Football: fixture congestion

Iskaral Pust

8 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Leicester look like they couldn't buy a goal let alone a win.

Well next game against Liverpool will be the best chance they'll get.  No-one else looks as vulnerable to a defense and midfield sitting deep and hoping to nick something on a fast counter or a set piece. 

Just looked at the EPL table and realised Burnley are quite something else.

Home record: 9-2-3, 29 points from 14 games.

Away record: 0-1-10, 1 point from 11 games.

If they just played at home all season they would be in 2nd place on the table...

Bear in mind, though, that of the 14 home games Burnley have played so far 9 were against teams currently in the bottom half of the table. Before the Chelsea game they'd played four home matches against the current top 7 teams, winning two and losing two. So a draw isn't hugely surprising, and was probably fair from the highlights I saw, but given that Arsenal and Man City came away with three points I think Conte would be slightly disappointed not to have done the same. (Everton and Liverpool are the two top 7 sides to have lost at Burnley: Man U and Tottenham have still to play there.)

13 hours ago, Notone said:

Ok, Chelsea dropped two points (surprisingly) and City is on course.

So they are just trailing by 8.

The league really needs Chelsea to drop a game, or draw two or three more, for this to be interesting again.

Maybe it is not as impossible as it seems and they are perhaps entering a bit of a rut?

United's been nicely on the rise of late. It would be good for the league if the top 6 is fighting for the title rather than second place.

I was hoping that Liverpool and Arsenal would take more points off Chelsea but that was not to be. Had they only picked up, say, one or two points instead of four, that would have reignited the title race. There are a couple of potential banana skins (away to West Ham and Stoke) before they play City so I'm not ready to call a Chelsea procession to the title yet.

They have to play us as well but our record against the top six does not make for good reading - (P6, W1, D3, L2) and four of those games were at home. We have a tough run of games coming up and I don't see us picking up many points in our remaining fixtures against the top six -- away to Arsenal, Spurs and City and home to Chelsea -- unless we can really raise our game. On the bright side, at least our top four destiny is in our own hands.

Tough break for the lad. He was on a good run and looks like he has the potential to develop into a world class player. Plus he fitted seamlessly into Pep's system and is better than Aguero at pressing the ball. Aguero is great backup though so City shouldn't be significantly disadvantaged.

5 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Tough break for the lad. He was on a good run and looks like he has the potential to develop into a world class player. Plus he fitted seamlessly into Pep's system and is better than Aguero at pressing the ball. Aguero is great backup though so City shouldn't be significantly disadvantaged.

Aguero is obviously class but it's not just the pressing that makes Jesus better at playing Pep's system. Kun's actually very good at pressing. It's more the link-up play as the central forward that Jesus was doing significantly better than Aguero. It also looks to me like Aguero has lost a yard of pace, perhaps because of his regular injuries, and is struggling to adapt his game to compensate.

6 hours ago, Consigliere said:

I was hoping that Liverpool and Arsenal would take more points off Chelsea but that was not to be. Had they only picked up, say, one or two points instead of four, that would have reignited the title race. There are a couple of potential banana skins (away to West Ham and Stoke) before they play City so I'm not ready to call a Chelsea procession to the title yet.

is this a joke?  

It was more a comment about the fact that the new stadium is generally considered to be a fucking nightmare for West Ham.  Although they have turned it around slightly recently, with 3 wins and a draw in their last 5 at - (you know what, i have no idea what the actual stadium is called).

Archived