Stannis will still be King

KingHimes

Before Stannis and Melisandre looked in the fire,Melisandre told him that before this war was done, he would betray his loyal servant (Davos), he would betray his family (Killed his daughter and his brother), and would betray everything he ever stood for (Betrayed his honor with all of his actions , and betrayed his men leading them to death), but he would be King.

Everything she has said has come true, and IMO that leads me to believe that she will be right about Stannis becoming King.  Of what I do not know but I believe that Stannis will be King of something.  Maybe the new Knight's King, and he will have to live forever in his sorrow of what he had done, that would be fitting.  Or maybe there could be another thing!! 

Right now Melisandre is riding south of Winterfell and I think she will find half dead Stannis and they will reunited again.  Maybe Stannis will be Azor Ahai and maybe he will plunge his sword into his one true love, Lady Melisandre.  And just maybe that sword will light on fire from the Red Woman and become LightBringer.  

Who knows?  Its all fun guessing but I just found it strange as I rewatched the series that I noticed how everything she said came true, and it just made me feel that he will still be King of something, and I believe he is still alive because that death scene, cmon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This reminds me of Pirates of the Carribean, Dead Man's Chest, Davy Jones tells Jack Sparrow that he was a Captain for the allotted years his bargain-in-exchange-for-servitude has been reached. Jack refutes that because he has not been in possession of the Black Pearl for all of those years but Davy Jones pointed out that Jack proclaimed himself Captain none the less throughout those years. He also told Jack that he was a poor Captain but a Captain none the less.  Stannis was King and while he may not have been poor at it (he saved the North and the Night's watch from being wiped out) and he was the legit King after Robert but a King without a Throne, but a King none the less.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Stannis is done in the show. D&D made it very clear they don't like his character when they publicly stated, "Stannis wouldn't make a good king." Stannis is the only character from the series D&D have voiced their opinion over.

GRRM had provided them three different shocking parts for the overall story:

1. Stannis and Shireen's fate
2. What "Hordor" means
3. (The last one hasn't been presented in the show yet)

GRRM has said while the meaning of Hordor will be the same when he gets around to writing it, how it happens will be different. I think the same will happen with Stannis. I would elaborate on all of this but I can't per the forum rules.

Let's just say that the two mediums and their portrays of Stannis are completely different. It hurts my heart/brain how much they messed up Stannis in the show; although, I enjoyed the performance of the actor who was perfect in the role. 

I don't know. I much wanted Stannis to come back from being "killed" by Brienne. There are so many things to suggest he isn't dead, such as the cutaway when Brienne delivers the "final blow." I mean, come on, this is Game of Thrones we're talking about. Why shy away from showing something far less brutal, in comparison to the Red Wedding. Brienne is doing Stannis a favor, and if anything, if she really did kill him, she most likely would have struck him in a convenient area, as to not desecrate the body. Of course, this is the optimist in me talking, where Brienne most likely aimed to cut off his head and leave it with absolutely no semblance of the man Stannis once was, given the hate she has for him. Overall, there really isn't much evidence to suggest Stannis is still alive in the shows, but obviously he hasn't made his exit in the books yet. Hopefully Martin continues to add on the depth of his character and really drive home some type of plot point. Like you mentioned in your original post, perhaps in the books Stannis will plunge his sword into Melisandre, finally creating Lightbringer and making him Azor Ahai.

On the show, Stannis is gone. RIP, his legacy for the fictional future we will never see is that given the Lannister incest and the bastards as now common knowledge (in the world of AGOT Westeros/Essos and Cersei blowing up the trial via the Sept, Stannis was the true King of the Iron Throne, but never sat on it and that is all he will get of it.

On 2/28/2017 at 5:13 PM, Jango said:

There are so many things to suggest he isn't dead, such as the cutaway when Brienne delivers the "final blow." I mean, come on, this is Game of Thrones we're talking about. Why shy away from showing something far less brutal, in comparison to the Red Wedding. Brienne is doing Stannis a favor

Based on the way the whole Kit Harrington thing went down, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Stannis shows up alive in S7. The whole "do your duty" line before the cut away seemed to imply her real duty was to protect Sansa, not seek revenge...and we got no payoff. On the other hand, it could have just been poorly written and should be taken at face value since she later claims she executed him to Davos and Melissandre?

1 hour ago, matsuki said:

Based on the way the whole Kit Harrington thing went down, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Stannis shows up alive in S7. The whole "do your duty" line before the cut away seemed to imply her real duty was to protect Sansa, not seek revenge...and we got no payoff. On the other hand, it could have just been poorly written and should be taken at face value since she later claims she executed him to Davos and Melissandre?

1 hour ago, matsuki said:

For the record, I don't believe he's secretly alive. But the way she told Davos and Mel that was so over the top and bravado inflated. Like she was overselling it because she actually didn't do it. Like "yeah I totally killed Stannis, he's so dead right now! I wish he was alive so I could kill him again!" *shifts eyes left to right suspiciously. 

2 hours ago, matsuki said:

The precondition to her pledge to Catelyn was that when the time came NOTHING would hold her back from Stannis. Catelyn agreed and outright promised Brienne never to hold her back. Brienne was sticking to exactly what she said she would do. She did her duty well.

49 minutes ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

For the record, I don't believe he's secretly alive. But the way she told Davos and Mel that was so over the top and bravado inflated. Like she was overselling it because she actually didn't do it. Like "yeah I totally killed Stannis, he's so dead right now! I wish he was alive so I could kill him again!" *shifts eyes left to right suspiciously. 

In that scene Brienne is speaking to two people she knows to have backed a kinslayer (one who also used blood magic and had people burned alive). She is making a point of putting them on notice. Her demeanor and intensity serve that purpose. 

3 hours ago, matsuki said:

She killed and did her duty. What purpose does he serve anyway and D&D were never his fans. He's dead but in the books not sure as we have plenty of things. Basically civil war in the North where many people will claim things. Rickon, Sansa coming back with LF, Jon and Robb's will. Stannis has part to play and it looks like he'll defeat the Boltons but then who knows what George will do. He seems to be one of the lies Dany has to slay.

Brienne swore to avenge Renly.  Catelyn Stark gave her leave to.  Brienne keeps her oaths.  Brienne found Stannis.  Brienne has subsequently said that she "executed" him for his murder of Renly though the use of Blood Magic.  Stannis is dead, this whole idea of "we didn't see it so he isn't really dead is just dead wrong.  Now perhaps Melisandre will come across his body, except that she left Winterfell heading South and Stannis' corpse is North of Winterfell.  Beyond that she has made it plain that she was only able to resurrect Jon because the Lord of Light willed it. 

One of the best acting performances, and the most subtle in the last season was Carice Van Houten  portraying a Priestess whose Faith has been shaken to the core, then restored but her Faith in Herself is still very shaky. 

On 3/9/2017 at 0:42 AM, matsuki said:

I agree. The biggest indicator, to me at least, was that he wasn't given the respectable on-screen death that nearly every important character has gotten, yet for some reason Stannis' death has to be implied and we only find out about his "true" death through Brienne telling Davos and Melisandre. Characters less deserving have had more brutal deaths on the show, like when Gregor Clegane is cutting through prisoners/peasants. You can literally see their intestines spill out before them, yet such an integral character gets an off-screen death? It screams fishy to me.

Archived