Football: fixture congestion

Iskaral Pust

Oh I woudln't be that negative. The team's become harder and harder to beat, and Chelsea is going to diminish and slow down a bit at some point as well. It should probably be the FA cup final based on what's still in, the two best teams, but now we'll get it earlier.

And we have some transfer news and rumors towards next season.

Leverkusen's Toprak to Dortmund has been confirmed a few weeks ago, but that transfer was common knowledge from before this season started.

Dahoud will be leaving Gladbach for 10 milion € (release fee clause). His destination won't be Anfield or any other EPL team, it will also be Dortmund. Not confirmed yet, but reporting strongly points at that deal taking place.

Spanish rumours have Isco linked to City.

Schalke uses its option and buys Tottenham's Bentaleb for 19 m. €

I was going to primarily watch the Atleti vs Leverkusen game, but City vs Monaco has been so good. Magical assist from Sane for, who has been approaching some of the form he showed at Schalke in recent weeks. It was the right call on the penalty I think, Aguero was dragging his feet behind him hoping for contact.

Unfortunately B04 reverted to the team that cannot defend. Toprak and Dragovic just aren't good enough alone when Henrichs and Wendell are basically wingers. Schmidt just played into Simeone's hands by setting his team out like that.

A number of Monaco players look like they've run out of steam. Some tired looking tackles going in. The manager needs to bring on some fresh legs.

ETA. Really strong finish from City. Lots of Monaco players look exhausted now. There could be more for City and a healthy lead going into the 2nd leg.

Two classic matches tonight. It is a shame Monaco faded towards the end because it had been so closely fought until that point. Leverkusen's attack came out and made a match of it in the second half, but the defence cost them yet again. Dragovic is such a liability - to blame for Atleti's second and third (though the penalty should not have been given). Had Tah been fit then the tie might have had some life in it for the second leg, but as it was Torres' sucker punch ended that.

At least Ranieri will always have that PL-crown. Still happy for him (and the players), and well, they struggle - but I don't forsee exceptional changes in their results as a consequence here. 

ETA: I've been half-watching, half sleeping through Spurs' first half. Seems they struggle a bit in Europe still. I'd missed the red card for Alli, but seeing it now it's well deserved. 

Sacking Ranieri does seem a bit harsh but there can be no sentiment in a situation like Leicesters. Relegation would be disastrous for them and something had to change. Unfortunately for managers, it is easier getting rid of one man than a bunch of underperforming players. Changing managers has had a positive effect on the likes of Swansea and Hull and the top brass at Leicester will hope it does for them as well.

Archived