NFL: The Politics of Superb Owls or Trumping the Fail-Cons

Manhole Eunuchsbane

40 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Um, yeah, no. When Tommy Watermelons places a MAGA cap in a prominent spot in his locker for a postgame presser, he's not sticking to football. When Belichick writes a congratulatory letter and gives Trump consent to read it at a rally, it's not an angle towards winning a football game. They opened that fucking door. 

They did open the door, but people opposed to Trump marched a veritable horde through it.

Speaking of football players who don't stick to football:

It’s not a surprise, given that he tried to get out of San Francisco last year and restructured his contract during the season, but Colin Kaepernick is expected to opt out of his deal with the 49ers and become a free agent, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on Friday.

Kaepernick has about a month before he can make the move official; Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group writes that the opt-out period is March 2-7.

I wonder if any team needs a quarterback badly enough to take him. He's only 29 years old and was pretty good a few years ago, but I don't know if it makes sense given his politics.

2 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Speaking of football players who don't stick to football:

I wonder if any team needs a quarterback badly enough to take him. He's only 29 years old and was pretty good a few years ago, but I don't know if it makes sense given his politics.

As a starter? I doubt it. If he's willing to take a significant pay cut, I suppose someone might take him as a backup.  

'We're the victims' and 'other people cheat too!' aren't entirely contradictory, but they sure do make uncomfortable bedfellows. I'd choose one or the other if I were a Pats fan. 

As Altherion mentioned, Kaeprnick is by a million miles the most hated player in the NFL. In all sports, actually. The jump in hatred he made in polls after the sitting thing is itself more than the second most hated player has in total. Ahead of rapists. Multiple murderers. Abusers. Cheaters. Rae fucking Carruth. Even Patriots*. If you want to talk about irrational agrees, I'd start there. And I'd specifically pick up on the crossroads of people who say 'sports only, no politics' while at the same time marginalizing Kaepernick's political stance because of his performance as a QB.

*wherein designation not covered in previous terms.

Think Kaepernick will likely be blackballed from the league.

I also don't think Chip Kelly got nearly enough credit for standing up for his player unconditionally. Can't think of a single other coach who would have done that aside from maybe Pete Carroll.

Not only did he back him, Kelly gave him some sort of year end award. I'll see if I can find a story on it. 

Edit: Scratch that, his teammates voted him the award. I think he gets more respect from teammates and around the league than he gets from most. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18379314/colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-voted-teammates-winner-len-eshmont-award

11 hours ago, James Arryn said:

'We're the victims' and 'other people cheat too!' aren't entirely contradictory, but they sure do make uncomfortable bedfellows. I'd choose one or the other if I were a Pats fan. 

As Altherion mentioned, Kaeprnick is by a million miles the most hated player in the NFL. In all sports, actually. The jump in hatred he made in polls after the sitting thing is itself more than the second most hated player has in total. Ahead of rapists. Multiple murderers. Abusers. Cheaters. Rae fucking Carruth. Even Patriots*. If you want to talk about irrational agrees, I'd start there. And I'd specifically pick up on the crossroads of people who say 'sports only, no politics' while at the same time marginalizing Kaepernick's political stance because of his performance as a QB.

Agreed.

and of course Pat's fans dont want politics brought up because of the obvious Trump ties. It's all part of what's happening and therefore relevant. We can all int

ernet however we want (still for now).

and all I meant was that i hate to see teams in a twitter war leading up to a game and nothing more (which i posted yesterday afternoon)

20 hours ago, Rockroi said:

More like "Decent v. Evil." The Falcons- caught cheating in 2015  - and caught cheating again this year by holding illegal practices  - have reached this lofty seat of virtue because they are, in effect, playing the Patriots in the Superbowl.  As everyone knows, once you play the Patriots, your team's QB can be a rapist OR your entire secondary could have been suspended for PEDs OR your entire Defensive line WILL be suspended for PEDs OR Terrell Owens is your WR OR you an anti-vaxxing loon catch a pass off his head - NO... YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY NOW THE GOOD GUYS!

The NFL: Where Everyone DOes Shitty Things But We All Only Hate The Patriots... and sometimes the Cowboys ... and sometimes Aaron Rodgers (DISCLAIMER: Option Available only to Aaron Rodgers' immediate family).  

I think a lot of people hate the Steelers too Rock. Not to take away from your rant, but I don't think many people see Pittsburgh as the good guys when they play the Pats. It's probably more like two evils.

To bring the focus back to the game at hand, I think the Pats win this one easily. I feel like we know the formula for beating the Patriots, pressure Brady with just four guys and minimize your own mistakes. I admit I haven't watched a lot of the Falcons this year, but I've heard nothing about them having a particularly strong D-line. I believe that they will be able to score, I just don't see how they stop Brady on defense. I just can't think of a recent postseason where the Pats lost to a team without a dominate defense (even if that defense only just rounded into form).

18 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I don't really much care for politics, but I saw this and wanted to see what your opinion was on it as a Pats fan.

I'm not too surprised. Fandom is tribal, and NFL fans are probably more conservative than most. Still, I know plenty of ostensibly liberal Pats fans. Some are uncomfortable with the association, like me. I think most have just... compartmentalized.

57 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I don't expect it'll happen in the first year, but Ty Law deserves a spot. Five Pro Bowls, twice First Team All-Pro, 53 career picks (ahead of Champ Bailey, tied with Deion), and of course the championship pedigree.

Ty Law had two black holes where his hands were supposed to be. Only explanation for why every goddamn pass Peyton Manning ever threw ended up in them.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I am going to do what some other Patriots fans are doing -- donate money based on the game. I will donate $25 for each Patriots touchdown and another $50 if they win, and another $50 if Brady wins MVP. I will split the donations between the ACLU and the International Rescue Committee. I've already been donating to them, but I will make these donations in the name of "Patriot fan committed to resisting evil."

That's really awesome, I think this is a great idea. 

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

Yeah I'd like to see Law get in too as we're from the same hometown, but he's likely at least a few years away.

I don't really much care for politics, but I saw this and wanted to see what your opinion was on it as a Pats fan.

You're from Aliquippa? Did you go to the high school there, or like Dorsett did you attend Hopewell?

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I am going to do what some other Patriots fans are doing -- donate money based on the game. I will donate $25 for each Patriots touchdown and another $50 if they win, and another $50 if Brady wins MVP. I will split the donations between the ACLU and the International Rescue Committee. I've already been donating to them, but I will make these donations in the name of "Patriot fan committed to resisting evil."

Didn't see this until Renly's post, I'm in. No Pats fan, but I'll do $25 to civil rights organizations in each state for every TD scored by their team. And also $50 for the winner.

I mean I don't get why we are even talking about politics. 

Brady was friends with Trump a decade before he ran for President. He had the hat out at the very beginning of the campaign before alot of teh crazy shit went down. And whenever asked about it said something to the effect of "he's my friends, I don't pay attention to politics, I doesn't mean I agree with everything, I don't want to talk about it". 

When Kraft was asked about it, something similar. "I'm friends with him, when my wife died he called me every week for a year to ask me how I was doing and invited me to his events, I remember that". 

Nobody ever commented on him or his policies. In fact they all went out of the way to stay out of the political spotlight. The only players on the team who made a real political statement was Bennet who said he wouldn't go to the White House if they won. 

It just comes off as wanting something to complain about. 

15 hours ago, James Arryn said:

It depends on the circumstance. Deflategate did over punish the Pats for an equipment violation based off evidence the NFL admitted to being indirect in court. It was a giant wank over the commissioners power, and someday it will bite every team in the butt. 

And yeah every team in the league has cheated and has rule violations. The Falcons pumped noise in their stadium. The Steelers had something similar to deflategate this year. Etc. 

As far as Kaep goes, if we are being honest, he's kind of irrelevant in a football context. The only reason people are talking about him at all is because he took a political stance. I happen to think it has some merit. But if you are going to talk about him, the only reason to is that. With Brady who went out of his way to say he doesn't want to talk about politics, it's a very different thing. It's not a coincidence that the Trump hat thing over a year ago is being amplified in the two weeks since his team made the Super Bowl.

26 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

You're from Aliquippa? Did you go to the high school there, or like Dorsett did you attend Hopewell?

Neither, we moved a few towns over when I was in middle school due to the school district going to shit. I always remembered hearing that people said Dorsett went to Hopewell because he'd have never seen the field at Aliquippa, but that was before my time so who knows if there's any truth to it.

4 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Yeah I'd like to see Law get in too as we're from the same hometown, but he's likely at least a few years away.

Revis too, right? I've heard of Aliquippa because of the Law-Revis connection. Cradle of cornerbacks!

3 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I think the reason Kaepernick is so hated is that he pissed off everyone who was willing to back him up on the while pledge of allegiance thing with his "Hillary adn Trump are exactly  the same" stance

Nah, it was pretty much the not standing thing. People hate that.

Also, if I've learned one thing listening to sports radio in the Seattle area, it's this - everyone apologizes for their own team, and everyone makes big things out of everyone else's teams, and chances are good that every single NFL team has some major fuckheads who are there because they're getting paid. The Pats aren't any more evil than the Falcons save in their current political allegiance, but I'd bet strongly on Ryan being a pretty big conservative Trump supporter too. Blank is good at least, but so what? Most of the coaches almost certainly aren't. 

The more you go into the moral morass of the NFL, the less good there is to find. There aren't good guys. There are just bad guys that might be on your side for a bit.

Archived