U.S. Politics Inaguration Sensation: Be Prepared

Sivin

42 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes, Kennedy is part of the conservative wing of the court.  He and Roberts tend to be the swing votes.  As such if Trump nominates and has "Bob Conservative" as the new justice there are still 5 potential votes in favor of ending Gerrymandering.  That said, what does that do to carving minority-majority districts in Congress?

Five potential. As I said, I don't believe it until I see it. 

Even if it's declared unconstitutional, I've no doubt that Republicans will do everything they can to suppress the minority vote even more. 

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

butterbumps,

No this was not a conservative plot.  When I suggested completely ending gerrymandering "Sword of the Morning" who is a friend on Facebook took it poorly because it would mean ending minority-majority districts.  

Conservative plot?   I didn't suggest it was a conservative plot.   It just says something about its efficacy/ consequences/ counterproductivity when conservative trolls laud its implementation.   

Why not forgo all gerrymandering and come up with an alternative method of promoting minority leadership?

On the topic of judicial nominations, Trump will have the potential to fill over half the judiciary with his nominees.

Of course, it's unlikely that all judges who are eligible to assume senior status will elect to do so. Still, the potential for Trump to reshape the judiciary is astounding.

https://ballotpedia.org/Judicial_vacancies_during_Trump's_first_term

Of the 870 life-term federal judicial positions, Trump inherits 108 vacancies. Not since Bill Clinton has an incoming president had the opportunity to fill this many life-term appointments to Article III courts at the start of an administration. For a breakdown of these numbers by presidency, please see: Vacancies by term.

The 108 vacancies represent roughly one in every eight life-term judicial positions (12.41%).

Over half, or approximately 438, judges currently serving in these 870 positions will be eligible to take senior status, thereby creating a judicial vacancy, by the end of 2020. This means there is a possibility that 50.3 percent of life-term appointments could be vacant by the end of Trump's first term.

17 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

Conservative plot?   I didn't suggest it was a conservative plot.   It just says something about its efficacy/ consequences/ counterproductivity when conservative trolls laud its implementation.   

Why not forgo all gerrymandering and come up with an alternative method of promoting minority leadership?

I would love to see that.  Hell, I want to do away with single member districts altogether. 

8 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The recurring nightmare is that in less than an hour, Trump will take the oath, ask if it's done, yell Dracarys, and his Bikers for Trump "wall of meat" starts grabbing up and detaining politicians...

I'd never really worry about Trump doing that but Bannon/Flynn, definitely. They're the scary ones.

But nothing like that will happen so I don't worry about that. 

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Record crowds!

Black Lives Matter Activists and various groups of scientists have been successful at shutting down checkpoints.  I'm curious exactly how many more would have made it through were it not for these brave folks standing up for what's right.  

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Black Lives Matter Activists and various groups of scientists have been successful at shutting down checkpoints.  I'm curious exactly how many more would have made it through were it not for these brave folks standing up for what's right.  

Probably not many. We saw pictures all morning of the approaches to the Mall and how quiet it was. Only 4% of DC voted for Trump, Northern VA/DC area MD didn't really either. And prices in DC are pretty high. That and there is no hope. I'm not at all surprised at the size regardless of the protestors. 

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I'd never really worry about Trump doing that but Bannon/Flynn, definitely. They're the scary ones.

But nothing like that will happen so I don't worry about that. 

While I am generally inclined to agree with you, something is still nagging me...might not be today, or tomorrow, but something is coming...

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Probably not many. We saw pictures all morning of the approaches to the Mall and how quiet it was. Only 4% of DC voted for Trump, Northern VA/DC area MD didn't really either. And prices in DC are pretty high. That and there is no hope. I'm not at all surprised at the size regardless of the protestors. 

Yeah, I'm sure some people want to drive a long way and pay a bunch of money to see Trump take office, but it is hard to overstate how unpopular Trump is in the DC Metro area.  "Drain the Swamp" is not a winning slogan here. 

2 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

While I am generally inclined to agree with you, something is still nagging me...might not be today, or tomorrow, but something is coming...

Well, yea. Something is coming. Trump has the attention span of a gnat. He won't be able to handle a 24/7 job with zero experience outside of his own company. I just don't think it's a coup but uninformed decision making that will affect lives.

Well, the choice of prayers was interesting...from the middle of Matthew 5, the Sermon on the Mount:

"11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.

12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

14"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.

15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house."

Tellingly, the next line about "Do not think that I have come to the abolish the Law..." was not read, nor any of the Beatitudes from the beginning ie "Blessed are the poor...Blessed are the meek...Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness...

Fortunately, neither was the eye for an eye part read.

Archived