Faceless men question and endgame theory

SerTonyStark

I'm mostly spitballing shower thoughts but here goes. Is there any in text evidence that the FM retain their original faces, or that they don't? I realize that it's a very literal reading of their name, but I find myself speculating as to whether they may actually give up their actual faces to the HOB&W. I'm sure that this point has been hashed out before this, but that's the question I'm putting forth.

As for the endgame, I keep on thinking about the old outline for the trilogy and Jon and Arya being in love. Leaping forward into utter tinfoil, I imagine a scenario where a literally faceless Arya ends up with Jon wearing the face of another character having lost her's to the FM. Not sure who that character coul be but given all the parallels between the two I think it could be Dany. Maybe Arya kills Dany in order to impersonate her to be with Jon, or there's some other circumstance that leads to Dany's death. Arya ends up with Jon, probably as queen but loses herself. Bittersweet ending.

It's not their literal "face".

I interpret the nature of the Faceless men thusly:

There are three degrees of truth: what one appears to be superficially, what one actually looks like physically, and who one is "on the inside" (in their mind and/or soul).

The mid level, actual physical truth, appears to be the least important. A glamour changes some minor superficial elements and creates an illusion that most people cannot see past, but there are a number of gifted individuals who see past glamours, not because they see to that unimportant mid-level but because they see to the THIRD level of truth, to the mind/soul level.

THAT is the "face" that the faceless men change. It's why they have to give up their "self" during their initiation: they have to wipe clean that third level to avoid detection, and when they take on a NEW face they're basically reformatting their hard drive. Arya is important because she can do this WITHOUT losing herself because (continuing the computer analogy) she has backup storage in the cloud (Nymeria and maybe by extension Nymeria's entire wolf pack.)

Just my interpretation.

Archived