Exercise and Fitness: sticking to resolutions

Iskaral Pust

On 9/27/2017 at 10:45 AM, lessthanluke said:

Just because I am aware of it doesn't need I don't need it drummed into my head hah!

Yeah, sorry to hear about the injury. But yeah, take it slow man. One of my buddies tore his ACL and MCL and was back in the gym 3-4 months later squatting (he used to do the body shows, sorry not sure what they're called). Surprising no one, he retore the ACL a month later and it's going to affect him for the rest of his life.

Need a little help. I've had a super stiff neck for like a month now, and it's really affecting my work. I've obviously done my own interwebs searches, but I'm curious if any of you have dealt with this before and found something that worked, because these generic stretches and icing it ain't cutting it. 

Also, has anyone ever had to deal with muscle imbalances, because I think that's the root cause (one calf is a lot stronger than the other and I'm starting to notice that it's affecting my whole body)?

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Need a little help. I've had a super stiff neck for like a month now, and it's really affecting my work. I've obviously done my own interwebs searches, but I'm curious if any of you have dealt with this before and found something that worked, because these generic stretches and icing it ain't cutting it. 

Also, has anyone ever had to deal with muscle imbalances, because I think that's the root cause (one calf is a lot stronger than the other and I'm starting to notice that it's affecting my whole body)?

You been to a physio or chiropractor?

That would be my first port of call.

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

After doing what Luke suggested, I'd recommend a massage.

I don't know what your workout regimen is, but maybe add a bit more stretching to it, or yoga or something?

EDIT:

Or try some more relaxing ways of working out. If I had a similar problem, I'd probably go for swimming at slower pace. It always worked out for me when I felt too tense.

Ran my 4th (and final) half marathon for the year today. Came home in a time of 1:39:25 (4:42mins/km), just inside my target time of 1:40. That means I've knocked about 20mins off from my first half in April to now. :D

Don't post here much (mostly lurk and get motivation from reading about you guys) but I'm pretty happy with that result and thought I'd share. Thinking about tackling the full 42.2 next year, but going to give myself a bit of a break and reduce the weekly kms over summer (in Aus).

I got to exercise both days of this weekend and switched up my usual pattern for some variety: I did squats, dead lifts, etc on Saturday and moved bench press, etc to Sunday.  Saturday usually gets peak strength while Sunday suffers slightly from fatigue and stiffness after a big session  

The legs session on Saturday went amazing.  I made some big progress from the prior session (after a gap of months before that).  Despite some stiff legs and core today, my bench press, pull downs, etc all went really well and I maintained PB levels. 

I really want another midweek session this week to build some momentum. 

Thanks guys! It was mentally the hardest run I've ever done. I wasn't familiar with the course and 7-14km were largely up a very gentle slope. So gentle I didn't realise I was running uphill. Almost gave up and walked at 10km I got so discouraged with the precious seconds I was losing. Wasn't until the course looped back on itself at 14km and I started running back down to the finish that I figured out what was going on, and then had to summon the energy to lift and make up the time I'd lost. Have never felt so utterly destroyed after a race.

@3CityApache you'll get there! If I recall your 5km time isn't too dissimilar to mine (currently 22:13, though I haven't raced a 5km in a month or so). I'd be shocked if you couldn't easily run a PB now.

My 5k PB is 22:07, but I simply can't wrap my head around the possibillity of 1:40:00 HM any time soon. That would mean keeping the pace faster than my 10k PB for more than twice that long. If I ever get there, it will not be in the next few months, that's for sure.

Just now, 3CityApache said:

My 5k PB is 22:07, but I simply can't wrap my head around the possibillity of 1:40:00 HM any time soon. That would mean keeping the pace faster than my 10k PB for ore than twice that long. If I ever get there, it will not be in the next few months, that's for sure.

It all depends on your training, really.

I've done a 1:38:40-50 HM in 2011 after only 3 months of training* for it, beating my previous personal best by 12-13 minutes. I wasn't starting from scratch obviously, but neither are you.

It's a cliche, but whether you think you can do it or not, you're probably right. ;) Long distance running is almost 100% mental (i definitely count finding/keeping motivation to train as mental).

* It needs to be said that being under 30 at the time has helped. :lol: 

So because I can't help myself and with the help of very aggressive modern healing methods I ended up competing the weekend just gone and dead lifted 365kg for a competition PB. About 10% down on what I had originally planned for but I am happy enough as it is still a welsh record and came through unscathed. Hamstring tightened up a bit but it seems fine. 8 weeks of training before Worlds in America now!

I am able to imagine beating 20 minutes for 5k. I am also able to imagine beating 45 minutes for 10k. Both cases are obviously achievable for me, perhaps quite soon. But 1:40 HM somehow escapes my imagination. That has to have something to do with my struggling with longer distances, unproportional to my PB's on shorter ones. But we will see.

7 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

So because I can't help myself and with the help of very aggressive modern healing methods I ended up competing the weekend just gone and dead lifted 365kg for a competition PB. About 10% down on what I had originally planned for but I am happy enough as it is still a welsh record and came through unscathed. Hamstring tightened up a bit but it seems fine. 8 weeks of training before Worlds in America now!

That's impressive Luke.  A bit risky with only eight weeks to Worlds, but I'm glad it went well and you didn't detach your hamstring.

17 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

@Impmk2 Wow, that's hell of a progress, man, respect. 20 minutes within a few months is really impressive. That means you've started with a similar time to mine (I've finished my March HM in 1:57:58), and I still hope to break 1:55. Great job!

This is right around where I was before my injury, and yeah, down to 1:40 seems like a big jump!

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

So a general question I guess for anybody who might have had this issue. It's a little embarrassing to post about, but uh... has anybody had issues with severe nipple-chafing from prolonged jogging? And,uh, what do y'all do about it? I'm asking for a friend whose become sick of hearing me ask about this.

This is actually pretty common! Few options to help are vaseline, medical tape over the nipples and I believe you can even buy guards for your nipples (more experienced runners will have to confirm)

Archived