Exercise and Fitness: sticking to resolutions

Iskaral Pust

48 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

So a general question I guess for anybody who might have had this issue. It's a little embarrassing to post about, but uh... has anybody had issues with severe nipple-chafing from prolonged jogging? And,uh, what do y'all do about it? I'm asking for a friend whose become sick of hearing me ask about this.

Yep, common problem no one talks about. I've had badly bleeding nipples after a couple hour jog before. It was pretty embarrassing (blood soaked through my shirt) and painful.

Now I shave my chest (less hair less friction) and put a strip of strapping tape over each nipple before I go for long runs. Same type of tape you'd buy to strap a muscle strain or support a joint.

Oh and the other advantage to not having chest hair , you don't rip it off when you rip off the tape.

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

So some folks in here made some really nice and supportive comments about my weight loss a month or so ago, and I was too busy pissing about a foot issue I had and I never said anything. But thank you @Iskaral Pust @Leap and @baxus for the comments, honestly, I really did and do appreciate the support :)

So a general question I guess for anybody who might have had this issue. It's a little embarrassing to post about, but uh... has anybody had issues with severe nipple-chafing from prolonged jogging? And,uh, what do y'all do about it? I'm asking for a friend whose become sick of hearing me ask about this.

Don't mention it. That's what this thread is for - sharing experiences and motivating each other. Just keep up the good work. :thumbsup: 

I haven't had much problems with nipple chafing myself, but my nipples have been irritated on occasion from chafing during longer runs.

My advice (apart from what Luke already mentioned) is to avoid wearing new shirts for longer runs. Use shirts that you have already worn and washed at least a few times. Definitely avoid wearing anything that has stitches across your chest. I know that "what t-shirt or long sleeved shirt has stitches across the chest" is popping up in your mind right now and you're right, but there are some jackets that may have pockets etc. For example, I've had a vest that's commonly used when rowing and it had kind of "V" shaped stitching across the chest. It worked great for rowing, but I've quickly learned to find something else to wear when running.

EDIT:
You could probably find more advice on the matter on some websites dedicated to running.

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

So some folks in here made some really nice and supportive comments about my weight loss a month or so ago, and I was too busy pissing about a foot issue I had and I never said anything. But thank you @Iskaral Pust @Leap and @baxus for the comments, honestly, I really did and do appreciate the support :)

I have never had this issue, but it doesn't seem to be rare. What do you wear when you run? I'm rather slim, which probably helps, and always wear rather tight shirts made of technical fabrics. 

Yeah, cotton is not an option on longer runs. It gets wet and heavy and it will wreak havoc on your nipples if you are already prone to chafing.

In general, you should wear as little as possible for longer runs. Mind you, that doesn't mean you should go out in shorts and t-shirt when it's snowing outside. ;) The rule of thumb I used was to wear so many clothes that I'm a bit cold at first (for the first 5 minutes or so) and then I get comfortable when I start heating up from running.

For the last three weeks I've been able to exercise three times per week, finally improving after my slump when work was taking up all my time.   Only downside is that there was also a lot of Halloween candy in the past three weeks. 

One change I made was to move my bench press session to Sunday in order to have legs and dead lifts on Saturday -- my peak for energy and strength in the weekly cycle.  I lose a rep on my heaviest bench press but that's a small price considering it's the only exercise where I didn't lose ground this summer. 

Deadlifts last weekend were back to 290lbs after two weeks at 250lbs and months of nothing before that. 

The return to more workouts caused some tendinitis in my elbow/forearm for a few days but I think I'm past it now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to improve my PB fo 10k yesterday in the Independence Race in Warsaw, even if only by a mere 3 seconds. Current time is 48:43. I'm more than satisfied since I haven't planned attacking PB this time.

It also happened to be the biggest 10k race in Poland, after more than 13 thousand runners (out of almost 18 thousnad who signed up) made it to the finnish line. And it looked really awesome

Seems like it was a great race! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Speaking of running, my hometown (Belgrade) already has a marathon/half-marathon/fun run combo that takes place mid-April, but the organizers have decided to have one more, a half-marathon/quarter-marathon combo. As you can imagine, I have registered for it despite not having run more than 1.5km since half-marathon I ran in April. Remember the one after which I said I'm done with distance running for a while? :lol:

It should be fun, I already have some friends I'll be running with. Now the only thing left to do is to actually do some distance running before the race so I don't feel completely drained after the race.

One more thing, did I mention that the race is in three weeks? :lol: 

• 1 month later...

I'm not following the Worlds Strongest Man competitions and I know pretty much nothing about your or other competitors' results so I can't comment on whether your top ten goal was realistic or not, but 20th in the world still sounds great to me. Congrats and I hope next time you meet your goal! :thumbsup: 

I've went to the swimming pool yesterday for the first time in about 6 months. It's been fun and I'll try to make it a weekly thing. There are few things like swimming before work to make me feel as refreshed throughout the day.

Nice going Luke. 

I had several weeks of limited exercise due to travel, work and the common cold.  But back to a good routine these past couple of weeks, regaining the small amount of lost ground, including very sore legs most of this week after a heavy legs day on Saturday. 

Cutting back on desserts allowed me to drop from 183lbs to 177lbs in just three weeks.  Going lean is easy but sugar addiction is tough for that first week. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 9:51 AM, Iskaral Pust said:

Nice going Luke. 

I had several weeks of limited exercise due to travel, work and the common cold.  But back to a good routine these past couple of weeks, regaining the small amount of lost ground, including very sore legs most of this week after a heavy legs day on Saturday. 

Cutting back on desserts allowed me to drop from 183lbs to 177lbs in just three weeks.  Going lean is easy but sugar addiction is tough for that first week. 

Damn dude... you must be getting lean.  If I remember correctly, you're about the same height as I am (6'-6'1") and I can't imagine getting down that low.

So I've been on a health kick since Halloween when I weighed myself at 215lbs.  I'm now down to 204 while at the same time gaining muscle in my shoulders and chest.  Clothes that used to fit fine are now pretty tight around the shoulders.  My goal is to get under 200 by the end of the month, and get down to 190 by summer.  Totally doable on the schedule I'm on right now.

Tonight it's barre followed by power yoga taught by my wife :)

57 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Damn dude... you must be getting lean.  If I remember correctly, you're about the same height as I am (6'-6'1") and I can't imagine getting down that low.

So I've been on a health kick since Halloween when I weighed myself at 215lbs.  I'm now down to 204 while at the same time gaining muscle in my shoulders and chest.  Clothes that used to fit fine are now pretty tight around the shoulders.  My goal is to get under 200 by the end of the month, and get down to 190 by summer.  Totally doable on the schedule I'm on right now.

Tonight it's barre followed by power yoga taught by my wife :)

Yeah, I’m pretty lean at this weight (although holiday eating brought me back to 180lbs today, but I’m about to return to my less indulgent eating style).  I went from defined to carved.  I’m not trying to go all the way to shredded.  There’s a fine line between good fitness and manorexia.  I’m carrying pretty good muscle mass* and feeling pretty healthy — I like where I’m at; and I know that any bodybuilder or power lifter would be disgusted by my complacency. 

*I’ve had the same problem for the last couple of years with clothes being very tight in my chest and shoulders.

Good to hear that you’re doing so well.  It’s incredible how much weight you’ve lost in the last couple of years, and maintained consistency in your regime.  Keep it going. 

I’m aching today after a heavy day yesterday of bench press, etc.  I especially have some soreness in my obliques after returning to cable hip twists after a long layoff.  I’ll have a rest day today.  Squats and deadlifts have been going great in the past couple of weeks.  And I had a monster session of pull-ups and shoulder press last Friday.

On 23/12/2017 at 1:38 AM, lessthanluke said:

Came 20th in Worlds Strongest Man Under 105kg last week in North Carolina. Goal going in was top 10 so pretty disappointed but I am sure in a few weeks when I reflect I will cheer up a bit,

What's even better news is that Luke once over head pressed me. He was drunk at the time too!!!

I've been cruising through some functional high intensity training, called F45. Had my first session back in to the new year last night, haven't done dead lifts in around two weeks and the ol back has a decent ache going on this morning.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Triskele said:

I remain mystified about how much weight can fluctuate overnight.  That it can fluctuate throughout the day, even by several pounds, doesn't shock me.  But I weighed myself before bed last night and then again when I woke up and was nine pounds lighter then next morning.  I think that's the largest discrepancy I've ever logged for myself, but I don't even understand how it's possible.  Who among ye can explain it?

Imprecision of the scale and water loss during sleep (from sweating/breathing).

14 hours ago, Triskele said:

I remain mystified about how much weight can fluctuate overnight.  That it can fluctuate throughout the day, even by several pounds, doesn't shock me.  But I weighed myself before bed last night and then again when I woke up and was nine pounds lighter then next morning.  I think that's the largest discrepancy I've ever logged for myself, but I don't even understand how it's possible.  Who among ye can explain it?

Losing 4kg overnight does not sound right to me.

I mean, it would be ok if you weighed yourself in the evening after a big meal, fully clothed, wearing boots and a jacket and in the morning you weighed yourself in underwear only after doing the business in the toilet, before you had your breakfast or even had a glass of water etc.

Since I'm guessing that wasn't the case, it's a bit much.

15 hours ago, Triskele said:

Nice work, Luke!

How heavy are you? I can wake up close to 10lbs light SOMETIMES depending on hydration levels, how warm it is blah blah. If you are sub 200lbs though I would suggest your scales are broken.

Archived