Unbreakable Sequel Next Up For Shyamalan

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Total spoilers just in case anyone is still reading this thread without having seen this terribly un-surprising, un-twisty film. ps, it's a rant.

Spoiler

My view on the "twist" - which happens basically as a post-credit scene - is that is doesn't change a single thing about the movie we'd all just watched. It was still stupid. The two other abductees die off-screen with zero fan-fare, after a lousy attempt at developing them as strong young women. The lead girl's big surprise was that she was also abused? You told us the entire movie that she was, for fuck's sake.

Other than a really overlong set-up for Unbreakable 3: 70 Year Old, quiet Bruce Willis vs rock-climbing multi-accented cannibal, I don't see how anyone would consider this an actual film that can support itself with any kind of resolution or statement. 

I at least laughed a bunch at the Happening. This one just pissed me the fuck off.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

Total spoilers just in case anyone is still reading this thread without having seen this terribly un-surprising, un-twisty film. ps, it's a rant.

Hide contents

My view on the "twist" - which happens basically as a post-credit scene - is that is doesn't change a single thing about the movie we'd all just watched. It was still stupid. The two other abductees die off-screen with zero fan-fare, after a lousy attempt at developing them as strong young women. The lead girl's big surprise was that she was also abused? You told us the entire movie that she was, for fuck's sake.

Other than a really overlong set-up for Unbreakable 3: 70 Year Old, quiet Bruce Willis vs rock-climbing multi-accented cannibal, I don't see how anyone would consider this an actual film that can support itself with any kind of resolution or statement. 

I at least laughed a bunch at the Happening. This one just pissed me the fuck off.

Spoiler

I completely agree with you. The 'twist' is just tacked on at the ending, to give the movie some sort of relevance. But by that point it had completely lost any amount of good faith I had given it. 

I will say that the two popular girls were quite well done, in so much that they seemed to have a handle on saying and doing all the correct actions in that scenario.. but instead they just get locked up and butchered. That was decent.

Everything else about the plot went down the toilet however. What actually annoys me is that there was a bunch of potential there. When the abused girl learnt to interact with different personalities differently and tried to twist each one, it looked like it could be a good psychological game of cat and mouse. Her past abuse, giving her access to a way of thinking that could help her in that situation could have been a very interesting concept.

But instead M.Night completely screws it up. 

He throws any level of sophistication or complexity out by just throwing in superpowers. Instead of the girl outwitting her captor, she just runs away and gets off by showing her scars. What an absolute waste. 

Spoiler

Yep, we are totally agreed. I thought the trailers were a bit silly, but I saw a bunch of really solid reviews, and trusted them. I agree that the main gal chatting with the different characters seemed like it would be an awesome mind-bender, and Shyamalan just cops out totally - because the whole thing was just a 100 minute set-up. 

ps so what the fuck was with the girls scars? They are invisible most of the time due to her mental powers? She made them disappear, or they just magically healed themselves, and in the extreme duress of her being cannibalized caused her to revert to another persona, which somehow made them visible again? That's fucking stupid. The whole movie was fucking stupid. I swear to my grandmother watching me from above, I will never watch another movie of his. 

I don't know why this film has me so riled up - the same night I watched the vaguely interesting but misfired The Accountant, and I just shrugged it off to a B- movie. 

Okay, drunk-me ranted last night, and sober me today. I feel good now. I believe I have hit the acceptance stage of my post-terrible-movie trauma. Now where's my sequel to Eastern Promises? Man, I can't wait for that to start filming. 

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:
  Hide contents

Yep, we are totally agreed. I thought the trailers were a bit silly, but I saw a bunch of really solid reviews, and trusted them. I agree that the main gal chatting with the different characters seemed like it would be an awesome mind-bender, and Shyamalan just cops out totally - because the whole thing was just a 100 minute set-up. 

ps so what the fuck was with the girls scars? They are invisible most of the time due to her mental powers? She made them disappear, or they just magically healed themselves, and in the extreme duress of her being cannibalized caused her to revert to another persona, which somehow made them visible again? That's fucking stupid. The whole movie was fucking stupid. I swear to my grandmother watching me from above, I will never watch another movie of his. 

I don't know why this film has me so riled up - the same night I watched the vaguely interesting but misfired The Accountant, and I just shrugged it off to a B- movie. 

Okay, drunk-me ranted last night, and sober me today. I feel good now. I believe I have hit the acceptance stage of my post-terrible-movie trauma. Now where's my sequel to Eastern Promises? Man, I can't wait for that to start filming. 

Spoiler

I thought her scar reveal was because she was wearing all those layers and he didn't spot them till she was left with just a tv shirt on. Either way it was up there was 'Martha' from bat vs superman for stupid reasons not to kill someone

19 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Now where's my sequel to Eastern Promises? Man, I can't wait for that to start filming. 

Is this real? :o 

Damn right it is, Veltigar. One of my all time favorite movies, that I have ever so wanted a sequel to, in which the main 2 actors both have stated their excitement to return to those two great characters. Never thought it would happen.

http://www.avclub.com/article/eastern-promises-sequel-getting-ready-film-march-248596

17 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Damn right it is, Veltigar. One of my all time favorite movies, that I have ever so wanted a sequel to, in which the main 2 actors both have stated their excitement to return to those two great characters. Never thought it would happen.

http://www.avclub.com/article/eastern-promises-sequel-getting-ready-film-march-248596

:o Oh, they are bringing Cassel back as well :drool: Such a great actor, who doesn't get nearly enough work. I'm very happy to hear this, because I too love this film. Now here is to hoping Knight gets Tom Hardy to join the party :P 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Split last week.

Remarkably good. I was not expecting much but this was really quite memorable. 

McAvoy's performance was insane.

Very much looking forward to an Unbreakable sequel, as that has always been a top 20 film for me.

Dammmmmmmmit.  Had no clue the movies were tied to each other. Now I feel like I should see Split. Count me in the group who thought the previews sucked. Total coincidence but I watched Unbreakable this weekend on HBO and liked it more than the first time. So now I feel like I should go see Split. 

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The sequel will be out in January 2019 and will be called Glass.

M.Night can now crap all over his legacy of making only 2 good movies by creating a sequel that reveals Unbreakable to in fact by a total accident of film making that was in fact terrible, we were just watching it wrong. 

A bit like if you watch Donnie Darko Directors commentary and realise that he had zero idea what he was doing, and that you reading of the movie which you assumed was great, was incorrect, and in fact the correct reading of the movie makes it awful.

Archived