Hardcore History Podcast with Dan Carlin

Manhole Eunuchsbane

21 hours ago, Happy Ent said:

“Western” might be a misnomer here. I have a Western education as well, and my intuition is actually that the discrepancy is way larger than must a factor 2. I would have guessed 5—in fact, I would have accepted an order of magnitude in difference.

But I can see that statistics don’t support that. Twice as many is a good estimate.

To be honest it's probably "education" that's the real misnomer.

I should instead have written "cinema". ;)

4 hours ago, solokin said:

a largely inaccurate podcast filtered through the prism of western imperialist ideology.

And yet two of his most popular series are about how badass the Mongols and Russians were. :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, solokin said:

indeed. exalting the so-called warrior classes as they pillage and conquer in the name of petty profit. a western ideal of what is strength, what makes one "badass".

The Russian one isn't about them conquering anything.  The Mongol one decries them as being horrible monsters.  But hey keep talking about stuff you have no idea about, makes you sound smart!

13 minutes ago, solokin said:

indeed. exalting the so-called warrior classes as they pillage and conquer in the name of petty profit. a western ideal of what is strength, what makes one "badass".

Huh? This ideal is more like a global phenomenon, and it predates western civilization by far, but whatever floats your boat...

i have listened to enough of this podcast to understand that the slant, what journalists might call the angle, of the presentation of these histories is one informed by western societal mores, and not by the mores of the societies from which they originate. 

4 hours ago, solokin said:

I'm not sure that is true at all. In fact King of Kings is pretty fair at looking at the Persians in a balanced manner, not viewing them through a western prism. 

15 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I would love to see a subtitled version of that. I wonder who Waltz played. Hopefully one of the two Anabaptists who had the "walkie-talkie to God".

He certainly did he was van leyden. I think that was the one Dan kept saying would be played by Brad Pitt.

10 hours ago, solokin said:

Funny you say that given that it's even more of a Putin idea of strength than a "western" one. ;)

5 hours ago, Davrum said:

Funny you say that given that it's even more of a Putin idea of strength than a "western" one. ;)

putin does not represent the russian ideal any more than trump represents the american ideal. 

Shameless fan drooling here, I warn you. I love Hardcore History. The first one I heard was the Prophets of Doom one. I bought the Punic Wars and the almost-10 hours of Fall of the Republic from his website. And another excellent one called Thor's Angels, about the end of the Roman Empire in the west and the transition of Christianity from marginalized religion to status quo. I recently bought the entire Wrath of the Khans as well. 

He has a new one out about nuclear weapons, too. 

I've been tempted to draw some comics about parts of his podcasts that jump out at me, like when he transmutes archaic proclamations into more modern speech- "It's someone else's turn now, Mr. Spartan!" And I would love to see a partially dramatized live action series, similar to one on Netflix right now about Emperor Commodus. 

2 minutes ago, Liver and Onions said:

Shameless fan drooling here, I warn you. I love Hardcore History. The first one I heard was the Prophets of Doom one. I bought the Punic Wars and the almost-10 hours of Fall of the Republic from his website. And another excellent one called Thor's Angels, about the end of the Roman Empire in the west and the transition of Christianity from marginalized religion to status quo. I recently bought the entire Wrath of the Khans as well. 

He has a new one out about nuclear weapons, too. 

I've been tempted to draw some comics about parts of his podcasts that jump out at me, like when he transmutes archaic proclamations into more modern speech- "It's someone else's turn now, Mr. Spartan!" And I would love to see a partially dramatized live action series, similar to one on Netflix right now about Emperor Commodus. 

I'm right there with you. This guy is incredibly entertaining. I went and bought the Punic Wars and The Ghosts of Ostland for about 15 bucks. I'm about a 3rd of the way into Ghosts and it is amazing. I think the one I posted above with the pic of the Marvel Movie Thor is the Thor's Angels one you described. His whole comparing the German Barbarian tribes to Outlaw Biker Gangs thing is funny as hell.

The latest blitz edition is simultaneously entertaining and terrifying in the sense he suggests we only avoided nuclear armageddon because the leaders in charge were ultimately not too reckless when push came to shove (apparently Stalin never really had enough of them to use in a terrifying way). Then we have to consider who has them now and part of me hopes Trump and Putin really are best friends and that China somehow has leadership that can handle Trump.

He did draw some interesting parallels between Trump and JFK - although I think it's clear Kennedy wasn't just the playboy image he gave off.

Archived