US Politics: There's No Morning After Pill

Fragile Bird

Mex, there was at least 4 minutes between your two posts. For the love of god man, how could you survive so long in such an unbearable state???

Someone make a new thread so we can bury my shame.

I had it on for awhile before making that post then felt the need to update when I did see coverage.

@sToNED_CAT

US trade deficit with Mexico (and Canada) went up significantly after NAFTA was signed, so there were job losses, not as many as because China but it was still enough. Besides if US puts tariffs on China, it needs to do something with Mexico too, otherwise those jobs will go to Mexico not US.

Trade deficits do not mean job losses in the aggregate necessarily. I thought I explained this. A country can be at full employment, while running a trade deficit, though their would likely be distributional impacts because of the trade.

There is about 0 evidence we lost jobs to Mexico or Canada.

That robots and automatization BS is just globalist excuse for falire of their policies, strangely sucessful countries like Germany are not that affected by automatization at all (relatively speaking)... Also it is not that new phenomenon, but before China entry into WTO, the manufacturing employment was relatively stable during 90ties (17mil), despite increasing use of robots.

It isn't just in the US where the share of manufacturing jobs have been declining. It's been noticed in other countries. To include Germany. 

And I don't deny that China had a negative aggregate impact on jobs in the US. Not just a change in the composition of jobs that trade theory would predict, but an impact on the overall level. The problem is that the negative effects of that can't be easily reversed, I don't think, because of automation. And because the way global value chains have been set up.

And when you say manufacturing employment has been stable do you mean in raw numbers or in percentage terms? That makes a difference.

Also the main problem with China is not that they save too much, but that China treats US (and to lesser extent EU too) like enemy and puts deliberate obstacles for American exporters and investors. It is about time someone returned the favor. Poeple are worried about trade wars? Well there already is a trade war going on, the problem is America was not fighting.

CA = S - I

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/25/china-savings-rate-versus-the-world-in-a-chart.html

30 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Looks like the Chicago March exceeded expectations so much so that the March portion had to be skipped...

O wow.  We went up to march with some of our friends in Harlem.  But our arthritis didn't allow us to continue all the way down to the UN, which was the objective for that particular one.  So I'm back home again.  Scanning through various reporting online sites, etc.

Student Loan Collector Cheated Millions, Lawsuits Say

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/business/dealbook/student-loans-navient-lawsuit.html?_r=0

Watch Elizabeth Warren’s fiery speech at the Women’s March in Boston
“Yesterday, Donald Trump was sworn in as president. That sight is now burned into my eyes forever.”
Updated by German [email protected]@vox.com  Jan 21, 2017, 1:19pm EST

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/1/21/14346308/elizabeth-warren-womens-march-trump

The crowds at the marches across the country are enormous. The Washington, DC organizers got a permit for 200,000, but crowd estimates are as high as 500,000 and the march to the White House has been cancelled because it's too big.

Boston expected 25,000 to show up and the crowd estimate is 125,000.

And 40,000 were expected in Denver, but CNN is reporting 100,000 have shown up and a local news station says it's closer to 200,000.  In Denver! :o 

Same story in every city everywhere across the US, and bigger than expected crowds in cities around the world.

57 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Watch Elizabeth Warren’s fiery speech at the Women’s March in Boston
“Yesterday, Donald Trump was sworn in as president. That sight is now burned into my eyes forever.”
Updated by German [email protected]@vox.com  Jan 21, 2017, 1:19pm EST

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/1/21/14346308/elizabeth-warren-womens-march-trump

The DNC needs to get behind Warren as a Presidential candidate like yesterday. She is a superstar. I don't care how old she is, this needs to happen. 

I have been watching various stations to see the news about the Women's marches, and a commercial comes on CNN extolling the virtues of Jeff Sessions and urging viewers to call their senators to push for his confirmation.

I'm interpreting this as meaning the Republicans are seriously worried. 

19 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The crowds at the marches across the country are enormous. The Washington, DC organizers got a permit for 200,000, but crowd estimates are as high as 500,000 and the march to the White House has been cancelled because it's too big.

Boston expected 25,000 to show up and the crowd estimate is 125,000.

And 40,000 were expected in Denver, but CNN is reporting 100,000 have shown up and a local news station says it's closer to 200,000.  In Denver! :o 

Same story in every city everywhere across the US, and bigger than expected crowds in cities around the world.

My sister reports a march reported to be about 10,000 in Des Monies, Iowa, and even Reno, NV had an expected march of 2200 actually being 4 to 5K according to my brother.   

CNN has now reported organizers are trying to get the march to the White House re-routed down Constitution, I think they said, but that there are so many marchers at the White House already they really can't march there, there are too many people.

And DT just left the White House to go to CIA headquarters to make announcements, and had to drive past the crowds.

I was supposed to go to the Charleston march, but unfortunately I've been laid up all day with a bad stomach bug. I know they had to move the location a couple days ago due to the larger than expected interest, and their Facebook page shows a pretty good crowd. Watched some coverage of the DC march on YouTube and it was very inspiring but also disheartening, because as many people and as much as we care, I don't think we can really influence anything. 

Report: Trump's Inaugural Address Written by Steve Bannon, Stephen Miller

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2017/01/21/trump-s-inauguration-speech-written-by-steve-bannon-stephen-miller.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

White Supremacist Leader Congratulates Trump: ‘We Did It!’

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2017/01/21/white-supremacist-leader-congratulates-trump-we-did-it.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

A Short History of 'America First'
The phrase used by President Trump has been linked to anti-Semitism during World War II.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/trump-america-first/514037/

It can't happen here.

Archived