Football: fixture congestion

Iskaral Pust

Good decision by me to skip the football today.  We went snowboarding instead.  I'm not surprised our reserves plus Firmino were poor.  The whole club is in a terrible slump and the reserves have looked weak all season anyway.  Klopp was right to prioritize the Chelsea game even if it may not improve the outcome anyway.  I'm fine with using cup games up to the semifinals as practice games for younger players.  They need the experience and sometimes they won't be good enough.  Better to find out early.

Klopp needs a better plan to sustain the intense style.  We don't have lots of hamstring injuries again this season but the fatigue is still plain to see.  Intense playing style and no winter break means we need a better squad.  Any change to our best XI results in a big drop in performance, and not resting players eventually leads to a drop in performance anyway.  And we need to be smarter about game management in the early months when we have a decent lead.  Too many games were too frenetic after they should have been slowed down and seen out.  I think the players were enjoying it but should have been smarter. 

Liverpool have three matches in February and three matches in March. Plenty of time to freshen up the squad and allow Klopp to work on any issues on the training ground. Mane will be back soon as AFCON is coming towards its conclusion. Get through the Chelsea match and everything is in Liverpool's favour for the rest of the season. Liverpool have 16 games left, in contrast United could have up to 34.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Love Welbeck :)

Ox in the middle makes things interesting - not sure when he'll get another chance there, probably when we're 2-0 down against CFC next week 

Word is Coquelin and Ramsey are injured so probably Tuesday night against Watford. And if he plays anything like he did tonight, we'll probably win. That was one of his all time best Arsenal performances. Yeah, he might have done some flashier stuff in other games, but he just bossed it today. Man of the match.

Everton seems to have something of a clean-up January Loan going on. Not certain if the last two are loans, but thus far this window, we've off-loaded Cleverly (wasn't good enough), Deulofeu (enigmatic), Niasse (thank God!), Gibson (sicknote) and Oviedo (struggled with injuries). I ... can't argue with any of that.

Closest would be Oviedo, who is a sort-of okay back up to Baines. Otherwise, thanks a lot for your contribution and best of luck going forward! 

On 1/28/2017 at 4:11 PM, Spockydog said:

Word is Coquelin and Ramsey are injured so probably Tuesday night against Watford. And if he plays anything like he did tonight, we'll probably win. That was one of his all time best Arsenal performances. Yeah, he might have done some flashier stuff in other games, but he just bossed it today. Man of the match.

Looks like they're all in training now and fit for Tuesday. I expect we'll see a Coquelin/Ramsey midfield on Tuesday.

9 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Interesting FA cup round, all the big teams advanced to the next round.

Don't think 'Pool fans didn't notice that dig.

Big clear-out by Everton.  I assume new manager and new owner will be in an expansive mood in the summer.  I just hope they don't feel the lack of some back-ups before then.  But it sends a good message throughout the squad that no dead-weight will be tolerated.

If you told me two years ago that Januzaj and Deulofeu would be dumped by Utd and Everton by now I would have been shocked.

Surprising scoreline in the Arsenal game. Wouldn't bet against Arsenal going on to win though. Of late, even playing poorly, Arsenal seem to find a way.

I see that Ighalo is on his way to China.

ETA. Mignolet caught cold by Sideshow Bob. Nice free-kick.

Archived