What is Your Favorite SEGA Games?

Kashfiya Rafa

13 minutes ago, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

I liked some of the first Madden's Sega had. Evander Holyfield boxing was cool also. None of them compared to Road Rash though.

Now that you brought up sports games, I feel compelled to go to the other extreme. Possibly the worst, most frustrating baseball videogame ever made. Tommy Lasorda Baseball. Holy shit. Take about banging your head against a brick wall. Almost impossible to string 2 hits together. Terrible fucking game.

Frustrating Sega games. From personal experience I would probably add Ultima IV for the Master System.

Not that it's a bad game or something, let's just say my English was not on a level where I could play this. So that was the most frustrating game for me. Whoever brought up Moonwalker, I didn't enjoy that game too much. The difficulty was not particularly high. Push Button 1+2 and Wacko Jacko does the moonwalk and K.O. opponents with his dancing moves.

4 hours ago, matt b said:

There was an X-Men game I used to play the hell out of back in the day. You had 4 different options of characters you could play, but I recall sticking mostly to Wolverine and Cyclops. That's about all I remember from it, but I know I put a lot of hours into it.

I remember playing the shit out of that one too. Don't think I ever beat it though. 

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I remember playing the shit out of that one too. Don't think I ever beat it though. 

I was just playing this the other day. It sure seems a lot more difficult now than it did back in the day. Hands down my favorite game on the Genesis.

19 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Now that you brought up sports games, I feel compelled to go to the other extreme. Possibly the worst, most frustrating baseball videogame ever made. Tommy Lasorda Baseball. Holy shit. Take about banging your head against a brick wall. Almost impossible to string 2 hits together. Terrible fucking game.

When I think Genesis sports games... I think Joe Montana Sports Talk Football.  There was a fake field goal play that I could complete for a touchdown every. damn. time. 

I can still remember the announcer now "Its first and ten... and here comes the field goal team... I can't believe it." :lol: 

22 hours ago, matt b said:

There was an X-Men game I used to play the hell out of back in the day. You had 4 different options of characters you could play, but I recall sticking mostly to Wolverine and Cyclops. That's about all I remember from it, but I know I put a lot of hours into it.

There were two X-Men games for the Genesis that I had.  The first one was a lot of fun, but didn't always make a lot of sense.  Wolverine's mutant power gauge was used up by extending his claws.  :lol:  The second one was an improvement in every way.  Nightcrawler's teleporting in that one was awesome.

Golden Axes, Phantasy Star Series (III was my favorite because you played across multiple generations and could get different outcomes/endings based on who had kids with whom), Sonic, Mortal Kombat, The X-Men game mentioned above, Hellfire was another favorite, and I put a ton of hours into Star Control.  Toejam & Earl (that's getting rebooted btw), NBA Jam.  Sure there's more but those are off the top of my head.

On 22.1.2017 at 10:53 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Ultima IV was my first rpg and loved it. (Sega master systrm)

Yes, but like I said, my English was simply not up to the task back then. Just picture stubborn little me trying to play that game with insufficient language skills armed with a dictionary and determined to play it. I am not sure, it might have been the around the time I first had English in school. So hardly a clue about tenses and stuff. Like I said, my frustration with the game back then, was probably not down to the game itself.

I had the X-Men game too. The playable characters were Cyclops, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Gambit, but you could also call upon other X-men to help, each one once per life or once per game or something. Iceman would make ice bridges if you needed to get across somewhere, Storm would come down and help with fighting by bringing wind and lightning, Archangel flew back and forth across the screen blasting everything, and Rogue would come out and super punch or pick up and drop the bad guy. Also whenever you fell Jean Grey would appear and bring you back up. I loved the "schtick" sound effect when Wolverine let his claws out, but yeah it sucked that it took power away just for having them out. However I loved it when he'd go into out of control berserker rage when his power went all the way down. I could never beat this game though.

Another game I had for Sega Genesis that I did beat was Captain America and The Avengers. That was fun, like X-Men it was one or two players, two players could play simultaneously. You could be Captain America who threw his shield and could block with it, Iron Man who could fly and shoot fire, Vision who could fly and shoot lasers, or Hawkeye who could shoot arrows and block with his bow. There were other more intricate moves you could learn. Wasp and Quicksilver would show up as NPC's to help too. The dialogue could get corny or just weird in that game.

There was a game I rented a few times and really liked but never owned. The Death and Return of Superman. It was one of the few Superman games that was really any good. It followed the Death and Return of Superman comic book storyline. You played as Superman, Visor Superman, Cyborg Superman, Superboy, Steel, and black suited Superman as the game progressed. I liked being able to control in the game whether Superman would fly or be on the ground.

I got my Genesis the first year it was out, so my pack in game was Altered Beast. That was an easy game to beat but it was very fun. The electric dragon was the most awesome beast mode, the bear the silliest.

8 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, NHL '94, and Turok the Dinosaur Hunter

Yeah... Crash Bandicoot was PlayStation. And while someone mentioned Battletoads upthread, I thought they were Nintendo exclusives.

I'm just going to go with games developed or published by sega. A lot of answers are just games that could be played on a sega system.

1 - NBA2k games when they were still made by sega.

2 - NFL2K was better than Madden, so they had to pull a dirtbag move to enable shitty Madden games to continue to be churned out

3 - Magic: The Gathering (played this on Dreamcast only once, very rare)

Archived