Attack on Titan (Anime series)

AncalagonTheBlack

I got impatient and started reading the manga after seeing the second series wasn't coming any time soon when I finished the anime, looking forward to seeing the animated version though! The 3DMG work in this is some of the most entertaining animation I've seen, and some of the stuff to come should look incredible. I wonder how far they'll get. I can't even remember where the anime left off - I think just after

Spoiler

they captured Annie/The Female Titan right?

I really loved the first half (?) or so of that first season, and I have a very high bar when it comes to anime, but man did that thing go off the rails towards the end. At some point I red the plot summary of what the manga had gotten up to, and it sounds like things go even more off the rails.

I'll watch it when it shows up on Netflix in the hopes that the spectacle is worth it (and if there's anything like the Trost District battle it will be), but I'm not that invested in it.

In what way have you heard later plots have gone off the rails Fez? I thought there have been periods that were pushing it, but the last few issues have really brought it back together for me with a clear bigger picture now.

11 hours ago, karaddin said:

In what way have you heard later plots have gone off the rails Fez? I thought there have been periods that were pushing it, but the last few issues have really brought it back together for me with a clear bigger picture now.

Well, again, I haven't read the actual issues, so maybe it all works in context, but...

Spoiler

1. It sounds like basically everyone gains, or secretly always had, the ability to turn into a Titan. 

2. The slowly uncovered story of what was going on with Eren's father and the underlying backstory of the world sound beyond hopelessly complicated.

I know anime, and manga, is almost never very straightforward, which is often a problem I have with it; but I really liked how Attack on Titan started. If it had stuck with the two conflicts of "There's these unknowable things called Titans that keep attacking and killing us" and "The central government is hopelessly corrupt," and there being a less complicated reason for why Eren (and only Eren) can turn into a Titan, I think I'd be a lot happier.

21 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Great! (Season 2 is nearly here)

Not so great (Hollywood film incoming), or rather cautiously pessimistic.

It'll probably be better than the last two adaptions to be fair.

12 hours ago, karaddin said:

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Well, again, I haven't read the actual issues, so maybe it all works in context, but...

Reveal hidden contents

1. It sounds like basically everyone gains, or secretly always had, the ability to turn into a Titan. 

2. The slowly uncovered story of what was going on with Eren's father and the underlying backstory of the world sound beyond hopelessly complicated.

I know anime, and manga, is almost never very straightforward, which is often a problem I have with it; but I really liked how Attack on Titan started. If it had stuck with the two conflicts of "There's these unknowable things called Titans that keep attacking and killing us" and "The central government is hopelessly corrupt," and there being a less complicated reason for why Eren (and only Eren) can turn into a Titan, I think I'd be a lot happier.

I'd actually say that it's mostly excellent, with the caveat that it stalls at one point (which will likely be towards the end of the season.) It lasts a number of chapters, but it might have felt longer due to having to wait a month per issue. 

What happens after that arc, the pay-off, as it were, is pretty interesting so far, but it needs some time to develop. I will say that the direction it's going in is better than the one I thought it might go in prior to that point.

16 hours ago, karaddin said:

I got impatient and started reading the manga after seeing the second series wasn't coming any time soon when I finished the anime, looking forward to seeing the animated version though! The 3DMG work in this is some of the most entertaining animation I've seen, and some of the stuff to come should look incredible. I wonder how far they'll get. I can't even remember where the anime left off - I think just after

Reveal hidden contents

they captured Annie/The Female Titan right?

Yes, right after that.

I started watching it with the expectation that it would be like those typical kid/teenager oriented animes like Dragon Ball and One Piece which I followed when I was younger, but it turns out that it had both a pretty mature and complex plot, and fairly well thought out world building as well (even though some of the premises appear completely ridiculous at first). 

Anyway, I couldn't wait for the next season so I read all released chapters too. But it will still be fun to see this animated. 

I wonder if they will keep some of the really weird stuff from the manga like the 

Spoiler

toilet torture device

12 hours ago, Fez said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ok addressing each of those

Spoiler

1. That's a massive oversimplification. Not sure if you'd want it spoiled by explaining fully? Although I'm happy to if so. Its not at all hard to understand or complicated though.

2. The backstory/Eren's father might have seemed like it was sprawling into a complicated mess, but the last couple of chapters really solidified it all and it makes perfect sense now. This ties in with one, there are overarching explanations that everything else fits into.

There is a very simple reason why Eren can turn into a Titan though - he was injected with the serum by his Dad. That's already been in the anime and its unchanged, just the context around it has been explained. Who his Dad was and why he injected him also wound up with a good, straight forward explanation. The story has kinda come full circle as well with us and the characters understanding what's going on, it really is back to our cast of characters against the enemies within and the Titans without...just with added understanding of what the titans are and what is behind them. Again I'm trying to keep super low detail to avoid spoilers, but honestly I think at the point it's back to now your objections will have been tied up even if you didn't like getting there.

• 2 months later...

I watched season 1 back in January and its been a long time since i flew through a show so fast. Had to then seek out the OVAs and I'm about to start the manga - although I think I'd prefer to see season 2 first. Tempted to check out the movies as well. Basically I loved it. Addictive, horrifying and just enough mystery so far as to entice but not overwhelm.

Fingers crossed Netflix are streaming this with subs/dubs shortly after it airs in Japan?

55 minutes ago, AndrewJ said:

I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch this week to week. I think it would be too frustrating. I think I'll wait until I can binge it on Netflix or something.

I think I'm in the same camp.

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think I'm in the same camp.

The thought has crossed my mind too. I binged it the first time and having to wait could be infuriating. 26 weeks is a long time though (and I've only being waiting since February for new episodes!) I guess they will cover a few arcs in season 2 so I might wait for one of them to complete and then have a go.

Slightly worrying the mention of the animation being very uneven. I'd be more forgiving if they had less lead time but you'd expect with the popularity of the show they'd bring their A game.

Even knowing what's coming from the manga I'm not sure i can handle the drip release. And that's dealing with the monthly release for manga rather than weekly I'm used to for One Piece.

Archived