Westeros Fantasy Baseball 2017

Week

54 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

you'd need to spend more time researching closers throughout the year to make sure you get the next guy who is about to take over a job. 

To me, that is what Fantasy Baseball is ... ;)

Fine either way though.

23 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Figuring that out takes about 5 minutes of work.

Now compare it to what you'll need to do if there's an extra spot that can be used on a reliever.  Where you'd either need to invest extra money on closers at the draft to make sure you get 3-4 good ones that you can rely on, or you'd need to spend more time researching closers throughout the year to make sure you get the next guy who is about to take over a job. 

We do this already. My biggest issue with not having a P spot is I have almost no way to improve my ratios unless I stop fielding a 3rd closer, which means I no longer have a chance in the saves race. If I get screwed by poor SPs, especially in a shortened season, I don't have an easy way to take a top 8th inning guy and burn him out to improve the ratios 1 IP at a time. I hate that. Became a big issue for me last season.

Feel like all of you guys all seem to want the change.  I'm pretty strongly against it, but lets take a vote and we'll go with the league consensus.  Everyone please check in with either a yes or a no, regarding whether or not we should change an SP spot to a general Pitcher spot.

My vote is no.

I vote yes - it may change the auction, but I like the longer-term in-season flexibility.

Also, just saw a note about Jordan Schafer in Cards' camp (he struck out thrice - no surprise).

Let's see: 10 teams in fantasy, 30 big league clubs, so logic says 3 closers per roster? Doesn't take into account managers' (us) motives/bidding strategies during the draft. 

Granted there are teams with closers that I wouldn't want on my roster, and a few clubs, if not many, still have no set man for the job. So in reality there are 30+ players out there who could close any given day. Also, don't know if it was a fluke or not, but bear in mind the Andrew Miller experience for the Tribe last postseason, which throws a wrench in the ole standard closing pitcher mold. 

I hope that kinda makes sense, pretty tired now, but the point I'm trying to make is there's more than enough out there during the draft to choose from, and I'm for the SP spot to stay.

3 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

No the 22nd.

Oh, you mean the date that we posted 10 posts ago? 

Not sure where my brain is today.  Thanks WJ.

So I just realized that I won't be able to make the draft next Wed. I have two questions for league members:

Will I be able to join the draft late? Most likely going to be 1/2 hour to 45 minutes after start. 

Pre draft settings. Anyone have any experience with this? Don't want to be that guy that bids insanely high on the first few rounds, and if it's anything like FF whoever picks player for auction will pick say, Alejandro De Aza, and I'll wind up spending unwanted $.

I will be training for job and no access to draft (smartphone or tablet) due to nature of work. Any thoughts or ideas on above issue are greatly appreciated 

1 hour ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

So I just realized that I won't be able to make the draft next Wed. I have two questions for league members:

Will I be able to join the draft late? Most likely going to be 1/2 hour to 45 minutes after start. 

Pre draft settings. Anyone have any experience with this? Don't want to be that guy that bids insanely high on the first few rounds, and if it's anything like FF whoever picks player for auction will pick say, Alejandro De Aza, and I'll wind up spending unwanted $.

I will be training for job and no access to draft (smartphone or tablet) due to nature of work. Any thoughts or ideas on above issue are greatly appreciated 

1) Yeah you can join the draft late. 

2) Definitely set predraft values.  All of the yahoo values will probably be too high, and if you just leave it to them, you're going to end up spending all of your money on a couple of auto-drafted players at the start, and be left with nothing for depth.  At least, that's what always happens in football, and it results in awful teams.  Pretty sure you'll be better off if you set the values that you think are appropriate for a lot of players.

3) Personally, I'd be okay with pushing back the draft by 30-45 minutes, if it means you can show up on time.  Not sure how people on the East coast would feel about that though.  Guessing it would be okay for Groz, since he always wants it as late as possible. 

@Mexal
@Arch-MaesterPhilip

Archived