U.S. Politics Inaguration Sensation: Be Prepared

Sivin

He speech was typical Trump.  If you don't like it, you probably don't like him.  I didn't and I don't. 

One line jumped out at me:

When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice.

I didn't expect prejudice to be mentioned at all, but instead the one mention is that it is not possible, if you are sufficiently patriotic.  That is either bafflingly naive or incredibly insulting. 

5 minutes ago, Guess who's back said:

misrepresentation of what? 

The size of the crowds for Trump's Inauguration.  And, what's worse he's using the crowds of the man he has demonized and decried for years to make his look better.  

It is the act of a very small person.

16 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

I haven't heard it but I read the speech as prepared for delivery on the Guardian and it sounded pretty good. It was still Trump and spoke to the base, but was tailored for the inauguration and sounded more presidential.

I finally read it.   What do you think was good about it?   Good without qualification, good from the perspective of his base, or good for Trump, because anything slightly coherent exceeds expectations for him?

12 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

America: Destroying The World So You Don't Have To. 

It gets worse.

In its place, the Trump administration has put up a page declaring an “America First Energy Plan” that makes no mention at all of climate change as a problem worth worrying about — except to note that Trump plans to roll back much of Obama’s climate policies. 

In their place, Trump plans to take steps to unlock “the estimated $50 trillion in untapped shale, oil, and natural gas reserves, especially those on federal lands.”

14 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

I finally read it.   What do you think was good about it?   Good without qualification, good from the perspective of his base, or good for Trump, because anything slightly coherent exceeds expectations for him?

I thought it was good on all counts. Primarily I thought he made his main points well but put in some more uplifting inauguration stuff in the second half.

2 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

I thought it was good on all counts. Primarily I thought he made his main points well but put in some more uplifting inauguration stuff in the second half.

What counts? What points? 

Very uplifting:

http://theslot.jezebel.com/donald-trump-plagiarized-bane-in-his-inaugural-speech-1791429625

“We take Gotham from the corrupt! The rich! The oppressors of generations who have kept you down with myths of opportunity, and we give it back to you... the people. Gotham is yours. None shall interfere. Do as you please. Start by storming Blackgate, and freeing the oppressed! Step forward those who would serve. For and army will be raised. The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests, and cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed. Blood will be shed. The police will survive, as they learn to serve true justice. This great city... it will endure. Gotham will survive!”

Just now, Week said:

What counts? What points? 

Very uplifting:

http://theslot.jezebel.com/donald-trump-plagiarized-bane-in-his-inaugural-speech-1791429625

“We take Gotham from the corrupt! The rich! The oppressors of generations who have kept you down with myths of opportunity, and we give it back to you... the people. Gotham is yours. None shall interfere. Do as you please. Start by storming Blackgate, and freeing the oppressed! Step forward those who would serve. For and army will be raised. The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests, and cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed. Blood will be shed. The police will survive, as they learn to serve true justice. This great city... it will endure. Gotham will survive!”

I am now going to forever hear Donald's voice replaced with that of Hardy Bane, I thank you. I thank you a million times for this gift.

Archived