Hardcore History Podcast with Dan Carlin

Manhole Eunuchsbane

16 hours ago, red snow said:

... On top of all that the series drove home to me just how important Russia was in bringing WWII to a conclusion and it's quite shocking/sad how much their role was downplayed because they were communist and became the next major threat to western allies. ...

It really is sobering, given our Western educations, the first time you learn that there were something like twice as many German casualties inflicted by Russia than by all other Allied nations combined.

8 hours ago, Davrum said:

It really is sobering, given our Western educations, the first time you learn that there were something like twice as many German casualties inflicted by Russia than by all other Allied nations combined.

I'm trying to find out a bit more about the era as I think it helps grasp the cold war a bit better too. I can imagine if I were a russian who'd fought in world war II I'd be a bit annoyed at how my contribution was overlooked by the Western allies.

For the poster who can't get away with history podcasts - I'd give "in our time" a shot. It's different from all the other podcasts I listen to in the sense they get 3 historians who are experts on a topic to talk and debate it in a 40 minute time-slot. It means you get very current information and often somegood arguments and Melvin Bragg chairs it. They don't just do history so be sure to click on the topics tab. No idea if people outside the UK can access them.

Mike Duncan gets better as he goes along but it is a different beast to Carlin's approach in that he sticks to a regular and shorter approach. Plus the point of History of Rome is to do so chronologically. It means the first few are a bit mythical but it heats up as it goes along. the most interesting parts are on the periods that aren't covered as much eg not the Punic wars and Caesar through to Nero. I'd still take Carlin's take on the Punic wars and the death of the republic over Mike's but Mike does provide a better sense of continuiuty and how far apart/close some events in roman history are. Mike's take on the French Revolution is well worth a listen as it's far more complicated and chaotic than I'd ever assumed from high school history.

12 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Have you tried Patrick Wyman's Fall of Rome? He generally tried to present the latest in academic history and keeps it reltively accesible.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to give it a go as that era seems vague when people try and pin people down on the end. I guess it's partly because it appeared to fade out from what I gathered in Mike Duncan's podcast. Mary Beard dodged the whole thing in SPQR by calling the end of Rome the point at which Caracalla(?) made everyone in the empire a roman citizen. I suspect she's saving it for another book :)

On 1/22/2017 at 11:38 PM, Slurktan said:

Yeah Ghosts is really, really good.  Almost as good for me as Wrath of the Khans (I'm a bit biased as I used to be really into Mongol history).  

And yeah it's fucked up there's a paywall now for HDTGM.  I've been listening since the beginning of it, frustrating that I can't listen to the old ones.  Although I wasn't really paying attention while listening to the latest mini-episode but I think Paul Scheer said they were getting a resolution to that.

Gonna definitely add Ghosts to my "to listen" list along with the Punic Wars. 

HDTGM did open up more of their back catalog but pretty much only from episode 100 from what I can tell. I think they said they'd make their top 25 most listened to episodes free to DL but don't think that has happened yet. 

12 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Have you tried Patrick Wyman's Fall of Rome? He generally tried to present the latest in academic history and keeps it reltively accesible.

I gave it a shot awhile back but could only make it through a few episodes. Just not the gifted storyteller Dan Carlin is IMO. Would have expected a guy who advertised his podcast on Deadspin would be a little more entertaining but wasn't meant to be. 

My experience is similar to S John's - every time I've tried a history podcast besides Hardcore History, it has ended up too dry to hold my interest. His endless tangents are a thing for sure - especially when you're dying to see where the main narrative is going and he's not only wandered off the path but is in the deep woods - but still it's a small quibble to me. The guy's the OG in this area.

11 hours ago, S John said:

DC is really great, it is impressive that he can put together these seemless 4-5 hour shows that flow nicely.  I often find myself wandering if he ever has to get up to pee or anything, because the guy hardly seems to take a breath..

That's kind of the beauty of podcasting. You can just hit the pause button at any time, and then pick-up as if you never left off. From what I understand, it's also pretty easy to edit.

For those who enjoyed Mike Duncan's "The History of Rome" and have listened to all of Dan's episodes, there is also the podcast which Mike cites as his prime inspiration for "The History of Rome", a show called "12 Byzantine Rulers", by Lars Brownworth.

https://12byzantinerulers.com

It's been a decade or so since I listened to it (Lars was one of the pioneers of history podcasting) so I can't really give a reasonable rundown on how they compare, but I do remember enjoying it a whole bunch.

On 24/01/2017 at 8:17 AM, Davrum said:

“Western” might be a misnomer here. I have a Western education as well, and my intuition is actually that the discrepancy is way larger than must a factor 2. I would have guessed 5—in fact, I would have accepted an order of magnitude in difference.

But I can see that statistics don’t support that. Twice as many is a good estimate.

2 hours ago, Davrum said:

For those who enjoyed Mike Duncan's "The History of Rome" and have listened to all of Dan's episodes, there is also the podcast which Mike cites as his prime inspiration for "The History of Rome", a show called "12 Byzantine Rulers", by Lars Brownworth.

https://12byzantinerulers.com

It's been a decade or so since I listened to it (Lars was one of the pioneers of history podcasting) so I can't really give a reasonable rundown on how they compare, but I do remember enjoying it a whole bunch.

Funny, I listened to Brownworth's book 'Lost to the West' on tape late last summer, it was very brief but engaging. I refuse, however, to acknowledge this 'Byzantium' nonsense. When a Greek coastal town only noteworthy for its proximity to the greatest center of Roman civilization to ever exist builds its own empire, I will acknowledge it with the name of such town.

started listening to "the fall of Rome". The content and approach is really good but either my download of episode 1 went horribly wrong or he really needs to do some better editing. He kept tripping over words and repeating sentences giving the impression i was listening to Porky Pig. Not bad enough to ruin the listening experience but annoying.

1 hour ago, Happy Ent said:

“Western” might be a misnomer here. I have a Western education as well, and my intuition is actually that the discrepancy is way larger than must a factor 2. I would have guessed 5—in fact, I would have accepted an order of magnitude in difference.

But I can see that statistics don’t support that. Twice as many is a good estimate.

I agree. I've always been told that the Soviets inflicted the vast majority of combat casualties the Germans suffered. However, the claim that the USSR won WWII practically on their own woefully underestimates the damage inflicted by the Western Allies by air and by the sea blockade, and also, to a lesser extent, the Soviets reliance on strategic Western supplies.

I just wanted to say these Podcasts are fantastic, they have single handedly got me into listening to podcasts on a regular basis. The way Dan makes history feel like a narrative, as entertainment puts him up there with say Simon Scharma or David Starkey in my history listening / watching.

Even on topics I really didn't think I thought I would find much interest in, say WW1, which I studied a lot at school which put me right off, suddenly I developed an intense interest in. 

The Munster episode is also very gripping, again despite not being something I thought I would have much interest in.

4 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

The Munster episode is also very gripping, again despite not being something I thought I would have much interest in.

Yeah, that story was absolutely amazing. I was thinking it would make for an amazing mini-series. The cast of characters alone was pretty incredible. He laid that whole thing out masterfully.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, that story was absolutely amazing. I was thinking it would make for an amazing mini-series. The cast of characters alone was pretty incredible. He laid that whole thing out masterfully.

Surely there is a movie about this somewhere, if there was then nobody would believe it happened in real life, it was so insane.

4 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Surely there is a movie about this somewhere, if there was then nobody would believe it happened in real life, it was so insane.

Yeah, Carlin implied that this story is much more well known in Europe (and I guess in Germany specifically) so I suppose there must be a German film made about it somewhere. I'd be interested in seeing it if it does indeed exist.

I have been a big fan of Hardcore History for years.  I am just glad other people are picking it up.  I am on his latest

Also, Joey, he has done "Blitz" episodes before, they are his more compact history podcasts, usually just kind of examining an idea.

I really like the Fall of the Roman Republic and how much it is analogous to our own political/cultural situation.

5 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, Carlin implied that this story is much more well known in Europe (and I guess in Germany specifically) so I suppose there must be a German film made about it somewhere. I'd be interested in seeing it if it does indeed exist.

There is and it stars none other than a very young Christoph Waltz! Sadly I haven't been able to get hold of a copy and suspect it will be in german - possibly without english subtitles.

A friend of mine moved to Munster and the first thing I asked him about were the gibbets/cages :)

2 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I have been a big fan of Hardcore History for years.  I am just glad other people are picking it up. 

I really like the Fall of the Roman Republic and how much it is analogous to our own political/cultural situation.

I'm also pleased so many people are aware of it - it suggests it's quite popular and that Dan does well out of it.

I really liked how real the players in Fall of the republic were and how dangerous political and legal power games can be. Dan definitely made it feel like a half century of dominoes falling into what would inevitably become the empire. Sulla leapt out as a fascinating character in the sense he seemed like a ruthless and petty dictator yet at the same time he retired when he'd cleaned house which seems unimaginable for that type of character.

I think Dan has a real gift for dealing out history in a way that seems filmable. HBO should definitely consider an anthology called "Dan Carlin's Hardcore history" with a dramatised season covering various versions of his podcasts

7 minutes ago, red snow said:

There is and it stars none other than a very young Christoph Waltz! Sadly I haven't been able to get hold of a copy and suspect it will be in german - possibly without english subtitles.

I think Dan has a real gift for dealing out history in a way that seems filmable. HBO should definitely consider an anthology called "Dan Carlin's Hardcore history" with a dramatised season covering various versions of his podcasts

I would love to see a subtitled version of that. I wonder who Waltz played. Hopefully one of the two Anabaptists who had the "walkie-talkie to God".

The WWI stuff in particular would make for a great show, methinks. He's already done all the heavy lifting, it would just be a matter of getting compelling video to set his narrative over.

Archived