rhaegar 'kidnapped' Lyanna either. 

3 minutes ago, Daenerys Targaryen's slave said:

She was being married of to broker an alliance, not because he father thought Robert was a good man; I'm sure he knew just what kind of person Robert.

People in that time did not marry for love.

He knew Robert and he also knew Lyanna and how wild she is. Would he force her into a marriage to a man she didn't liked? And even if the answer is yes, would Brandon and Robert still cause such outrage if they knew that Lyanna didn't liked the prospect of marrying Robert very much and was eager to find a way out?

Just now, devilish said:

He knew Robert and he also knew Lyanna and how wild she is. Would he force her into a marriage to a man she didn't liked? And even if the answer is yes, would Brandon and Robert still cause such outrage if they knew that Lyanna didn't liked the prospect of marrying Robert very much and was eager to find a way out?

Rickard was King of the North, in all but name. Kings and Queens throughout history have been noted for making stupid decisions.

Remember that Henry guy? He had  6 wives?

Rickard was Warden of the North, and as we all know had Southern ambitions. Part of these ambitions was to forge alliances with the South to be able to withstand the Targaryen rule (note: Not to rebel against them).
He therefore wanted to wed Lyanne to Robert and Brandon to Catelyn. I think that both of these marriages would have been rather unsuccessful, but Rickard just did not care about that. He wanted to have 2 strong alliances in the Riverlands and the Stormlands. The 3 combined would've been a force to be considered, for any of the other houses, and thus also for the king.

I'm not saying he did not care about the happiness of his children, but he wanted the Starks to have something to say in the 7 Kingdoms, and regarded that as more important than his children's happiness.

1 hour ago, Daenerys Targaryen's slave said:

Rickard was King of the North, in all but name. Kings and Queens throughout history have been noted for making stupid decisions.

Remember that Henry guy? He had  6 wives?

48 minutes ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

Rickard was Warden of the North, and as we all know had Southern ambitions. Part of these ambitions was to forge alliances with the South to be able to withstand the Targaryen rule (note: Not to rebel against them).
He therefore wanted to wed Lyanne to Robert and Brandon to Catelyn. I think that both of these marriages would have been rather unsuccessful, but Rickard just did not care about that. He wanted to have 2 strong alliances in the Riverlands and the Stormlands. The 3 combined would've been a force to be considered, for any of the other houses, and thus also for the king.

I'm not saying he did not care about the happiness of his children, but he wanted the Starks to have something to say in the 7 Kingdoms, and regarded that as more important than his children's happiness.

It is an undeniable fact that Henry Tudor ended up a mentally ill person towards the end of his life. Syphillis had ravaged him by that time and the result wasn’t nice. However his concerns about not having a son were legitimate. He was a ruler of a fledgling and therefore weak dynasty who took the crown by might of conquest. Till his time no English queen was able to hold to the crown for long.

His frustrations in not being able to convince Rome to give him a divorce were legitimate too. Kings were spoilt brats with loads of power. The church would usually bend over backwards to appease them as that would translate in riches and pledges of allegiance. Rome would probably appease him too if only his first wife didn’t happen to be part of the most powerful noble European family of the time. Therefore, by not consenting the divorce, the pope was clearly saying that the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire was more powerful and rated than the King of England. That was a fair thing to say but something no king wants to hear.

I don’t buy this Southern ambitions thing. Sure Rickard lead to some prestigious marital matchups in his life time. There again I feel that these marriages were more to defend the noblemen’s rights rather as than as some cunning  plan to topple the Targ dynasty. Don’t forget that Egg brought some serious reforms which were meant to help the smallfolk but which ended up hurting the noblemen + I am pretty sure that rumours about the Mad king were slowly but surely spreading up throughout the 7 kingdoms. It is only fair for Wardens and Lords Paramount to try to gang up together just in case they need to strengthen their cause against any other hostile reforms.

If Rickard wanted to topple Aerys then he would have called the banners the day Brandon was arrested. That’s what Robb Stark did when his own father was arrested. Instead he went to KL to try and negotiate with the King, a strategy that costed him his life. That’s not the way an usurper would have acted.

As if Rickard (or even Robert Baratheon) would have cared... In Westeros, ladies of the Houses are basically just highly pedrigreed brood stock. A lord would give as much consideration to what his sow wanted in a mate as his daughter.

Archived