Exercise and Fitness: sticking to resolutions

Iskaral Pust

In the past couple of weeks, our crossfit workouts have focused on endurance with mostly 20+ minutes workouts. I have managed to maintain a more or less the same pace throughout and, even though I haven't managed to complete the workout under the time cap once or twice, I've been near the top of my group every time.

This year I thought about trying it out just for laughs. It's not as if I expected to qualify for the regionals or anything, just wanted to check it out. It was so above my level I saw no point in even trying. Next year, though, might be realistic. Once again, not to achieve some great result and advance to regionals or anything, but just to compete.

This morning I talked to the coach about next year's Crossfit Open and he told me that he plans to make a big deal of it next year. To organize workouts so that quite a few people can take a shot at it, have an "Open day" on Saturdays, have people try it out, throw some parties after workouts and just use it to promote crossfit in general. It should be fun. Now all I need to do is train regularly over the next 12 months. :D 

@Simon Steele

Bench press is overrated, anyway. ;) And it is always crowded at the gym, so it's no big loss.

Great job on your weight loss, rehab and overall improvements. :thumbsup:

@Iskaral Pust

You forgot swimming on your non-impact cardio list. ;) 

Took three different types of classes over the weekend.  Took a Friday 90 minute hot flow class, a Saturday 90 minute modo class, and on Sunday took a 60 minute hot flow class.  Legs are pretty sore today, so will be taking a rest day.

10 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Feel kind of guilty because I haven't jogged in like a week and a half...but I have been walking a LOT so that's something...I've walked about 65 miles in 2 weeks which I thiiink is decent? Either way I've been pretty active 

Yeah, that's great! About 50 miles every two weeks (25 miles-ish a week) is the recommended amount, right? So you're well exceeding that. I'll be honest Theda, all these years (I'm 37 now) of trying to get rid of extra weight, weight lifting, cardio, pain, etc., walking I think is the underlying necessity of good health. I watch this muscle-head on Youtube, and he likes to philosophical more than he gets into "DO IT!!!" stuff, and he always says that committing to something you can do every day for the rest of your life should trump everything else. Walking every day is what he recommends. He (and my brother) are where I came up with my three-mile walk every morning. I love it because I listen to audio books too.

Anyway, I think even when you stop cardio for awhile, the walking keeps you primed to jump back in. Just my two cents. This is just observational from my own life. 

Here is the muscle head, some people hate him, lol. But I love his videos. I think he's hilarious. "Get this thing called an...ipod. I have this app called 'audible.' It's amazing." 

28 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Yeah, that's great! About 50 miles every two weeks (25 miles-ish a week) is the recommended amount, right? So you're well exceeding that. I'll be honest Theda, all these years (I'm 37 now) of trying to get rid of extra weight, weight lifting, cardio, pain, etc., walking I think is the underlying necessity of good health. I watch this muscle-head on Youtube, and he likes to philosophical more than he gets into "DO IT!!!" stuff, and he always says that committing to something you can do every day for the rest of your life should trump everything else. Walking every day is what he recommends. He (and my brother) are where I came up with my three-mile walk every morning. I love it because I listen to audio books too.

Anyway, I think even when you stop cardio for awhile, the walking keeps you primed to jump back in. Just my two cents. This is just observational from my own life. 

Here is the muscle head, some people hate him, lol. But I love his videos. I think he's hilarious. "Get this thing called an...ipod. I have this app called 'audible.' It's amazing." 

Yeah I love walking and I only work part time so I have a lot of days off which can easily drive me mad and for so long I was lying around eating loads and watching TV and feeling low but these days I'm feeling much better - I've always loved walking and I would always walk at least...one mile a day?? For my dog but these days I take him for a mile or two and then walk back home because he's old and then I go for another 4-7 mile walk in the day later on I've eaten kind of terrible lately because of various birthday takeaways all happening at once but I've still continued to either maintain or lose weight lmao it's brilliant 

I've been so tired and stressed these past three weeks as I juggle two jobs (I have a new role, but still doing the old one too until a succession plan is confirmed) that I've been eating junk food every night.  The rest of my diet is good but the late night cookies/ice-cream/cake have become a hard habit to shake.  My willpower is so low after a stressful day. 

25 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I've been so tired and stressed these past three weeks as I juggle two jobs (I have a new role, but still doing the old one too until a succession plan is confirmed) that I've been eating junk food every night.  The rest of my diet is good but the late night cookies/ice-cream/cake have become a hard habit to shake.  My willpower is so low after a stressful day. 

Yeah, I have a pizza in the fridge and bought peanut butter M&Ms. I've been so good on my diet. Urgh.

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Great to hear about your new role, not so great to hear it's messing with your schedule. Hopefully, it will blow over soon.

I've quit my current job and have until end of March to work here. I do have some remaining vacation days though, so I'll be off work until the end of the month. My workout schedule just got blown wide open :D 

I'll probably add running to my schedule, once or twice a week. I have some 5-6 weeks to prepare for a half marathon. :D 

@baxus That sounds like a great way to recharge.  I've never managed to take a break between jobs.  My former employer always pressured me to stay until the last possible minute.

I do have a week off at the end of March as we visit my in-laws for spring break.  I'll do some work from there but hopefully rest a bit and recharge.

I woke this morning at 5am and could not get back to sleep.  Just stress.  A bit after 6am I gave up, got up, ate a banana and went to the gym.  Shoulder press, pull-ups, etc.  The early workout and no fuel in my system cost a rep on each of my heaviest sets but overall a pretty good workout. 

There was an obnoxious guy in the gym this morning: he and his personal trainer were taking up a huge amount of space, he was dropping/slamming his weights down and making explosive grunts, he was playing music loudly from his iPhone (no headphones) and he didn't put weights back on the rack or wipe down equipment.  That's a pretty strong quartet of assholish behavior.  I felt like telling him that if he's going to act like such a fucking gym douche he should at least lift some respectable weight.  I almost sniggered at him dead-lifting only 100lbs* with the big grunts and dramatically dropping the weight at the end. 

*This guy looked to be in his early forties, ~6'3 and ~220lbs and was talking about his crossfit class the whole time.

17 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

@baxus That sounds like a great way to recharge.  I've never managed to take a break between jobs.  My former employer always pressured me to stay until the last possible minute.

I do have a week off at the end of March as we visit my in-laws for spring break.  I'll do some work from there but hopefully rest a bit and recharge.

I woke this morning at 5am and could not get back to sleep.  Just stress.  A bit after 6am I gave up, got up, ate a banana and went to the gym.  Shoulder press, pull-ups, etc.  The early workout and no fuel in my system cost a rep on each of my heaviest sets but overall a pretty good workout. 

There was an obnoxious guy in the gym this morning: he and his personal trainer were taking up a huge amount of space, he was dropping/slamming his weights down and making explosive grunts, he was playing music loudly from his iPhone (no headphones) and he didn't put weights back on the rack or wipe down equipment.  That's a pretty strong quartet of assholish behavior.  I felt like telling him that if he's going to act like such a fucking gym douche he should at least lift some respectable weight.  I almost sniggered at him dead-lifting only 100lbs* with the big grunts and dramatically dropping the weight at the end. 

*This guy looked to be in his early forties, ~6'3 and ~220lbs and was talking about his crossfit class the whole time.

Without derailing the thread, I'll just say it's the Eurocommie in me who doesn't give up vacation days easily. ;) Other thing is, the work's been slow over the past few months. There  have been days I'd come to work and have nothing to do and that's the main reason I'm quitting in the first place.

As for the douche in your gym, we've all seen his kind. Funny thing is, I'm yet to see someone do it in crossfit box I go to. Coaches would rip him a new one.

One nice thing about running again is that I can sprint for a train if I have to (and catch it) without breaking a sweat or huffing and puffing. :)

I'm still only going out once a week and not even got past 4k yet but it's going the way I want it to.

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 0:35 PM, Isis said:

One nice thing about running again is that I can sprint for a train if I have to (and catch it) without breaking a sweat or huffing and puffing. :)

I'm still only going out once a week and not even got past 4k yet but it's going the way I want it to.

I'm mostly just walking these days but can already feel how much fitter I am. Have lost about 7 pounds in a month which is not huge amount and I dont look any different but I definitely can feel it. Helped my dad move the old sofa out of the house today to transport it to my uncles place and my dad told me I was stronger than my mum and uncle combined lmao; walked 12 miles today

On 14.03.2017 at 9:39 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Feel kind of guilty because I haven't jogged in like a week and a half...but I have been walking a LOT so that's something...I've walked about 65 miles in 2 weeks which I thiiink is decent? Either way I've been pretty active 

I have the same feeling when I can't run enough outsides during the cold seasons! :mellow: But I usually instead of that make an active fitness complex or practise with this stuff http://stylemann.com/best-nordictrack-elliptical-review/ , I have the one in my house and for me it was a good idea instead of gym which I can't visit regurarly because of my work schedule ;) I'm waiting for warmer days for continuing my running trainings :rolleyes:
And today I made my usual yoga complex and also the fitness one in addition for more active workout (which I usually repeat every two days) ^_^

6 hours ago, Targarien21 said:

I have the same feeling when I can't run enough outsides during the cold seasons! :mellow: But I usually instead of that make an active fitness complex or practise with this stuff http://stylemann.com/best-nordictrack-elliptical-review/ , I have the one in my house and for me it was a good idea instead of gym which I can't visit regurarly because of my work schedule ;) I'm waiting for warmer days for continuing my running trainings :rolleyes:
And today I made my usual yoga complex and also the fitness one in addition for more active workout (which I usually repeat every two days) ^_^

I would love to have something like that in my house lol but my place is way, way too tiny - wouldn't be able to fit it anywhere 

Yesterday I did 50-40-30-20-10 reps of KB (24kgs) swings, double unders (did double the amount of single unders instead), deadlifts (40kgs) and ab mats. It was supposed to be a partner WOD with planks and stuff like that while your partner is doing his/her part of the workout, but there was an odd number of us I was the one left alone so I did all the reps without planks and all that. It felt good to finish it almost 4 minutes under the time cap.

8 hours ago, Targarien21 said:

I had an elliptical (nowhere near as good as these three, mind you) at home and it was fun for a while, but within 6 months or so I grew board and went back to rowing. Working out with people is kind of a big deal to me, I guess. At that point, I didn't know what to do with it, so I used it as a rather bulky clothing rack. :) Eventually, I gave it to my brother-in-law, whose father needed it for a rehab after getting seriously injured.

On 14/03/2017 at 7:45 PM, Simon Steele said:

Elliot Hulse went off the deep end a few years ago. The guy is nuts.

Frustrated.  I'm taking a break from the gym this weekend.  I have a painful strain in the outside left of my middle (vertically speaking) back, where the bottom of my left lat connects with my lowest ribs.  I don't know if it's the lat muscle, or connectors between the two lowest ribs, or the connection between lat and oblique. 

It has been sore for three days now and is sensitive to any movement in the lat, like rotation at the hip or extending the back (e.g. bending forward).  I don't want to do anything that requires heavy flexing of the lat in case I make it worse, which rules out almost every heavy weight lift I do. Even rowing and cycling are out because both require bending forward.  Same for squats and dead lifts.  Running might be ok but does involve rotation at the hip.

The silver lining is that I have been getting repetitive stress strains around my elbows and shoulders from heavy weights and I was thinking of taking a break at some point to let them recover a bit. 

On ‎03‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, Greywolf2375 said:

deadlifts, wallballs, rowing and hand stand push ups on the menu for today.  Last year I got 11 HSPU before the time cap, this year I am hoping to get into the 30s

sigh.  I got the same score as I did last year - killed my split times, but getting to the HSPU I just couldn't hit the standard.  Not going to redo it - my hamstrings are still pianoable.

Archived