U.S. Politics Inaguration Sensation: Be Prepared

Sivin

Drumpf will be President in eight hours as of typing this. But five hours before he is sworn in, there will probably be an outbreak of war in West Africa. I want to pay close attention to the invasion of Gambia (it may or may not happen in three hours) but the inauguration events will dominate the news channels because nobody in the western world cares about Africa.

10 hours ago, Kalbear said:

No, this isn't. Not likely at least. The last 'flip' was in 2008, and that was with most states not having massive gerrymandering - and that was almost immediately reversed. We now have the situation where most districts are 60% proof - in other words, unless the entire country goes 60% democrat, they will be completely proofed.

Might this play out differently once that SCOTUS case in Wisconsin is decided?   Am I wrong to have hope that we're close to articulating "principles of fairness in districting" that Kennedy will accept?

I hope everyone has their bunkers well stocked with food & water....this is going to be one heck of a ride the next 4 years.

Even from over here it's truly terrifying to think what sort of hell he could create. I mean a guy who can't even control himself on Twitter, how is he going to handle any delicate diplomatic incident?!? Jesus.....:stunned:

Today is the big day as Donald John Trump becomes the 45th President of the United States. 

I honestly hope he does well and that he governs for all the people he represents.

Going to be an interesting four years to say the least.

Good Luck!!  :grouphug: :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Altherion said:

If you mean McKenna, then he claims that they misinterpreted him:

He didn't say he was misquoted though. So the quote we have is likely accurate.

4 hours ago, Altherion said:

You're not going to win this one -- that NYT story just isn't true (although the NYT now appears to be claiming some unnamed highly placed officials as references).

The article was poorly written, but Rick Perry himself aknowledged, through his statements in front of the Senate Committee, that the headline is entirely correct: he did in fact initially misunderstand the job and has had to study hard for his confirmation hearings.
The article's mistake was the way it handled McKenna's statements when it seems he isn't even a reliable source. That was sloppy journalism. But it's still clear that both Perry and Trump greatly underestimated the importance of nukes in the DoE.

I expect better from the NYT, but it's very far from inventing stories.

14 hours ago, Fez said:

Oh my God. This idiot thinks he really is Kim or Hitler or [insert dictator of the week here]. 

This is where liberals show that they support the 2nd Amendment, too. And I'm afraid it's going to come to that. I don't see any way out of this except through violence and bloodshed, and I really hope I'm wrong. The problem is that our piddly little guns aren't worth squat compared to the US armed forces. 

This is what you wanted, America. Who was it that said that sooner or later we'll get the government we deserve? They were right. 

Conservatives, what the hell will it take for you to stop defending this monster and wake up? 

6 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

He didn't say he was misquoted though. So the quote we have is likely accurate.

The article was poorly written, but Rick Perry himself aknowledged, through his statements in front of the Senate Committee, that the headline is entirely correct: he did in fact initially misunderstand the job and has had to study hard for his confirmation hearings.
The article's mistake was the way it handled McKenna's statements when it seems he isn't even a reliable source. That was sloppy journalism. But it's still clear that both Perry and Trump greatly underestimated the importance of nukes in the DoE.

I expect better from the NYT, but it's very far from inventing stories.

A person who is qualified for the position shouldn't have to study at all. They should have command of the facts...not least of which is knowing the primary function of the department you're going to lead. 

2 hours ago, butterbumps! said:

Might this play out differently once that SCOTUS case in Wisconsin is decided?   Am I wrong to have hope that we're close to articulating "principles of fairness in districting" that Kennedy will accept?

No. The only way to do it is to have a computer do it...using an algorithm that's not written by anyone in Russia, that is. 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

A person who is qualified for the position shouldn't have to study at all.

True, but at least he did realise that he should study up on what his job entails; which appears to be more than some other nominees did.

Just now, mormont said:

True, but at least he did realise that he should study up on what his job entails; which appears to be more than some other nominees did.

Stop defending them. None of them are qualified, period. If he didn't know ahead of time that the DoE is nuclear and not oil and gas, he's not qualified. Period. 

16 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Stop defending them.

I'm not defending them. I'm pointing out that some of these people appear not to realise that they should probably learn what a job actually is, before they agree to do it.

Of course, on that they take their lead from Mr Trump.

31 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

No. The only way to do it is to have a computer do it...using an algorithm that's not written by anyone in Russia, that is. 

Are you saying "no" to the suggestion that this case might yield a different outcome from kal's point about dems being gerrymandered to oblivion?  

The proposed solution is a kind of algorithm that CLC is working on to reduce "wasted votes" in districts.   Eta: or do you mean that the two guys working with the CLC on this have ties to Russia or something?

It was obvious to anyone paying attention that the incoming administration would be blatantly corrupt. But would it at least be efficient in its corruption?

Many Trump voters certainly thought they were choosing a smart businessman who would get things done. And even those who knew better may have hoped that the president-elect, his ego finally sated, would settle down to running the country — or at least delegate the boring business of governing America to people actually capable of doing the job.

But it’s not happening. Mr. Trump hasn’t pivoted, matured, whatever term you prefer. He’s still the insecure, short-attention-span egomaniac he always was. Worse, he is surrounding himself with people who share many of his flaws — perhaps because they’re the sort of people with whom he is comfortable.

Donald the Unready

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/20/opinion/donald-the-unready.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region®ion=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region&_r=0

15 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

Are you saying "no" to the suggestion that this case might yield a different outcome from kal's point about dems being gerrymandered to oblivion?  

The proposed solution is a kind of algorithm that CLC is working on to reduce "wasted votes" in districts.   Eta: or do you mean that the two guys working with the CLC on this have ties to Russia or something?

I meant "no" in the sense that nothing will change and that yes, the Dems are being gerrymandered to the point where, as things stand now, they will never regain a majority in Congress. Ever. (That's assuming Congress still exists in a couple of years, of course.) The Republicans care about power above all else and will do anything to get it. The lines are supposed to be redrawn at the census. I have $100 that says that doesn't happen.

As to the second part, I was being sarcastic. At this point I wouldn't be complacent about who is hired to do any job for a Congress that's controlled by a bunch of spineless, mindless egomaniacs with delusions of grandeur. 

20 minutes ago, mormont said:

I'm not defending them. I'm pointing out that some of these people appear not to realise that they should probably learn what a job actually is, before they agree to do it.

Of course, on that they take their lead from Mr Trump.

Again, if they don't realize what the job is before they want to abolish it, then they're not qualified. 

4 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

I meant "no" in the sense that nothing will change and that yes, the Dems are being gerrymandered to the point where, as things stand now, they will never regain a majority in Congress. Ever. (That's assuming Congress still exists in a couple of years, of course.) The Republicans care about power above all else and will do anything to get it. The lines are supposed to be redrawn at the census. I have $100 that says that doesn't happen.

As to the second part, I was being sarcastic. At this point I wouldn't be complacent about who is hired to do any job for a Congress that's controlled by a bunch of spineless, mindless egomaniacs with delusions of grandeur. 

But a majority of justices believe gerrymandering is unconstitutional, and have been merely waiting for someone to come forward with a system to measure and regulate it uniformly.    It looks like such a system will be presented before them soon.    

3 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

But a majority of justices believe gerrymandering is unconstitutional, and have been merely waiting for someone to come forward with a system to measure and regulate it uniformly.    It looks like such a system will be presented before them soon.    

Unless they get a conservative justice before the case gets before them, which is pretty likely now that the GOP has carte blanche to do whatever they want. 

Archived