US Politics: There's No Morning After Pill

Fragile Bird

I said nothing about gender. I happen to live in the state where she campaigned for senator and had a decent view of her campaigning skills. She is niche in the sense that she appeals to the core, urban democrats voters only and has no crossover appeal to voters the democrats will need to win over in the future. Bernie is quite different in that he has some ability to connect with rural voters and appeals to independents more than Warren ever could. He is also light years ahead of Warren in his campaigning ability. Don't forget that Warren is a Cambridge, MA based democrat. She could not be less appealing to the midwest swing voters that the Democrats will need to swing back to them to in the next election.  

Fair enough. You're more familiar than me, as I'm not from that state. The use of the term identity politics made it sound like a gendered attack, like she only focuses on women's issues.

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Not gonna lie, that makes me all warm inside.  Though the problem, of course, is that he's now creating whatever news he wants and his supporters will believe him because they are living in their own post-truth reality.  

Many posts from Trumpetters were saying things like how they were at work so this undercut them as well. I know they change course but so many pat lines they have ready are not going to work much.

No surprise Trump got obsessed over the size of something.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

First press briefing with Trump as President and Sean Spicer blasts the media and proclaims yesterday's crowd was the largest inauguration crowd ever. Nothing more important to discuss. Oh and then he stormed off after claiming the Press will be held accountable. Lord help us all.

Any video of this?

1 minute ago, kairparabola said:

It's a slam on "Christian" Conservatives.

People who put themselves above all others holding to the "prosperity gospel" missed a lot of what Christ said about "the Rich".  

This has a video of the press briefing.  Wow Spicer sounds terrible:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-press-secretary-claims-inauguration-grew-largest-crowd-article-1.2952666

23 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

People who put themselves above all others holding to the "prosperity gospel" missed a lot of what Christ said about "the Rich".

Well, it goes a bit deeper than this.  Back in the '80's there were Jesus freaks, holy rollers and TV Evangelicals all vying for your heavenly dollar.  There were other jokes and some great bumper stickers too.  Them was the daze.

21 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I found and just linked an article with video.  Watched the whole thing  Spicer was terrible.

That was hard to watch. I disagree that he's gone full Goebbels, I've read that guy was actually decent at his job.

The repeated use of 'patriotism' concerns me.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Well I think they are a distinct sect of Christianity, ie the Ayn Rand Christians. If I recall correctly they stormed out of the Council of Nicaea, in protest, after hearing somebody say, "The Poor ain't so bad."

They're followers of Supply Side Jesus:

5 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

That was hard to watch. I disagree that he's gone full Goebbels, I've read that guy was actually decent at his job.

The repeated use of 'patriotism' concerns me.

Yep. It's another way of saying "nationalism".

6 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Well I think they are a distinct sect of Christianity, ie the Ayn Rand Christians. If I recall correctly they stormed out of the Council of Nicaea, in protest, after hearing somebody say, "The Poor ain't so bad."

Well, the Catholics I grew up with always wanted their followers to pony up the cash.  They hounded my mother until her dying day for 'just 5$' for blah blah blah cause.  Shameless.

Now, our new shiny new VP is a pious church going man who so valiantly wants the religious to 'not lose their rights to worship as they see fit, even if that includes being mean to minorities of all types', so I can't help but wonder how that's gonna turn out.

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Yep. It's another way of saying "nationalism".

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to get pretty worried. All this marching is great, but why will the Republicans care? The ones who don't believe in whatever lies they want to tell themselves have shown no inclination to do anything but follow the rest of the party.

This time last year everyone was talking about how the Republican party was going to destroy itself, I think they've won.

Just now, Nasty LongRider said:

Now, our new shiny new VP is a pious church going man who so valiantly wants the religious to 'not lose their rights to worship as they see fit, even if that includes being mean to minorities of all types', so I can't help but wonder how that's gonna turn out.

Yeah, there is a lot of bullshit here by people like Pence. What people like Pence really mean is: I want you to have the "right" to hold public office and not issue marriage licenses to gay people, among other things.

A Poem for Trump
What Happened: It’s rare that poetry makes the news. This story might reveal why.
Where It Blew Up: Twitter, media reports
What Really Happened: This one is both strange and wonderful. The Scotsman, which as the name suggests, is a Scottish newspaper, ran a report early this week about a poem written by an American writer named Joseph Charles MacKenzie celebrating Donald Trump’s rise to power from the perspective of his Scottish roots. (Trump’s mother Mary was Scottish.) The poem was… well, it opens with “With purpose and strength he came down from his tower/To snatch from a tyrant his ill-gotten power,” and includes this excerpt:

“But for all his great wisdom, the braw gallant man
Is matched by his children, the handsome Trump clan,
And the flower of Europe, Melania the fair,
Adds a luster and grace with her long flowing hair.”

That should give you an idea of the quality of the poem. Twitter was, obviously, impressed:

While You Were Offline: The Internet Can’t Look Away From Kellyanne Conway’s Outfit

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/internet-week-103/

14 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Ayn Rand the aggressive atheist that she was.

Archived