U.S. Politics Inaguration Sensation: Be Prepared

Sivin

I think Obama overestimates the number of people who like to hear a former President commenting on the policies of a current one.

Depends on the policy. Certainly you don't want former Presidents constantly commenting/critiquing. However, something like Trump calling for a Muslim ban is a whole other story. In that case you might even see George W Bush speaking up. And yes, while people don't usually like former Presidents speaking out on a current President's policies, in the case of this type of policy they would.

Also, it's a norm that usually prevents former Presidents from speaking out very often. Since Trump likes to trample norms, he has a lot less of a leg to stand on if he complains about this norm being violated.

You. Can't. Make. This. Shit. Up.

The journalists had a bit of fun with this paragraph:

Mr. Perry, who once called for the elimination of the Energy Department, will begin the confirmation process Thursday with a hearing before the Senate Energy Committee. If approved by the Senate, he will take over from a secretary, Ernest J. Moniz, who was chairman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology physics department and directed the linear accelerator at M.I.T.’s Laboratory for Nuclear Science. Before Mr. Moniz, the job belonged to Steven Chu, a physicist who won a Nobel Prize.

@DunderMifflin What everyone is saying is that voter suppression has been widely used by the Republican Party in recent times, especially to disenfranchise people from minorities. This is evident through a simple reading of the wikipedia page, which has all the sources/references you could want. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_suppression_in_the_United_States

That being said, I'm not certain why felons are barred from voting in the US. While I can understand that one could be forbidden from voting while in jail, I see no reason for this once one has served their time.

I just asked Mr. Google about felon's voting rights, and in many states the right to vote can be reinstated once parole is complete.  More here;  https://exoffenders.net/felon-voting-rights/

edt; I like Maine's approach; Maine – There is no loss of rights. Voting can be done via absentee ballot even while in jail. (Title 21-A §112)

In Vermont the incarcerated also do not lose their voting rights and like in Maine they can vote absentee. 

19 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

I just asked Mr. Google about felon's voting rights, and in many states the right to vote can be reinstated once parole is complete.  More here;  https://exoffenders.net/felon-voting-rights/

edt; I like Maine's approach; Maine – There is no loss of rights. Voting can be done via absentee ballot even while in jail. (Title 21-A §112)

In Vermont the incarcerated also do not lose their voting rights and like in Maine they can vote absentee. 

In South Carolina, believe it or not, felons, after release have the right to vote, as is only proper in my opinion.  

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

In South Carolina, believe it or not, felons, after release have the right to vote, as is only proper in my opinion.  

Having heard that all felons lose all rights to vote after release, it was interesting to find out that that is not so.  Yes, in most states most felons must go through the cycle; incarceration, release, probation, with a return of rights restored once complete.  Frankly, I prefer Maine and Vermont's approach, but it is good to know that complete loss of voting rights forever isn't true in most states either.

Fox news (believe it or not), via an MSNBC article, exposing a false claim that 100,000 protesters are being paid $2,500.00 a piece to go to DC to protest Trump's inauguration:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/how-a-hoax-website-about-paid-protesters-came-crumbling-down-live-on-tv/ar-AAlZKj1?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=msnHomepage

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Fox news, via an MSNBC article, exposing a false claim that 100,000 protesters are being paid $2,500.00 a piece to go to DC to protest Trump's inauguration:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/how-a-hoax-website-about-paid-protesters-came-crumbling-down-live-on-tv/ar-AAlZKj1?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=msnHomepage

This shit drives me nuts, especially because it gets so much play and is so obviously false. 

I watched some clips of Betsy DeVos' confirmation hearing yesterday where she not only knew fuck all about Education in the United States but also pretty much admitted that she gained influence by her family donating $200m to Republicans (her nomination plus Erik Prince, her mercenary brother, will be a shadow advisor for Trump, whatever that means). This woman is going to actually get confirmed. How can a Senate Republican sit there, watch her stumble on every single answer, refuse to answer the most basic question about supporting "equal accountability" among schools  and still vote her? This is a woman who has never been to public school, never put her kids in public school, knows no one in her immediate circle who has been to public school and wants to gut public school across the country. And this is the woman to lead our Education department and make it better?

This is one of the biggest things wrong with our political system; the fact that right now, Senate Republicans do not give a fuck whether someone is qualified for the position or not, they just care that they're Republican and nominated by Trump. How is there not two to three Republicans out there with a spine to put the country first and party politics second?

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

This shit drives me nuts, especially because it gets so much play and is so obviously false. 

I watched some clips of Betsy DeVos' confirmation hearing yesterday where she not only knew fuck all about Education in the United States but also pretty much admitted that she gained influence by her family donating $200m to Republicans (her nomination plus Erik Prince, her mercenary brother, will be a shadow advisor for Trump, whatever that means). This woman is going to actually get confirmed. How can a Senate Republican sit there, watch her stumble on every single answer, refuse to answer the most basic question about supporting "equal accountability" among schools  and still vote her? This is a woman who has never been to public school, never put her kids in public school, knows no one in her immediate circle who has been to public school and wants to gut public school across the country. And this is the woman to lead our Education department and make it better?

This is one of the biggest things wrong with our political system; the fact that right now, Senate Republicans do not give a fuck whether someone is qualified for the position or not, they just care that they're Republican and nominated by Trump. How is there not two to three Republicans out there with a spine to put the country first and party politics second?

She also wants to use schools to "advance God's kingdom", and hopes that churches will get more involved in schools and education.

We are so screwed. 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

She also wants to use schools to "advance God's kingdom", and hopes that churches will get more involved in schools and education.

We are so screwed. 

I'm just waiting for the "Flat Earthers" to demand that the "controversy" be taught in schools.  

:(

https://ncse.com/cej/2/1/equal-time-flat-earth-science

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Im familiar with them. I'm just saying I don't see a huge difference in the racism of these two political parties based on this or any other issue.

Republicans say "nah, it's about voter fraud" which no one including myself believes. It's clear to me they just want to win elections. The motive is there. 

Democrats have the same motive. They can say what they want about their reasons for being against these laws but it's clear to me they just want to win elections also. 

I don't buy any boasting about them being morally superior anymore than I buy the bullshit "it's about voter fraud" that Republicans throw out there.

This is clearly two parties treating minorities as pawns IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

We are so screwed. 

Yea, there are a lot of things to hate about her but I'm more interested in how Senate Republicans can vote for people who are clearly unqualified (see DeVos, Carson, Perry) or corrupt (see Price, Mnuchin). I get wanting a Republican and I get not wanting to piss off Trump but at some point, they have to realize they're on the hook when all these things fail right?

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Yea, there are a lot of things to hate about her but I'm more interested in how Senate Republicans can vote for people who are clearly unqualified (see DeVos, Carson, Perry) or corrupt (see Price, Mnuchin). I get wanting a Republican and I get not wanting to piss off Trump but at some point, they have to realize they're on the hook when all these things fail right?

Party before country. The Republican way for decades. DeVos' support for charter schools and willingness to gut public education funding is their Milton Friedman dream come true. 

Just now, Mexal said:

Many of these R's want the same as DeVos, a 'return to god' in school including school prayer.  Having spent four years in grade school in a Catholic school, this makes me cringe, especially the 'prayer in school' thing as many of it's advocates claim it's a magical be all/end all to solving all sorts of issues around child behavior and society.  Uh, no, no it doesn't let me say that from experience. As for the unqualified/corrupt, I don't think they give a shit as she is one of the tribe and the D's are just being mean!

Archived