Iskaral Pust

Exercise and Fitness: sticking to resolutions

300 posts in this topic

Great 40 min run today. Started off, as many runs do, with grim dedication and a tinge of misery. It's fucking cold today, to the point that it was snowing. Anyway, it went really well - particularly the opening 3km, which are almost exclusively uphill. 5:08 pace, 7.8km done. Significant improvement over my previous 40min runs.

I have three goals in mind for my HM. From most likely to least likely:

• Sub 2:00:00. Definitely think this is achievable. Unless I feel truly terrible on the day and/or injure myself, this will hopefully be in the bag.
  • Sub 1:55:00. This could go either way. I'm feeling fairly confident at the moment, but I've a lot of distance yet to add. 
  • Sub 1:50:00. Best case scenario. Probably going to miss out on this. Positive side is that it's a flat course, so it is plausible if I have as good a run as I have done today.

Since this is my first official HM I'll be happy as long as I finish really, but this is what I'm aiming for even so.

Last night was shoulder press, pull-ups, etc.  Really glad to fit in that workout because my work travel today through Friday has no opportunity for exercise. 

My legs were really stiff yesterday after my lower body session so I spent ~30 minutes of pain with the foam roller last night and they're less stiff today as I have to sit on a long flight.  

@Leap Quite a wide spread of possible scenarios, man. I'm also running my first official half marathon in less than a month, and if nothing unexpected happens, I'm pretty sure I can achieve my goal of breaking 1:55:00. But at the same time, based on my three training HM runs and few sub HM's (like 17-18k), I'm almost positive I won't be able to break 1:50:00. If I cut a minute or two off of the 1:55:00 result I'd be happy. But of course I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to achieve your best case scenario.

Today I was doing hills, and it went really good. I was able to make the last two or three (out of 23) uphill repetitions in the pace of 3:30-3:40, despite the weather, which was brutal (about -7°C and strong wind). On Saturday I'm planning the last long run before the race, I haven't decided yet if I'm going to make a HM distance or a little less. Hope the weather improves though, today I was pretty frozen after 11k in general.

Edited by 3CityApache

17 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

@Leap Quite a wide spread of possible scenarios, man. I'm also running my first official half marathon in less than a month, and if nothing unexpected happens, I'm pretty sure I can achieve my goal of breaking 1:55:00. But at the same time, based on my three training HM runs and few sub HM's (like 17-18k), I'm almost positive I won't be able to break 1:50:00. If I cut a minute or two off of the 1:55:00 result I'd be happy. But of course I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to achieve your best case scenario.

Yeah, I thought if I planned for all possibilities I couldn't be disappointed :D 

1:50:00 is highly optimistic speculation on my part, I should imagine with your training you're much more likely to hit that than me. (So good luck!) As well as some long 17-18km runs, I have a training HM planned for mid-March (3 weeks prior to the main event), so hopefully that will give me something to build on. 

Helps that I'm currently at a pretty low weight (73.6 this afternoon)

35 minutes ago, Leap said:

Helps that I'm currently at a pretty low weight (73.6 this afternoon)

Hah, I was 73.6 Tuesday evening (last time I weighed myself), seriously. :rolleyes: But that means I gained few kilos of late, most of the autumn last year I was about 71-72. Seems running stops to be enough to keep the weight at bay, I need to address my diet as well, I'm afraid. I'll probably have to cut the sweets and snacks.

Something came up for today after work that I couldn't reschedule so I went to crossfit before work today. It was fun, and I'm not tired right now, but getting up early was a bitch.

@Leap

The main advice I give to first time HM runners is to no let the euphoria and the crowd make you run faster than you plan to at the beginning of the race. When you start the race, you're fresh and enthusiastic, everyone around you is the same, crowd is cheering you on etc. It's easy to forget the race plan and get carried away. If that happens, you will most likely struggle to maintain your race plan in the last half/third/quarter of the race and drop the whole advantage you've gained by running faster in the beginning and then some.

It seems like a very good advice. My limited experience from shorter races tells me the same exact thing. The worst race I ever run was when I started stronger than I planned, and didn't consider weather, that was warmer than previously forcasted. It was a complete disaster.

It's the most common mistake I've seen (and made, of course) in my HM runner's "career".

Once you see the agony people endure over the last 5km (or more) after making that mistake (or worse, endure it yourself) it really drives the point home. The only way to avoid such agony is if you've severely underestimated your fitness level when you made a plan for the race.

And so I made 19k today, but it wasn't a good run, unfortunately. The weather was perfect, light frost, the sun was shining and... I struggled from the very beginning. No idea why. The average pace was 5:37, so I shouldn't be so sure I'm going to achieve my goal of 1:55:00 on March 5th after all. :( In fact with such a pace I would be very far from my goal.

I will definitely bear that in mind, thank you folks. I haven't run an official race since I first started running really - a 10km about two years ago, and I was not at all as competitive then as I am now. 

Speaking of heading out too fast, I was in real danger of doing that today. I missed the parkrun this morning due to bad weather and need of a lie in. Headed out this afternoon, and let's say I was maybe a little spurred on by seeing a friend (who I'm doing the HM with) hit a surprisingly good 5k time earlier today (unfairly good given I seem to train so much more :P ). Scores on the doors:

• 4:40
  • 5:13 (incl. 40m of elevation)
  • 4:53
  • 4:33
  • 4:36

Pretty pleased as I just nipped under 24 minutes, at 23:54. I've a collection of ''PBs'' according to my Garmin, and although I'm confident that I ran slightly faster last Autumn, it's close enough now to not bother about, given the likely margin of error of winging it. Probably should have taken it a bit easier though as I have a long run tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

And so I made 19k today, but it wasn't a good run, unfortunately. The weather was perfect, light frost, the sun was shining and... I struggled from the very beginning. No idea why. The average pace was 5:37, so I shouldn't be so sure I'm going to achieve my goal of 1:55:00 on March 5th after all. :( In fact with such a pace I would be very far from my goal.

Ah, you know how it is. Sometimes a run goes terribly in great weather and amazingly when it's pissing it down. I'm sure the day of will be different!

I did my first 'run' (more like a jog to be fair) this morning with my Garmin so now I'm no longer guessing how far I'm going. I did 3.6km in 20 minutes without stopping at all. I'm fine with that since I literally only went out today to warm up my muscles. Which brings me to my burning question: has anyone else suffered with Piriformis Syndrome?

I've had pain and reduced mobility in that area since October. The doctor says is isn't sciatica and I've had x-rays on my hips and lower back to rule out anything serious. From the two locations of the pain it looks to me as if it is indeed piriformis syndrome. I have been referred for physio and my first appointment is in a couple of weeks. In the meantime I am trying to stretch it every night. However, it is making my life a misery. It has severely impacted on the physical exercise I have been able to do since October and that in turn affects my general well-being and my quality of sleep. Recently I was unable to do anything for two weeks due to a pulled muscle in my neck/scapula followed by a cold. When I returned to Bikram yoga after that two week break my piriformis was agony to the point where even sitting down the wrong way on a stool in my lab made me scream and have to stand up immediately.

I am trying to manage it by doing an appropriate level of exercise and stretching (and taking ibuprofen, which does help but only while I take it) but it is just so bloody sore at the moment, it even hurts when I turn over in bed at night. Has anyone else gotten through this and is there anything else you think I should be doing to help myself? I am beginning to despair of it ever getting better. :(

Can't say I've ever had it but here's an NHS video on exercises for piriformis syndrome if you haven't already seen it. I'm sure the physio will give some more specific advice when you see them.

Yeah, I the first one is what I do every night. I try to make a point of doing them after hot yoga while I am still in the studio and everything is nice and warm.

I'm just feeling a bit crushed by it at the moment as it doesn't feel like it's getting any better at all. I had a really good yoga session around xmas time and felt like my range of motion (and ability to use those muscles) had improved... then the next week it was back to being as bad as it ever was and that's how it has been ever since. I guess I just want someone to tell me it will get better one day. I have lived with chronic lower back issues since I was in my late 20's and could still exercise ok with them, but this is a whole 'nother level of pain and discomfort to deal with.

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Which brings me to my burning question: has anyone else suffered with Piriformis Syndrome?

I've never had the piriformis specifically diagnosed as the cause, but I do get problems with soreness, tightness and shooting nerve pain originating from the glute and lower back, especially after long periods of forced sitting like when I'm traveling. 

I do a lot of stretches to loosen those muscles, and use foam rollers.  I also try to fix any anterior pelvic tilt.  I also use a variable desk now so I don't have to sit as much when not traveling. 

What a shit day for a run! Stepped in an icy puddle before I even began, first 4km were almost all uphill through sludge and snow. Ended up with a km less than last week despite running for the same time. Still, I did hit a <57:00 10k, so even though my overall pace is disappointing, that helps put it in perspective for me a little bit.

Also used music for the first time in years today, which was actually quite nice while I could hear it. Also helped it pass much more quickly.

Saturday was an upper body session of bench press, pull downs, etc.  Good workout and I maintained my bench PB for the third consecutive session.  Some stiff triceps today though. 

Today was a lower body session of squats, dead lifts, leg curl and calf press.  I paid special attention to my hip angle in squats and dead lifts to make sure I wasn't tilting my hips backward slightly. 

Tomorrow I have a massage and my post-workout soreness will be painfully abused. 

Yeees. Killed it today. 40 minutes, 8.1km. New 5k PB 23:32 officially equals any of the runs I did last year, along with a slew of other PBs. Fastest mile (7:01), Fastest two mile (14:49) and Fastest 1k (4:06) (note, I've not tried to run these distances independently, will probably do so after my HM). 

Long run this Sunday (15/16 km) so will probably take it a bit easier on the next two runs in anticipation of that. Aim for the 5:10 region rather than 4:55. 

Had my wisdom teeth pulled last week and am still recovering.  Only got two workouts in during the last two weeks and I think it's impacting my mood.  Just wish I would heal up so I could work out :(

Heels are hurting worse again today. I really can't pinpoint what is triggering the damn things. Standing for long periods of time seems to do it, as well as doing too much walking around my home barefoot, but there isn't really a clear trend and I don't know which workouts are good or not. Frustrating. I may have to bite the bullet and go in to see a podiatrist. I'm just worried I'm going to spend a lot of money for them to tell me "Well, keep stretching it and resting and hope it gets better!" which basically seems to be most of the treatment short of surgery.

2 hours ago, Starkess said:

Heels are hurting worse again today. I really can't pinpoint what is triggering the damn things. Standing for long periods of time seems to do it, as well as doing too much walking around my home barefoot, but there isn't really a clear trend and I don't know which workouts are good or not. Frustrating. I may have to bite the bullet and go in to see a podiatrist. I'm just worried I'm going to spend a lot of money for them to tell me "Well, keep stretching it and resting and hope it gets better!" which basically seems to be most of the treatment short of surgery.

I have low arches and I get foot pain if I go barefoot for any length of time on our hardwood floors at home, but not on good carpet.  I need to wear house-shoes with real support and structure.  I get lightweight deck shoes from Crocs that work well.  Regular slippers don't provide enough support.  But when I wear the right foot support I get no pain.

Also, have you ever had your stride evaluated?  Some people strike their heel too hard or at the wrong angle (pronated), or don't flex enough as they transfer weight from heel to ball. 

You can easily do your own research on plantar fasciitis -- it's relatively common --  but I thought more supportive shoes, correcting stride problems and using insoles or orthotics were common pre-surgery fixes, in addition to stretching the Achilles' tendon. 

It sounds like a really painful condition.  Best of luck with it.