Attack on Titan (Anime series)

AncalagonTheBlack

On 4/5/2017 at 7:05 PM, red snow said:

The thought has crossed my mind too. I binged it the first time and having to wait could be infuriating. 26 weeks is a long time though (and I've only being waiting since February for new episodes!) I guess they will cover a few arcs in season 2 so I might wait for one of them to complete and then have a go.

26 weeks? I thought season 2 was only supposed to be 13 or so episodes? And I assumed it would be shown weekly. Is one of those understandings incorrect?

13 episodes is/would be a bit disappointing after such a long wait. But at least they would all be available to watch a little quicker. That's assuming they don't drip feed them out over a longer time-frame - which would be doubly annoying.

Perhaps if I stop visiting the Attack on Titan thread I can forget that season 2 exists, until all episodes have been released when I can miraculously remember and binge the whole season.

8 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

26 weeks? I thought season 2 was only supposed to be 13 or so episodes? And I assumed it would be shown weekly. Is one of those understandings incorrect?

13 episodes is/would be a bit disappointing after such a long wait. But at least they would all be available to watch a little quicker. That's, assuming they don't drip feed them out over a longer time-frame - which would be doubly annoying.

I was just assuming it would be 26 episodes like the first season. Annoying after such a long wait there's only 13. Are they going to have a more regular production in future? Seems strange how such a popular show has taken 4 years to get 40 episodes out.

• 1 month later...

Since there are only 4 episodes left in season 2 I decided to binge the 8 they have out right now and finish the last few on a week by week basis. 

With only 4 more episodes it doesn't look like they're going to end the season where I hoped they would.

With everyone being in Eren's basement finding out the truth about their world. I'd forgotten about all of the Historia stuff they need to take care of first, and the fact Eren gets kidnapped by Bertholt and Reiner. I'm assuming the basement is going to be the ending of Season 3 now.

• 5 weeks later...

I've watched the first 8 dubbed episodes. It's still pretty good except for episode 8 which does the annoying anime thing of having lots of flashbacks and essentially recycled/low animated footage to pad things out. A shame.

Otherwise some interesting revelations regarding the colossus and armoured titans. don't read the spoilers if you haven't seen through to season 2 episode 8.

the new "beast titan" is pretty cool - he can talk and he can control the bog standard titans. I may be forgetting something but I'm pretty sure they left us hanging with the beast titan having climbed over the wall around episode 4. They've never followed on or even acknowledged that although i guess the humans in the tower were pretty distracted at the time. Anyways the insinuation is that a beast titan is now inside in human form.

what's a little confusing is that it seems the various titans may be different factions. Ymir must be different from colossus and armoured titans or else she wouldn't have attacked them? Likewise it would be odd for Beast titan to imperil his comrades in the tower?

I like the idea that the walls are made up entirely of titans. it feels like something made up during the writing process but works well as an improvised idea.

I think I'll have to crumble and start reading the manga after this season as i don't want to wait several years for more of the anime. I read the first volume and it's uncanny how close the anime and manga are - to the point the manga was redundant after seeing the show. But I guess for reading new material  it'll be fine.

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Actually, season 3 was announced for next year. So no unreasonable wait this time.

that's less painful although I'm guessing the manga must be quite ahead at this point? Then again manga is usually very decondensed in terms of storytelling so the show could catch up quick.

• 3 weeks later...

Episode 10 of season 2 had quite a lot of new info dumped which was good.

It seems like Titans can become human by eating "special titans"? Although Ymir may have been a special titan already? I'm not sure how she became a titan otherwise although it seemed like the people being pushed off the wall were turning into titans as they fell? The opener was interesting too with the village of people turning into Titans.

I still like how anime shows always seem to find ways of having characters jumping infinitely through forests delivering low animation exposition. Naruto has managed hours of that over the years.

That's actually more information than we got at that point in the manga red snow, but those questions have been definitively answered at this point - and yes, the manga is still a long way ahead. Easily enough for the 3rd season and I'd guess midway through the material that will be the 4th and final season. Or possibly enough for a 3rd and 4th season already and midway through the 5th actually, now I stop and think about how much was covered in this 2nd season this seems more likely.

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

That's actually more information than we got at that point in the manga red snow, but those questions have been definitively answered at this point - and yes, the manga is still a long way ahead. Easily enough for the 3rd season and I'd guess midway through the material that will be the 4th and final season. Or possibly enough for a 3rd and 4th season already and midway through the 5th actually, now I stop and think about how much was covered in this 2nd season this seems more likely.

I wonder if they felt the show needed a bit more info regarding the "big" plot points? So far I like the unfolding revelations/mysteries. It reminds me of "lost" but in a way where I feel confident the author has a very strong idea of what the answers/history are.

19 hours ago, red snow said:
  Hide contents

It seems like Titans can become human by eating "special titans"? Although Ymir may have been a special titan already? I'm not sure how she became a titan otherwise although it seemed like the people being pushed off the wall were turning into titans as they fell? The opener was interesting too with the village of people turning into Titans.

Spoiler

Ymir was condemned to be a Titan, you can see during the "execution" that they inject them with something before tossing them out of the Wall. I think it's the same "something" that Eren's dad gave him.

I won't talk about Ymir becoming human again, because I'm not sure if it was clear at this point already or if it will be in the last two episodes.

(I'm not a manga reader, so don't worry.)

On 11/07/2017 at 5:47 PM, red snow said:

I wonder if they felt the show needed a bit more info regarding the "big" plot points? So far I like the unfolding revelations/mysteries. It reminds me of "lost" but in a way where I feel confident the author has a very strong idea of what the answers/history are.

I think it was a good decision, but it's hard to say for sure without knowing how much the unanswered questions that are raised by that info would bother me. I think the reveal in the manga was very sudden and spreading it out more seems to work.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/7/2018 at 3:54 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

Well that was far quicker than the last gap. Very nice. 

Hopefully it doesn't show in a reduction in animation quality. Cue endless jumping through forests, inner monologues and flashbacks :)

Hopefully it doesn't show in a reduction in animation quality. Cue endless jumping through forests, inner monologues and flashbacks :)

Haha, yeah.

I just want to make sure everyone is aware. At one point in the first season, the same animation of titans (even the same faces) clawing upwards was used during a wall scene, and the giant tree scene. How lazy can you get?

Archived