US Politics: Now with Alt Facts

davos

I just want to go back to a comment I made in the last thread, about seeing pictures of Trump's limo passing by nearly empty reviewing stands. Someone asked, how do you know it wasn't pictures from after the Inauguration.

I've just seen a picture again, and the limos are surrounded by Secret Service and the street is lined with Secret Service, so no, that's definitely a picture going to the Inauguration.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

We're the United States of the Democratic Republic of America, thank you very much! And we're friggin yooge! The best Democratic Republic!

Definitely the People's Republic - perhaps, United States of the Unrechtsstaat Republic of People or USURP.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just want to go back to a comment I made in the last thread, about seeing pictures of Trump's limo passing by nearly empty reviewing stands. Someone asked, how do you know it wasn't pictures from after the Inauguration.

I've just seen a picture again, and the limos are surrounded by Secret Service and the street is lined with Secret Service, so no, that's definitely a picture going to the Inauguration.

It's also very clearly his car. There was only one limo in the parade, and the rest were Sec Service SUVs - like 40 of them. 

Not that this is that special, mind you - the parade is kind of boring and there aren't a ton of people there typically anyway - but it's clearly bad looking for him. 

Not sure if anyone has seen this but federal agencies are bein told by the White House thy are no longer allowed to publicly communicate any studies or findings without WH approval. They're going to control the message at all levels of government. That's scary.

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Not sure if anyone has seen this but federal agencies are bein told by the White House thy are no longer allowed to publicly communicate any studies or findings without WH approval. They're going to control the message at all levels of government. That's scary.

Hopefully some of them will have the spine to break protocol when necessary.  Can't see a lot of public support for a president chastising a government agency for releasing true information.  

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Our previous government in Canada, the Harper government, did this as well. And we don't have term limits, he lasted for ten years, from a combination of the fact the previous government had put our fiscal house in order so he handled the financial crisis easily, and the opposition couldn't find a decent leader until Trudeau. Scientists were muzzled, important fact gathering related to climate change was eliminated, and they even screwed up the census. making the long form census voluntary. Communities across the country found out they could no longer apply for various grants or federal programmes because people did not fill out their census forms. Mainly small, conservative communities, because, you know, Big Government doesn't need to know.

1 minute ago, S John said:

Hopefully some of them will have the spine to break protocol when necessary.  Can't see a lot of public support for a president chastising a government agency for releasing true information.  

They'll fire those people, on the basis that they are government employees and are required to follow whatever rules the government puts in place.

16 minutes ago, Mexal said:

USDA was just told the same thing. Researchers can still publish academic papers, but all interviews must go through the Ministry of Propaganda Information White House first. 

2 minutes ago, S John said:

Worth getting fired over, imo.

Already many press agencies are indicating that they will protect sources and are showcasing the various ways to get information discreetly and secretly. 

It will be interesting to see if the government uses the NSA/FBI power to find out and punish whistleblowers.

1 minute ago, Mudguard said:

Maybe she's positioning herself to challenge Trump in 4 years.  Somebody needs to step up.

Exactly. That's precisely my point. It doesn't need to be all Democrats that are obstructionist - and point of fact that's probably a bad idea for them in general - but at least one needs to simply oppose Trump on basically everything so that they are ideologically pure in the future. Gillibrand is a good choice, I suppose - already mentioned as a candidate, fairly young, and this is an easy way to make a name for herself. 

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Exactly. That's precisely my point. It doesn't need to be all Democrats that are obstructionist - and point of fact that's probably a bad idea for them in general - but at least one needs to simply oppose Trump on basically everything so that they are ideologically pure in the future. Gillibrand is a good choice, I suppose - already mentioned as a candidate, fairly young, and this is an easy way to make a name for herself. 

Yeah, I saw your earlier post regarding Sanders but didn't respond.  I agree that it's a good idea for at least one Democrat to oppose Trump in case Trump fails badly, but I don't think Sanders is a good choice.  Sanders is finished as a presidential candidate.  Gillibrand might work out though.  

Archived