Football: fixture congestion

Iskaral Pust

26 minutes ago, Robert Baratheon's hammer said:

No one knows if Ranieri would have kept them up or if the new manager will. Therefore they should have given him the chance to try and keep them up after winning the league for a team who has never won it and may never win it again. He qualified for the second round of the champions league which they still have a chance of winning and getting through to the quarter finals. They overachieved last season and now there doing only a bit worse than expected.

The fact of the matter is the players have been bang average apart from the keeper all season. The players aren't motivated which reminds me of Chelsea last season.  

He deserved better from the players and the owners. Panic decision.

And why were the Chelsea players not motivated last season? It's because they stopped playing for Mourinho right? Once the players turn against the manager, it's game over for the manager. If the talk of dressing room unrest at Leicester are true (and I believe that they are) then the board only had one option. Harsh? Yes, but that is the nature of the game. Team in freefall, staring down the barrel of relegation with no signs of turning things around, players turned against the manager - any club in that situation would sack the manager and Leicester City are no different to anyone else.

It's simply a matter of pragmatism. A manager is more expendable than the players if there's a widespread revolt, especially at this juncture where you can fire managers but not players, especially if you're worried about floating some massive wages if you go down

The board is getting a lot of shit, we'll see if it filters down to the players.

Not the best game we've played, at least in the second half, but we win again. And we keep another clean sheet, which is nice.

Today, we were good - in the first half, at least - to move the ball out to the wing and get crosses and men into the box. That also got us our first goal. Second one was a counter, and Lukaku is extremely strong there. Also, lucky. 

Feel like a deserved win, even if Defoe had a chance there towards the end. Shame about Bradley Lowery, who has watched us three times now - twice against Sunderland - and we've won every game.

ZLATAN! ZLATAN! ZLATAN!

I'll say it again, Zlatan is the only one of our forward players who can be relied upon to consistently find the back of the net. I have to admit though that the better side lost today. Southampton have been outstanding throughout the competition and would have been deserved winners.

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

I am now sad that our (seemingly half-hearted) pursuit of Giabbaddini in the summer didn't materialize. 

Why? You weren't going to play him 4-4-2 with Lukaku were you?

I mean, with him in the team Southampton might now be better than you, as a whole, but they're not going to catch you this season anyway.

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Why? You weren't going to play him 4-4-2 with Lukaku were you?

I mean, with him in the team Southampton might now be better than you, as a whole, but they're not going to catch you this season anyway.

Would have been nice to have a back up who can score. And perhaps play him or Lukaku out wide/try 4-4-2? 

I mean, our back up options up front are Valencia (one goal), Kone (none, but he doesn't play either) and Calvert-Levin (no goals, but has been injured). 

4 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Would have been nice to have a back up who can score.

I'm always wary of teams bringing in backups who should be first teamers. Like, being backup was presumably why he left Inter so I couldn't see him being happy with playing second fiddle to Lukaku- it often seems to me to end up in long-term problems for the club as there's tension and sometimes both players get frustrated and eventually leave. Or lose confidence and are no use as a backup anyway (see: West Ham recently, Newcastle when they got Ba and Cisse together, things like that).

But it is a tough balancing act to find someone happy to play backup but good enough to make a difference, so I see the appeal.

Gabbiadini played his best football in Italy playing out wide in a front three at Sampdoria, so he and Lukaku would not necessarily have to have been together in a front 2. I was surprised that Southampton signed him to play centre forward, when it was failing to replace Milik at Napoli there that his confidence and stock dropped.

Archived