U.S. Politics Inaguration Sensation: Be Prepared

Sivin

Just now, Dr. Pepper said:

Awwww, are you upset at the small numbers so you have to try to make a new reality.  Poor wittle man.  It was yuge, the yugest.  Tremendous.  

we can stop with the lie that the crowds were small. they clearly weren't. the pictures with no one there was taken an hour before the event. the pictures taken during the event are comparable to Obamas. 

Just now, Frog Eater said:

we can stop with the lie that the crowds were small. they clearly weren't. the pictures with no one there was taken an hour before the event. the pictures taken during the event are comparable to Obamas. 

No they aren't.  The numbers are significantly different.   But again, post truth ftw for the wee-minded.

11 hours ago, Altherion said:

If you mean McKenna, then he claims that they misinterpreted him:

You're not going to win this one -- that NYT story just isn't true (although the NYT now appears to be claiming some unnamed highly placed officials as references).

If you say so. I suspect I won't win you over, but I have never thought anything would. If the NY Times misrepresented Perry, why didn't Perry say so? Why didn't he state that in his hearing, instead of saying that he had a lot to learn about the DoE and had done a lot of research? 

It's not typically the case that when a Republican gets misrepresented by the Times that they stay silent about it.

52 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes.  It's a lie.  A misrepresentation.  A claim to an untruth.  It's shitty and mean.

Yes -- lies issued from liars matter, especially when part of the lie is theft of what isn't theirs, and claiming it is.  How frackin' low and petty and stupid and ugly can any one person get?  He finds new lows every minute he's alive and kicking.

2 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

Yea, not even close. Obama had ~500k subway riders in '09 and ~300k in '13. Bush in '05 had ~195k, similar to what Trump had today. There are a lot of good reasons which make sense on why Trump didn't have as many people there as Obama but that doesn't change the fact that Trump's crowd wasn't even close to Obama's.

Just now, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Did I just hear that his first act is to go on vacation? So he starts pretending to be president on Monday?

Yea. He's taking Saturday/Sunday off.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm saying that with gerrymandering allowed for the creation of majority districts the natural effect of concentrating minority voters (who tend to vote Democratic at higher rates than whites) is to create rump districts that will tend to vote more Republican.  Can gerrymandering for political effect be eliminated while allowing gerrymandering for the creation of minority majority districts?

Yes, and we've talked about how several times before. 

4 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

Well, a lot fewer people took the Metro to get there:

Metro Ridership: As of 11am, 193k trips taken so far today. (11am 1/20/13 = 317k, 11am 1/20/09 = 513k, 11am 1/20/05 = 197k)

Fewer than Bush's reelection in 05 is pretty damning.  Maybe Trump supporters hate public transit? 

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Well, a lot fewer people took the Metro to get there:

Fewer than Bush's reelection in 05 is pretty damning.  Maybe Trump supporters hate public transit? 

I saw photos of near empty metro cars this morning and I overlook a metro stop suggested for pedestrians to start their walk to the route etc. Very little foot traffic that I could see. No shortage of National Guard .2 miles from our building. We live about a mile from the Capitol and half a mile to Union Station. 

and FWIW @POTUS and @FLOTUS Twitter have American flags as backgrounds now.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I didn't expect prejudice to be mentioned at all, but instead the one mention is that it is not possible, if you are sufficiently patriotic.  That is either bafflingly naive or incredibly insulting. 

My interpretation of this is far, far darker.

Instead of being racist or sexist or bigoted, you can simply be patriotic. If you're patriotic you simply CANNOT be racist. If you're attacking someone for protesting you're not doing it because of their race - you're doing it because they are not patriotic enough. This frames anyone who is against Trump for whatever reason as simply not being patriotic, and anyone who is for him as being patriotic, and justifies actions of those patriots regardless of anything else.

• So yeah, kicking immigrants out? Patriotism.
  • Supporting police and attacking black lives matter protesters? Patriotism.
  • Being for a muslim registry? Patriotism.
  • Being against LGBT rights? Patriotism. 

That right there was a line spoken by Trump, but written by Bannon. That is exactly how Bannon thinks.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Who gives a flying fuck about the attendance? Seriously, it's time we start concentrating on bones that have more meat on them. 

Agreed.  I feel the same way about the obsession with stock speeches.  

Archived