US Politics: There's No Morning After Pill

Fragile Bird

39 minutes ago, Notone said:

Ahum, especially as a Bavarian you ought not cast stones so hastily at the yanks and their embarassment in chief. I have three letters for you FJS. He checked quite a few of the Trump boxes, too. And your southern tribe is still cherishing him like an icon in an orthodox church. Not mention your current chieftain and his tribal council.

We deserve every stone cast at us for electing our orange monster. A little better than half the country shares that shock at what's happened. Its going to be a long, long 4 years.

I actually laughed out loud when he [Spicer] said the White House is going to hold the press to account and others to account when they don't tell the truth, like Lewis saying he had never missed an inauguration when he missed George Bush's (W, I think), and the story about the MLK bust being moved. Yet when people call on Trump on his lies, Trump goes nuts.

58 minutes ago, Notone said:

Ahum, especially as a Bavarian you ought not cast stones so hastily at the yanks and their embarassment in chief. I have three letters for you FJS. He checked quite a few of the Trump boxes, too. And your southern tribe is still cherishing him like an icon in an orthodox church. Not mention your current chieftain and his tribal council.

Could we do without the slights? I know, it's Bavaria, but still. As to FJS... Yes and no. Horrible, no doubt. But some differences to St. Donald: 1. He was NOT stupid (far more intelligent than we gave him credit for) 2. Not even he behaved as embarrassingly in public or spoke about monorities or women in such a way. Even though these times were far less pc. Also, fearless men and women saved the country from him, he didn't make chancellor.

I wonder if it is really constructive for us to quarrel about whether Trump is the worst in (American) history or in the world... He is bad enough.

I guess when it comes to reactonary ideology, his uniqueness is debatable. However, what concerns me most is the combination with his blatantly narcissistic personality. Michael Moore called him "slightly unhinged," and if there ever was an understatement...

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

No, you can't.  Reagan and GWB were governor's of California and Texas, respectively.  Both did a good enough job to get reelected in those positions.  Being governor of a large state is probably the best possible experience for being president (save perhaps vice president), and thus they were undeniably qualified when they took office.  Trump has nothing like that. 

EXACTLY. There has been nothing like this to compare it to. He's never held any sort of public office. He's singular.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I actually laughed out loud when he [Spicer] said the White House is going to hold the press to account and others to account when they don't tell the truth, like Lewis saying he had never missed an inauguration when he missed George Bush's (W, I think), and the story about the MLK bust being moved. Yet when people call on Trump on his lies, Trump goes nuts.

I kinda like this guys remedy to the press conference BS.

Aaaaand they double down on the "not letting China use those islands" statement. That's not worrying at all. They have some wriggle-room in that they can argue about the status of the islands for ages first, though.

28 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Funny thing about that is the reporter apologized quickly (on inauguration day) and Sean Spice accepted the apology publicly. 

Lollolololololololol!

Sean Spicer just explained that "the largest crowd witnessing an inauguration both in person and around globe" in no way means the largest crowd in person and the largest crowd around the globe, it means actual crowd + viewers around the world together, and he can't understand how anyone could have interpreted it in any other way.

39 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

2. Not even he behaved as embarrassingly in public or spoke about monorities or women in such a way. Even though these times were far less pc. Also, fearless men and women saved the country from him, he didn't make chancellor.

Though this goes a bit off topic, so my last comment on that issue. Wasn't there this trip to NYC, where he used the service of working girls, and when it came out he pretended he was mugged in Central Park or something? Yes, he was smarter than Trump, I give him full credit for that. He nevertheless was a horrible human being. Less PC, but also pre internet. Wasn't one of his more famous quotations:

"Better to be a cold warrior than a rear gunner?" What other pearls of wisdom did he spread? "A nation with our economic achievement has a right not wanting to hear about Auschwitz anymore." (statement made in an interview in 1978).

Anyway, with Trump boxes he checked I had specifically those two in mind:

1. Right wing populist (say it like it is guy)

2. Not the most keen defender of the freedom of the press.

3. A lot of corruption allegations. 

And as you said, it's Bavaria I was talking about, so the whole of Germany dodging that bullet does not mean I can't point out that the poster's home state has a history of putting a corrupt populist in charge. And he was governor of that state for how long? And down there, there's still this weird almost cult like following that person. And he is dead and gone for almost 30 years.

@Notone - Thanks for reminding me of FJS' adventures in NYC, it has probably slipped my mind or I repressed it consciously... I guess I was thinking of public comments like when DT wondered where this female journalist was bleeding and how yucky that was.and such. Of course you are right, that was pre internet and pre reality tv, which has somewhat numbed people's senses. And politicians could hide a lot more before the internet came up. But I still don't think anyone would get away with something like that here. Not even in Bavaria. Anyway, I wasn't defending him. Oh yes, he even managed to have a journalist/ editor tried for treason (after publishing an article criticizing the army and its ability of defense).

Sure you can point things out, but what is the point? Person A seems to want to rub it in for the US folks again and again. Persons A, B and C lash out back against Germans (not you) or Bavarians and so on... while there are lots of nice, progressive people in B., just as there are in the US.

Last Bavaria joke from me: They also still adore King Ludwig II, who has been gone much longer. (But then, he probably was much nicer. And gay. Which, you know, in Bavaria... never mind)

ETA: You know, when FJS ran for Chancellor, there was this huge "Stop Strauss" movement, including many artists who spoke out and who gave concerts and rallyes and such. It worked! It may work again, if a bit belatedly, against DT.

Another feather indicating the velocity of the winds that oppose his regime and him personally -- I cannot recall ever a political comment out of a Hi and Lois comic, but there's one today --  it is clever while being subtle.

It can be seen here -- scroll all the way down. Lots of stuff about the protests around the world telling little hands they don't like him above that, as well as one small method of keeping the pressure up.

I just heard one of those guys say, "Yah, the facts.  Well we can disagree with facts."

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

There is severing ties and then there is severing ties.  Tillerson has spent his entire adult career as a part of ExxonMobil, has he not? And Maddow had some interesting connections between ExxonMobil holdings in Russia vs the rest of the world and exactly how much they were actually drilling in Russia vs the rest of the world...something stinks here.  

See if I can find the link...Found it...

He has. And I'm not saying I necessarily believe that he really has severed all ties, including stock, but I do believe that Republican senators would be more credulous of a business leader than I am. So I could see them being convinced that he's in a position now where ExxonMobil's interests don't affect his judgment.

As far as Russia goes, I'm sure ExxonMobil would like to drill there, but I doubt its their biggest priority. In 2015, the company had $269 billion in revenue and they reported that the sanctions preventing Russian drilling were costing them $1 billion that year. Hard to know what revenue they'd be getting if they could drill, but it doesn't seem like a long-term problem if they can't touch it for a while. Also, this isn't the first story where I've seen analysts say that although ExxonMobil has the rights to a lot of oil in the Russian Arctic, there are a lot of issues beyond just political ones that make it difficult to make a profit of it and that there are other ventures the company is far more interested in.

If Tillerson does mainly want to support ExxonMobil's interests, I think the bigger issues will be supporting oil-friendly regimes in South America (and maybe Africa), playing hardball with Canada over the oil sands, and getting into who-know-what in the Middle East. Russia seems like a side issue for them.

2 hours ago, Notone said:

Notone, FJS was a lot of things, even corrupt. But he was one of the most intelligent politicians of his time...to compare him to Trump is like comparing Britney Spears with Beethoven...

11 minutes ago, Fez said:

If Tillerson does mainly want to support ExxonMobil's interests, I think the bigger issues will be supporting oil-friendly regimes in South America (and maybe Africa), playing hardball with Canada over the oil sands, and getting into who-know-what in the Middle East. Russia seems like a side issue for them.

Fez, playing hardball with Canada on the oil sands was Obama's thing, and he did that by not allowing the Keystone XL pipeline to be built.  Trump says he will allow it to be built. But as for oil itself, the US imports 60% of it's oil, and 40% of that comes from Canada. In other words, 24% of US oil comes from Canada. If the US plays hardball, say on NAFTA, Canada can also play hardball.

In the meantime the Dems have learned frackin' zero:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/01/23/democrats_missed_women_s_march_for_david_brock_donor_retreat.html

As for the issue here right now: it seems we'd all be better off not criticizing each others' countries a$$hatedness, but supporting each others' countries' people who are trying to change things.  They are in solidarity to make the alt-white male looter new world order that will destroy what's left of the planet sooner rather than later -- i.e. in the lifetimes even of us who are middle-aged or older.  We have to have own interglobal vision and actions to stop them.

Coming back to policies...TPP has been killed, TTIP is basically dead. What will be DJT's next steps? Starting a trade war with Mexico, China and Europe (Germany)? I hope there are some Republicans with a brain left who can explain to Mr Trump that we will all lose in such a scenario!

Actually it's unbelievable...weren't the Republicans the self-proclaimed guardians of free markets and capitalism? Nothing of Trump's economic policies make mid- and long-term sense. You cannot turn back the wheel of time and protectionism and mercantilism didn't even work a 100 years ago...

Potemkin villages, this is what DJT will "deliver"...

17 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Fez, playing hardball with Canada on the oil sands was Obama's thing, and he did that by not allowing the Keystone XL pipeline to be built.  Trump says he will allow it to be built. But as for oil itself, the US imports 60% of it's oil, and 40% of that comes from Canada. In other words, 24% of US oil comes from Canada. If the US plays hardball, say on NAFTA, Canada can also play hardball.

ExxonMobil drills quite a bit of Canadian oil and owns stakes in most Canadian oil firms (for instance, they own over two-thirds of Imperial Oil Limited); if they worked in partnership with the US government they could squeeze Canada pretty easily to make production more profitable for US-based firms operating in Canada.

Archived