US Politics - or: How I Learned to Love the Atomic Don

Martell Spy

Just now, Commodore said:

distinction without a difference in this case, his time served was a drop in the bucket of a life sentence

Manning was smart to stroke lefty erogenous zones to garner sympathy, Snowden did essentially the same thing but no pardon

Ms. Manning's case is not at all similar to Mr. Snowden's case.  I'm not even sure how to convince you of that when you're part of the post truth people.  

3 minutes ago, Commodore said:

distinction without a difference in this case, his time served was a drop in the bucket of a life sentence

Manning was smart to stroke lefty erogenous zones to garner sympathy, Snowden did essentially the same thing but no pardon

Commodore,

There are rather significate consequences for Manning in this not being a "Pardon".  With a "Pardon" it is as though the conviction never took place.  The "Commutation" means this follows Manning for the rest of Manning's life.  

Manning was smart to stroke lefty erogenous zones to garner sympathy, Snowden did essentially the same thing but no pardo

I'd like Snowden to be pardoned. (or commuted) However, according to the Obama administration, Snowden didn't file the paperwork required. Also, apparently Snowden encouraged the Obama admin to pardon Manning instead.

Snowden on Chelsea Manning's commutation: 'Thanks, Obama'

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/314683-snowden-tweets-about-chelsea-mannings-commutation-thanks-obama

Post-truth is really just a post-modern reframing of the very old adage that perception is reality. So it really isn't a new socio-political partadigm we're in. It's the same old paradigm, but in new and exciting packaging.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Commodore,

There are rather significate consequences for Manning in this not being a "Pardon".  With a "Pardon" it is as though the conviction never took place.  The "Commutation" means this follows Manning for the rest of Manning's life.  

I'm sure his book deal will help him get over it

38 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

The nice thing is since I made the statement, I get to define what I meant by free. I didn't for example include the cost of the mental stress of various female members of the media that had to deal with Trump.

It's a moot point by that logic.

Take Hillary Clinton, the money to pay for her media coverage was given to her for "free"

8 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

I'd like Snowden to be pardoned. (or commuted) However, according to the Obama administration, Snowden didn't file the paperwork required. Also, apparently Snowden encouraged the Obama admin to pardon Manning instead.

Snowden on Chelsea Manning's commutation: 'Thanks, Obama'

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/314683-snowden-tweets-about-chelsea-mannings-commutation-thanks-obama

There are also issues with Snowden and the Russians. The cases aren't even close to the same.

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Does it really matter much in this case anyway? Everyone one knows Manning is actually guilty of the crime she was convicted of so regardless of whether she was pardoned or had her sentence commuted it's going to follow her for the rest of her life, the significant thing is she won't spend a significant proportion of it in prison.

14 minutes ago, Commodore said:

It wasn't a life sentence though. Wiki says it was 35 years with the possibility of parole after about a third of that. Manning will serve a total of 6 years which isn't that trivial a fraction of either the sentence or a typical human lifespan.

Snowden is very unlikely to get a pardon while he is in exile; he will basically have gotten away with what he did and the intelligence community really doesn't like that.

It's a moot point by that logic.

Take Hillary Clinton, the money to pay for her media coverage was given to her for "free"

Hillary went about her campaign in the way that has become standard, raising funds, and then buying ad buys. My point was that Trump went about his campaign in a nonstandard manner. You've yet to show that this wasn't the case, despite arguing about it. Unless you are suggesting that the media were lobbyists and were lobbying Trump when they brought him on their shows. To me he appeared to get the coverage free. And they got ratings out of the deal. I'm not under the impression that they lobbied Trump on policy while they had him there.

20 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Still two days left. Prepare your outrage.

3 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Hillary went about her campaign in the way that has become standard, raising funds, and then buying ad buys. My point was that Trump went about his campaign in a nonstandard manner. You've yet to show that this wasn't the case, despite arguing about it. Unless you are suggesting that the media were lobbyists and were lobbying Trump when they brought him on their shows. To me he appeared to get the coverage free. And they got ratings out of the deal. I'm not under the impression that they lobbied Trump on policy while they had him there.

Well I don't know what I'm arguing because I agree with that 100%

Aside from that I believe that my understanding of free is more widely accepted. As the old saying goes "ain't shit in this world free"

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I don't think Commodore believes in the transgender concept.

Tempra clearly doesn't either, but that's besides the point.  They shouldn't be given reign to be terrible just because they have dumb beliefs.  

24 minutes ago, Commodore said:

distinction without a difference in this case

I mention it only because the difference relates to exactly the point you were complaining about.

Archived