Exercise and Fitness: sticking to resolutions

Iskaral Pust

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Is your adult gymnastics structured/properly coached? Or is it more of a gym hire with coaches supervising to ensure no-one is injured? Just curious, as I found lots of examples of the latter when I was looking for the former.

It's a proper, competitive gymnastics club with their own dedicated facilities. They mainly trains kids/teens for competition but offer two casual adult classes a week as well. The class structure is kind of split. Half is directly run by the coaches to learn certain baseline skills, and then half is a bit more freeform with individuals scattering to work on the particular things they want to achieve, with coach guidance and oversight.

4 hours ago, Liffguard said:

It's a proper, competitive gymnastics club with their own dedicated facilities. They mainly trains kids/teens for competition but offer two casual adult classes a week as well. The class structure is kind of split. Half is directly run by the coaches to learn certain baseline skills, and then half is a bit more freeform with individuals scattering to work on the particular things they want to achieve, with coach guidance and oversight.

Sounds like you found a good class then, that's good! I have always loved gymnastics and I always surprise myself how quickly I seem to tone up when I return to it (and how quickly my old skills come back to me too.

The 'class' I currently attend is more of a "you pay to use the equipment, we'll stand and watch" type thing for the most part. Bit disappointing, but it keeps me happy fitnand gets me out of the house. 

@baxus were you looking for anything in particular to add to the workout schedule? As in, cardio, strength or? What the hell, I'll second a recommendation for gymnastics since you get a bit of everything there. Unfortunately I usually overdo things as I never realise how much it takes out of me until the next day when I can barely move :P 

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

@baxus were you looking for anything in particular to add to the workout schedule? As in, cardio, strength or? What the hell, I'll second a recommendation for gymnastics since you get a bit of everything there. Unfortunately I usually overdo things as I never realise how much it takes out of me until the next day when I can barely move :P 

If we're honest, I could do with some improvement in cardio and in strength and in "or". ;) I don't really have a plan - whatever I get to improve, I'll be happy. Basically, I'd like to be a bit more active in any possible way and have fun doing it. I'm not even sure I'd like to do the same thing every week, trying out new things sounds like a lot of fun.

For example, one of the things I'll definitely do more this fall/winter is ice skating since my company is moving to the new offices next week and we'll be right next to the skating rink so I'll try to go skating after work at least once a week or once a fortnight. There's a group of guys there that I used to play ice hockey with so I might see if they're still active and rejoin them.

I'll also try to go swimming a bit more regularly since I enjoy that, too.

Ok, so my four weeks training program finally worked out. I broke my 5k PB by 1.5 minutes today. Final result: 22:07. Of course on the finnish line I was mildly disappointed I haven't managed to break 22 minutes, since I was short by just 7 seconds, but overall I'm really satisfied. Regular workouts with professional trainers really do pay off after all. I'm starting to seriously consider running a marathon next spring and I'm already excited about it, even though longer distances were always much harder for me to prepare to.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

Ok, so my four weeks training program finally worked out. I broke my 5k PB by 1.5 minutes today. Final result: 22:07. Of course on the finnish line I was mildly disappointed I haven't managed to break 22 minutes, since I was short by just 7 seconds, but overall I'm really satisfied. Regular workouts with professional trainers really do pay off after all. I'm starting to seriously consider running a marathon next spring and I'm already excited about it, even though longer distances were always much harder for me to prepare to.

You'll probably need to decide by November or December so you can get a good 12 or 16 week training program in place. I would say at a 22 minute 5k you should be okay with a 12 week program if needed. 

Had a good summer of running and triathlons. I did a couple of sprint Tri's and finished in the top 10 for my age group. I did a team triathlon where I swam and biked then passed off to my parter for a run and we ended up winning. Highlight of the season was winning the local Ironman 70.3 team relay. We did it with a three person team, I covered the running section and we ended up winning the team category by 4 or 5 minutes. Got a chance to run with the elite triathletes and was able to hang with them because they were on their third leg and I was fresh on my run :) 

Last weekend I participated in a Ragnar event. If you are runner I would highly recommend checking these races out. 200 mile relay with a 12 person team. Finished in about 32 hours with a mixed team of fast and slow runners. Really fun event, kind of like a rolling circus. 

Planning to focusing on hiking and road bike this fall and winter. Will get the indoor trainer set up again in the basement and Zwift for the rest of the winter on the bike. 8 more peaks to go to complete my New Hampshire 4000 footer list. 

Yeah, same. I do not cope well. Things that do help:

- Keep going to my normal activities, to maintain my social life if nothing else.

- Set a physical goal that I'm still able to do with the injury. Like, if it's a lower body injury then set myself a pull-up target to hit by the time I've recovered.

- Find some sort of non-physical activity to engage my brain in the meantime. Maybe find a short course to sign up for?

13 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Tore my hamstring today so feeling pretty bummed out. How does everyone cope mentally with injuries?

Sorry to hear that. :( 

I don't know if it would work for you, but I'd have to treat recovery as my workout goal. I mean, treat it as you would treat setting a new PR at something - set a list of what needs to be done and when and then follow that schedule as you would a workout schedule.

It would definitely help if you could do some other physical activity, no matter how light. I imagine that hamstring is a tough one, since it would probably rule out or at least limit your walking, hiking etc.

20 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Tore my hamstring today so feeling pretty bummed out. How does everyone cope mentally with injuries?

Shit, sorry to hear that Luke.  I hate injuries and have a tendency to return too early.  

In the great tradition of do as I say, not as I do: form a routine around the injury treatment, e.g. massaging, icing, heating, stretching (when ready); convince yourself it's good to have a rest break enforced on you every so often; try doing something different while recovering, even if you hate bench pressing; give it the time it actually needs not the limit of your (im)patience; don't slide into a routine of sloth that will be hard to reverse. 

Best of luck

Sorry to hear that Luke, injuries are rubbish. 

I'd agree with Isk though, you can set goals and definitely stick to what you should be doing but don't try and rush it. I've never torn a hamstring but from guys I know who have it's particularly susceptible to re injuring if you don't let it fully recover.

On ‎09‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:24 AM, baxus said:

Sorry to hear that. :( 

I don't know if it would work for you, but I'd have to treat recovery as my workout goal. I mean, treat it as you would treat setting a new PR at something - set a list of what needs to be done and when and then follow that schedule as you would a workout schedule.

It would definitely help if you could do some other physical activity, no matter how light. I imagine that hamstring is a tough one, since it would probably rule out or at least limit your walking, hiking etc.

Agreed with this - instead of taking the look of "when can I get back to working", take your recovery as the working - obviously within the confines of what a hammy injury means.  Sorry to hear it's a tear luke, take the recovery work as hard as you take your training work and you'll come back just fine!

Doing Wodapalooza online challenge to see where I stack up...apparently I'm on the lower side of the stack.  Definitely ok with that, still learning the process of pacing myself in workouts, my general strength is fine for my age but I need to work on endurance and sticking to a plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was my first midweek workout in a couple of months I think.  Work has been so busy that I've been restricted to weekend exercise.  This has led to some imbalance: my bench press, which is part of my usual Saturday routine, is still at PB levels, but last night my shoulder press and pull-ups both lost a rep or two on my heaviest sets after a hiatus of two months or more.  Same thing with my squats when I finally got back to those on the weekend before last.

Overall, I'm still feeling pretty fit and strong but I want to get back to 3-4 workouts per week and stay balanced.

Archived