If Stannis took the blackwater would the war be over?

Stormking902

I don't think Stannis would've enjoyed a long reign if he'd won on the Blackwater. Even forgetting the Lannisters and Tyrells strengths, and the claims of Tommen and Myrcella - Stannis was just a total dick.

He's my favourite character, and I genuinely think (or hope) he'll sit the Throne in the end, but he's only just learning that loyalty needs to be earned by deeds, not demanded. Had he won on the Blackwater, he'd have imposed so many of his own rules and beliefs on the common folk that he'd have been despised. I mean, the fact that he follows the Lord of Light alone would make his position pretty much untenable. Are the common folk really going to follow a King who the Faith pretty much has to denounce? Especially when it's a King who'd likely ban whoring, etc, as well.

According to the Wiki, there's 500,000 people in King's Landing. That's more than enough to overwhelm any army if they get mad enough.

That isn't even getting into diplomatic issues. Lords who don't feel appreciated or respected aren't going to stay loyal. Eventually he'd have offended enough of them to the point that, even if there were no other claimants available (like Tommen, Myrcella or Daenerys), they'd rather name one of their own King than follow Stannis any longer.

If it was anyone but Stannis I would say yes, war over, but Stannis and his grudges would

Not allow him to make peace/pardon the Tyrells in an acceptable way. Leading them into Tywins comparatively open arms.

Nor would it let him have Robb maintain his KitN status which may or may not be a deal breaker at that point. I'm inclined to believe not however, since Ned wanted Stannis on the throne and Robb knows that.

As someone mentioned earlier Stannis would have the Redwyne twins gaining him access to the fleet idk how much that matters though because I would imagine the Lannister/Tyrell alliance to storm the city to avoid Robb sweeping down on them. 

Varys wouldn't get captured either and god knows what he would do but i doubt it would benefit Stannis.

Archived