Exercise and Fitness: sticking to resolutions

Iskaral Pust

Just a month left to my first ever mountain race. 28 km with a 1440 meters altitude change. I need to buy trail shoes. And some more hills training wouldn't hurt probably.

Yesterday was a fine run. 6.25k in less than 30 minutes, which means 5k just 11 seconds slower than my pb.

Wednesday evening was shoulder press, pull-ups, etc -- good workout, really strong considering my patchy exercise these past two months. 

This evening I went back and did some rowing.  2x2km in 8:18 and 8:23, with only a very short break between.  Longer distance and shorter rest cost some speed but it felt good. 

Every time after rope climbs my arms hurt for a couple of days. I strain something in my triceps or something.

In other "news" :D , I went to the pool yesterday after at least a year without swimming at all. Did 1k and it felt great, other than small aches in my triceps from rope climbs. Will definitely try to make swimming a weekly thing.

Yesterday was a great session of bench press, pull downs, cable row, etc. 

No time for the gym today due to mothers' day commitments, but perhaps I can squeeze in 30 minutes at home of leg exercises like Bulgarian half squats and lunges before we go to dinner. 

Next week will have every evening busy with work stuff, unfortunately. 

This morning we had 30 minutes of 5 pull ups, 10 pushups and 15 air squats, with 200m run after every three sets of that.

I maintained a pretty steady rhythm throughout, but pushups were a nightmare.

5 hours ago, baxus said:

This morning we had 30 minutes of 5 pull ups, 10 pushups and 15 air squats, with 200m run after every three sets of that.

I maintained a pretty steady rhythm throughout, but pushups were a nightmare.

When you do air squats, do you extend up to normal height or do you spring up into a slight jump?

I was lucky yesterday to find a window of time to get to the gym before going out for the evening with clients.  Shoulder press & pull-ups went really well, but I had to forget the rest as time ran out.  

I'm so glad I could do that but I'm still feeling terrible from a lot of restaurant food this week with all of the client events.   At least I haven't returned to dessert for stress-eating; I'm doing better on that score these last couple of weeks. 

I've had a better run these past few days. 

Saturday: bench press, pull-downs, cable row, etc.  Strong session. 

Sunday: no time for the gym for legs day so substituted lots of sets of body weight squats/jumps as I manned the outdoor grill on our rooftop. 

Monday: after work I got back to the gym for shoulder press, pull-ups, etc. 

Tuesday: evening session of rowing at a gentle pace, 2 x 2km in 8:30 and 8:35. 

Now I'm traveling Wednesday and Thursday but I brought along swim gear to hopefully get some time in the hotel pool either tonight or tomorrow morning. 

One of the things I love about crossfit is that very often we're working on improving our joints mobility which helps me a lot. It's hard work and I hated it at first, but once I started seeing improvements, I never complained again.

Excited to do Murph on Memorial Day:

1 Mile Run

100 Pull-ups

200 Push-ups

300 Air Squats

(divided any way you want, most choose to do 20 sets of 5-10-15)

1 Mile Run

I will scale the Pull-ups (resistance band assisted) and Push-ups (20 inch incline). The pushups will still be a nightmare, even with the easier form.

The sheer volume of Murph is insane. I agree with you that push-ups will be a nightmare, they always are in that number, no matter how you split them.

A couple of weeks ago we did 30 minutes AMRAP of 3 sets of a basic Cindy set (5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 air squats - a set of what you said most people break Murph, minus the runs of course, into) followed by 200m run and it was really hard, even with the rest 200m provides. I managed to do 4 full rounds of that and made it to 3rd round push-ups of Cindy set (a total of 75 pull-ups, 145-150 push-ups and 210 air squats, plus 4 200m runs) when the buzzer went off. Felt completely drained, but some 5-10 minutes after that I felt great!

Wednesday evening was the light swim.  I made sure not to incur my usual left shoulder strain.  It felt good. 

This evening was bench press, pull downs, etc.  New PBs on my heavy sets.  And I had time to run a gentle mile at the end.  Feeing good, now grilling some salmon and beef kebabs for dinner. 

Just twelve days to my first ever Mountain Race (28 km with a total altitude change of 1250 m). Been training to that and checking my new trail shoes on Sunday evening, just afer sundown. Managed to make 15 km with 15 runs up of the nearby hill (about 40 m high), which should give me about 600 m overall altitude change. I was completely drained afterwards. And in less than two weeks I will have to make twice as much in bright daylight (the race starts at 2pm). Today at 2pm was about 32°C. I'd be dead after few k if such a weaher persists. :) I'd much prefer rains and storms.

On the other hand the day before I almost broke my pb for 5k. I was just 8 seconds short, which means I made it in 23:43, which I think is decent in current weather conditions.

On 5/27/2017 at 6:58 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Wednesday evening was the light swim.  I made sure not to incur my usual left shoulder strain.  It felt good. 

This evening was bench press, pull downs, etc.  New PBs on my heavy sets.  And I had time to run a gentle mile at the end.  Feeing good, now grilling some salmon and beef kebabs for dinner. 

Congrats on the PB Isk!  I know those are hard to come by.

I've gotten to 6 straight days of classes and am working on 'floating' into a crow arm balance.  Takes a ton of core and balance to pull off, but when you do it feel like magic as you lightly land your knees on your triceps.  I have to remind myself that I have to be further forward than I expect, otherwise I end up using a foot to balance and push myself up into the pose; but have to be careful not to go too far forward, otherwise I end up face-planting in front of the entire class.

With some trepidation, Sunday was my first session of legs in several weeks.  Sure enough, squats at 250lbs felt too heavy and I didn't get full depth at that weight, but 220lbs and 200lbs were just fine.  Deadlifts (250lbs), leg curl (220lbs) and calf press (400lbs) all went fine at the same level I had lifted before this break.  And I cycled a couple of miles afterward to cool down.

Sunday night I also went to the range and hit a bucket of golf balls.  I have a client golf event next week and needed some practice.

Yesterday and today, I have paid for my long break with stiffness throughout my legs and lower back.  Hopefully back to the gym tomorrow before I travel for a couple of days.

I trekked the Andes last week. I thought I was fit but...ahaha it kicked my butt! At the highest point we were at 4650 meters of altitude, and I definitely struggled through some altitude sickness. I was astonished at how easily some of the other people were scaling the hills when I seemed to get winded every twenty seconds! But I survived and it was a great trip, and more active than a lot of my vacations are (my boyfriend and I are very food-centric).

Now back home, need to find motivation to keep hitting the gym. I like to walk but I am feeling very limited in the ways I can walk from my apartment. I guess I could drive somewhere else to walk, but I try to minimize my driving so that doesn't really appeal. I'm still a little heavier than I'd like right now and it's beginning to be very demoralizing that I cannot lose these couple pounds that I gained over the past few months, even though I am doing the things I normally do to lose weight. Oh well. 

Archived