Exercise and Fitness: sticking to resolutions

Iskaral Pust

New shift pattern is causing havoc with my training, i work 2 x 0700-1500, 2 x 1400-2300, 2 x 2200-0700 and then have 4 days off.  i can train after the early shift, and before the late shift, but i'm a zombie when i do nights, and feel like crap for a couple of days after them.  i suppose i just need to force myself to get up and go out but my energy levels are terrible at the minute, and at 41 its not like i'm going to get used to it again. 

I went to a gymnastics class for the first time in about 4 years yesterday and now everything hurts and I'm dying.

I was however pleasantly surprised how much I was still able to do. I've kept in shape over the years butdone no real training, so it was pleasant to learn I could still do much of what I could do before. It just hurts more the next day :P 

Lost A LOT of strength over the last couple of months.  Doesn't help that I have some extra pounds to deal with on every move, but damn did I feel weak.  I think that's where my focus is going to be over the next month.  Not weight loss specifically, but increasing strength while shedding the fat.  Today is day 2, then my next to last softball game of the season.

Today was one of the very few workouts I couldn't have completed within time cap. It was wall balls, kettlebell swings, burpees, atomic sit-ups and overhead lunges, 60 each (per leg on lunges) in 27 minutes or under. Due to the heat, my couple of weeks off training and my current general fitness levels I didn't even come close to making it within time cap - managed to make it to lunges, even if only one per leg. :lol: 

Felt completely drained for a few minutes after those 27 minutes were up, though I did get back to relatively normal state quite soon.

I just wish this blasted heatwave would end already. Having spent 2 weeks in around 20ºC weather, moving to 35+ºC within a matter of hours was not and is still not a pleasant experience, I must say. :lol: 

On 8/9/2017 at 9:57 AM, aceluby said:

I LOVE barre.  It's weird that it hurt your feet though, it's supposed to be low impact.

Yep, but I've been struggling with a nebulous foot injury since last year. It gets aggravated by being barefoot, so nowadays pretty much the only time I'm not wearing supportive slippers or shoes is in the shower. I thought I'd be okay with just the hour long class, but sadly, nope.

11 hours ago, Starkess said:

Yep, but I've been struggling with a nebulous foot injury since last year. It gets aggravated by being barefoot, so nowadays pretty much the only time I'm not wearing supportive slippers or shoes is in the shower. I thought I'd be okay with just the hour long class, but sadly, nope.

Maybe try one of these?

http://www.zappos.com/p/new-balance-wf118-black/product/8654661/color/3?ef_id=WYtvlwAAApSxvaQ2%3A20170811140921%3As

I took a class yesterday and felt absolutely destroyed.  Played softball after and didn't get home til 11 and fell asleep about midnight.  Slept terribly and 6am rolled around far too quickly.  I'm supposed to take a 'master class' tonight, but I'm totally drained; so we'll see. 

Saturday was bench press, cable rows, etc.  Great workout.  I kept a high tempo from set to set, and had enough time to do some extra sets and inject some variety.  Sunday was squats, dead lifts, etc.  Another good workout, although later in the evening than I would have liked.

I hope I can exercise again Tuesday evening before two long days of travel on Wednesday and Thursday.

Took the master class on Friday and I was so lightheaded that I stayed in child's pose for what seemed like the majority of the class.  It was so hot and humid that it was stifling.  I did not enjoy it.  Took a break on Saturday to do some demolition on the house, finished it yesterday and went to a class in the afternoon.  Felt much better for that class.  Tonight is our championship game for softball, then back to barre tomorrow.  Already feeling much better.

Did my first competition several weeks ago and came out pleasantly surprised.  my partner had foot surgery in January and I've had various ligament/tendon strains this year.  Our goal was to not finish last and we ended up finishing 4th out of 25 teams, 2 points out of a podium spot.  Unfortunately we also found out that we finished literally two reps out of that podium spot - so if in 2 of the three wods we did we completed one more rep in each we would have been in 3rd place.

really lit the competitive fire again.  Not sure if I will do another one this year, but I have signed up for Wodapalooza in the old guys division so maybe I can get a trip to Miami in January out of it!

• 3 weeks later...

You mean any shoes? Or any walk? That does seem troubling. What the doctors say?

I'm at the moment after the first week of four weeks training program for the fast 5k race. On September 24th I hope to break my 5k PB before I start to prepare for the half-marathon I am going to close this season with in October or November. The first week was tough and not entirely satysfying, as I wasn't able to acomplish all the goals. On one of the first trainings we had a one mile run as a kind of test. I've made it in 6:35 (4:06 pace), which was ok. But on the next training we were supposed to run 10k with the pace from  one mile test plus 45 seconds. And I failed miserably. I was supposed to make it in the pace of about 4:50 per km, and instead I barely managed to go under 5:20. Not so sure anymore if I'm going to break this PB after all.

Congratulations Kraken on incredible progress.  Sorry about your foot pain though.  Is that plantar fasciitis?

I'm really feeling the effects of months of too much work & stress and too little sleep.  My exercise routine has dropped to just 1-2 per week in the last three weeks, when I like to average 2-3 per week or ideally 3-4 per week.  This week will see me recover to three workouts but I need to get my work and stress back under control. 

Thankfully I'm still maintaining a good diet and not stress eating.  My weight is stable at 180lbs.  My strength in the gym is still good although prolonged insomnia eventually steals a rep or two from my heaviest sets. 

@Let's Get Kraken

Great job on the weight loss! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your problems with your feet, though. I can't say I've had any experience with similar stuff so I can't offer any advice. Hope you solve it soon.

@3CityApache

Don't be too hard on yourself. It seems you had a bad workout and things like that happen. You still have plenty of time to overcome one bad session.

Thanks for your support @baxus, but I feel the problem is deeper than just one bad workout. I have always preferred short distances over long ones and improving on longer distances have always been much harder for me. The best example is that the objectives for the workout I failed at (10 km at a pace of a mile test plus 45 seconds) were difficult but doable for most people in my group, both faster and slower than me at a mile test. I was probably the only one in my group for whom the same objectives meant breaking a PB for 10 km. It shows that the pace differential between shorter and longer distance is much bigger than average for me. Even our trainer commented, that with such a result at a mile test I should have a better 10k PB.

On 9/4/2017 at 7:14 AM, 3CityApache said:

Even our trainer commented, that with such a result at a mile test I should have a better 10k PB.

Kind of sounds like a shitty trainer if that's the way he presented it to you.  It can't be that uncommon of an issue and I'm sure there are plenty of plans to address it.  If I was training someone and saw that datapoint I'd be excited at the opportunity to close that gap, not comment to my trainee on how they 'should' be performing....

Actually he presented it more like a joke, so no harm done. He changed my objectives afterwards and addressed the problem scheduling the next workouts. Can't say a bad word of him. 

Yesterday we were doing very similar workout: 8 km with a pace of a mile test plus 40 seconds. This time I wasn't able to meet the objectives as well, but the gap was much smaller, about 10-15 seconds in pace (comparing to 30 seconds before). So I might be back on the right track after all.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted. Anyway, crossfit is still a lot of fun, I'm sticking with it and feeling great, though a bit sore and aching on occasion. :D 

My schedule should clear up a bit soon, so I'm thinking of adding something else to the workout schedule. Nothing major, just something I could do once a week, twice tops, in addition to crossfit. I know I could add another crossfit workout, but the whole point is to try something new, or at least different. I was thinking about joining a colleague of mine at his Brazilian jiu-jitsu workouts but I'm not sure how much use I'd have from once a week. Swimming and yoga are always an option and I quite enjoy both. Most outdoor activities are not, since we'll get a full on autumn weather in a month or so and I'm done running in rain, wind, snow and sub zero temperatures, at least for some time.

If you guys have any suggestions, I'm more than willing to at least hear them out.

@baxus take a look back at the discussion we had when someone was looking for a sport to replace martial arts (he landed on fencing).  It had good suggestions.  It was in this thread or the one prior. 

My workouts are still constrained by my heavy work schedule and more family stuff on weekends.  I'm only managing 1-2 gym sessions per week still but they are at least going well.  Tomorrow I'm taking my son to his Taekwondo tournament but it might make me miss out on a trip to the gym. 

I need to get my routine back under control. 

37 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

@baxus take a look back at the discussion we had when someone was looking for a sport to replace martial arts (he landed on fencing).  It had good suggestions.  It was in this thread or the one prior.

I think that was me. Anyway, I'm still doing fencing and having a lot of fun, so consider that a recommendation. I've also started an adult gymnastics class once a week that's been an absolute blast.

Edit: that said, BJJ is awesome and if you think you might like it then give it a go. I stopped due to a combination of injury and burnout but it was so much fun whilst I was doing it.

5 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I think that was me. Anyway, I'm still doing fencing and having a lot of fun, so consider that a recommendation. I've also started an adult gymnastics class once a week that's been an absolute blast.

Edit: that said, BJJ is awesome and if you think you might like it then give it a go. I stopped due to a combination of injury and burnout but it was so much fun whilst I was doing it.

Is your adult gymnastics structured/properly coached? Or is it more of a gym hire with coaches supervising to ensure no-one is injured? Just curious, as I found lots of examples of the latter when I was looking for the former.

Archived