Exercise and Fitness: sticking to resolutions

Iskaral Pust

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I know this isn't a big deal for everyone here but I'm ecstatic because I haven't been fit since I was 16 (now 22) and I just ran for 2.5k straight only stopping VERY briefly to cross the road a couple of times and I briskly walked/jogged another 3k on top of that - I feel great

Nice one, it really is a good feeling isn't it.

I haven't posted here in a while. I'm finding that I have no problem working out regularly at the moment, but I'm not sticking to any particular routine. For example, I was supposed to do a free weight strength session today at lunch. Got changed and found I just couldn't be arsed with waiting for a free squat rack, loading up the bar, warm-up sets etc. So I just picked up a kettlebell and did a conditioning session instead. Or last week when I had a run planned out but bailed at the last mintued and did a skipping circuit instead. On the one hand, at least I'm doing some work rather than dropping sessions completely. But without the consistency I'm not really making any regular improvements.

I think that part of the problem is that I don't really know what my goals are at the moment, and it's difficult to work towards something that you have yet to define.

I've been the same way, Liff. Sometimes I don't decide what I want to do until I get into the gym. I figure something is better than nothing! It was actually going pretty well until my heels flared up. Now since I don't know what is causing it, I find I am hesitant to do anything. Turns out your feet are really involved in just about everything. I was doing rowing to avoid that but I started getting pain in my elbows so I cut back on that. I just get so annoyed now every time I see someone out jogging. I can't believe that at this time last year I was running 10 miles a pop with little pain and now I worry that walking from my living room to my bedroom is going to make my feet hurt. :crying:

Anyway, I'll probably go to the gym tonight. No clue what I'll do though...

29 minutes ago, Starkess said:

I've been the same way, Liff. Sometimes I don't decide what I want to do until I get into the gym. I figure something is better than nothing! It was actually going pretty well until my heels flared up. Now since I don't know what is causing it, I find I am hesitant to do anything. Turns out your feet are really involved in just about everything. I was doing rowing to avoid that but I started getting pain in my elbows so I cut back on that. I just get so annoyed now every time I see someone out jogging. I can't believe that at this time last year I was running 10 miles a pop with little pain and now I worry that walking from my living room to my bedroom is going to make my feet hurt. :crying:

Anyway, I'll probably go to the gym tonight. No clue what I'll do though...

Damn, that sucks. Injury sucks. I had foot issues for years as well. This probably won't sound very motivating, but what worked for me was backing off from the particular activities that were exacerbating the pain, but I accept that isn't really a solution if that activity is something you're particularly passionate about. Hang in there.

6 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I think that part of the problem is that I don't really know what my goals are at the moment, and it's difficult to work towards something that you have yet to define.

I have a similar problem.  I do reasonably consistent workouts but my weights have plateaued for quite a while and I don't have any particular goal to chase them higher.  This is around the level I plateaued the last time I lifted weights for a prolonged period (18-22).  I don't want to gain more weight to lift more.  I don't want the joint strain from heavier lifts.  I'm kind of ok just maintaining my current situation but that's a sure path to ennui. 

Golf and hiking on Thursday and Friday were fun, then Saturday was taken up by traveling back home.  Today was a gym session for upper body. 

I varied my sets and weights to avoid a rut.  It all went really well but too tired for cardio at the end.  Besides, three days of swimming and a day of hiking should have been decent cardio this week. 

My post-vacation weigh-in was not pretty, as expected after a week of rich food.  I'm now at 184lbs.  I want to take that back below 180lbs.  My Christmas and winter eating had already brought me up to 182lbs before the vacation. 

I've been under 80kgs for two weeks now, which is great considering I've skipped training over last 10 days.

Today I have something after work so I had to do my workout before work. It was a bit harder than it would've been if I weren't coming back from illness and injury but it was great.

Managed to run 4k yesterday morning without stopping AND, more importantly, without opening my mouth and panting. Feel like I am making progress with this.

My goal is not to do with time/speed or distance but more about being able to run continuously while being in control of my breathing.

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Managed to run 4k yesterday morning without stopping AND, more importantly, without opening my mouth and panting. Feel like I am making progress with this.

My goal is not to do with time/speed or distance but more about being able to run continuously while being in control of my breathing.

That's exactly my goal as well!!! And nice one! 

Due to some work-related stuff I couldn't go to training after work this week, so I had to do them before work. I'm starting to like it a lot, and I think I'll especially like it when the heat starts in a couple of months. Long story short, I'm thinking about completely switching to morning sessions, maybe even add one swimming session a week before work.

Took a YOD class yesterday.  It's a 20 min yoga warm-up, a 10 min slow strength training, a 15 min HIIT session, and a 15 min cool down.

I learned that my endurance has definitely dropped in the last month.... and also that my fiance is in incredible shape.

Very busy at work this week, including a long day of travel on Monday, but I got to the gym yesterday evening for a session of shoulder press, pull-ups, etc.  The nagging strain in my deltoid affected me a bit but I only lost a rep on my heaviest sets.  And I ran an easy mile afterward again.

I hope to do another workout before the weekend but no guarantees.

After the last two very intensive trainings at the club (tuesday and thursday) every little muscle in my body aches like Hell and I have no idea how I'm going to run a half marathon on Sunday. Problem is, most participants are preparing for the bigger Warsaw Half Marathon that takes place three weeks later and therefore the intensity of trainings is much bigger than it should be in the last week before the race. Of course I told the trainer that for me the main race is on Sunday and I was assigned to the group of the relatively lowest intensity, but nevertheless it was much more demanding than anything I'd be able to force myself to do on my own. Not from the distance point of view, and not overall pace either. It was the intensity of short segments we were doing, like five cycles of 300 meters of uphill run with the pace of 10k PB, jogging downhill, then 200 meters of uphill run with the pace 20 seconds faster than 10k PB, jogging downhill and then 100 meters of uphill run as fast as you can (in my case it was a pace of about 2:50-3:20), then walking downhill. And yesterday the training was four blocks containing 500 meters flat segments of running with the pace 20 seconds faster than 5k PB (about 4:30 for me), divided by 2k of easy jog trot each. When you see it written down it doesn't look particularly difficult, but it is. And so I have no idea if I should stick to my original plan of breaking 1:55:00 on Sunday, or perhaps I should take it a little bit easier, worrying that trying to achieve what is not achievable in my current condition would mean crushing in the second part of the race and blowing the plan completely.

42 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

still very much at beginners level when it comes to jogging and alternating with walking; but it seems to be getting easier and i've already lost around 6 pounds in 3 weeks - yay - trying to do it slowly and surely...

Nice work!  Just remember that the scale is FAR more indicative of diet changes than workout changes.  Keep up the great work!

I think I'm going to take a hot nooner class today, cut work and get my sweat on early.

3 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Nice work!  Just remember that the scale is FAR more indicative of diet changes than workout changes.  Keep up the great work!

I think I'm going to take a hot nooner class today, cut work and get my sweat on early.

Oh yeah I'm focusing on diet and exercise :D been jogging /walking 3 days a week and every day I go for a good walk with my dog anyway 

Just now, Theda Baratheon said:

Oh yeah I'm focusing on diet and exercise :D been jogging /walking 3 days a week and every day I go for a good walk with my dog anyway 

Sounds like you're making great progress!

3 hours ago, baxus said:

I hate lunges. Especially weighted lunges.

That is all.

:lol:

need a strong front rack for this one. 

Really excited for the workout tonight - dumbbell lunges, toes to bar or muscle ups, dumbbell power cleans.  after how poorly I did last week a focus for me will be to keep my heartrate down and not try to kill this thing in the first minute.

@3CityApache It sounds like wrong time for you to start hill training, even if it is a great addition to your training going forward.

Last night was a lower body session for me: squats, leg curls, dead lifts and calf press.  Plus I did five minutes of tough cycling simulating steep hill climbs at the end.  It went great and I boosted my weight on squats.  I'm really glad I was able to fit it in but I'm pretty tired now after getting to sleep very late after a late workout.  Tonight will be a rest night, and possibly a date with the foam roller.

Archived