U.S. Politics: It's Torture

drawkcabi

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

And I think, its nonsense to even remotely suggest that the Republicans didn't go out and promote a bunch of basically  dishonest bull about the ACA.

I really hope that is not what you are attempting to suggest here.

I don't know what information you're talking about, or why you think that could be the topic.  I was commenting specifically on the story about the conversations they are having now.

a 120 day freeze on refugees and a 90 day freeze on entry from jihadi controlled areas to review policies is perfectly reasonable

my only issue with the EO is if it is being applied to green card holders; they've already been vetted and it would seem to be extremely disruptive

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444370/donald-trump-refugee-executive-order-no-muslim-ban-separating-fact-hysteria

First, the order temporarily halts refugee admissions for 120 days to improve the vetting process, then caps refugee admissions at 50,000 per year. Outrageous, right? Not so fast. Before 2016, when Obama dramatically ramped up refugee admissions, Trump’s 50,000 stands roughly in-between a typical year of refugee admissions in George W. Bush’s two terms and a typical year in Obama’s two terms.

In 2002, the United States admitted only 27,131 refugees. It admitted fewer than 50,000 in 2003, 2006, and 2007. As for President Obama, he was slightly more generous than President Bush, but his refugee cap from 2013 to 2015 was a mere 70,000, and in 2011 and 2012 he admitted barely more than 50,000 refugees himself.

The bottom line is that Trump is improving security screening and intends to admit refugees at close to the average rate of the 15 years before Obama’s dramatic expansion in 2016. Obama’s expansion was a departure from recent norms, not Trump’s contraction.

Second, the order imposes a temporary, 90-day ban on people entering the U.S. from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen. These are countries either torn apart by jihadist violence or under the control of hostile, jihadist governments.

The ban is in place while the Department of Homeland Security determines the “information needed from any country to adjudicate any visa, admission, or other benefit under the INA (adjudications) in order to determine that the individual seeking the benefit is who the individual claims to be and is not a security or public-safety threat.” It could, however, be extended or expanded depending on whether countries are capable of providing the requested information.

The ban, however, contains an important exception: “Secretaries of State and Homeland Security may, on a case-by-case basis, and when in the national interest, issue visas or other immigration benefits to nationals of countries for which visas and benefits are otherwise blocked.” In other words, the secretaries can make exceptions — a provision that would, one hopes, fully allow interpreters and other proven allies to enter the U.S. during the 90-day period.

3 minutes ago, Commodore said:

a 120 day freeze on refugees and a 90 day freeze on entry from jihadi controlled areas to review policies is perfectly reasonable

Tell that to the people who aren't going to be alive when it's over.

Just now, Swordfish said:

I don't know what information you're talking about, or why you think that could be the topic.  I was commenting specifically on the story about the conversations they are having now.

Well, I don't know what you're talking about.

But, here is a narrative for you: The Republican Party has told some mighty big whoppers about the ACA. So, I'd say they've been out to "smite" Obamare for a while. Trouble is that they talked a bunch of shit and had little to back up their trash talking bullshit.

And it's time people call them on it.

2 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Well, I don't know what you're talking about.

But, here is a narrative for you: The Republican Party has told some mighty big whoppers about the ACA. So, I'd say they've been out to "smite" Obamare for a while. Trouble is that they talked a bunch of shit and had little to back up their trash talking bullshit.

And it's time people call them on it.

Yeah, it 's a real shame no one has ever called that out before.

Thanks for calling it to our attention.

1 hour ago, felice said:

It seems pretty obvious that Obama was giving Saudi Arabia special treatment because it's a major trading partner (most crucially oil), and I expect there's a significant correlation between countries the US has a lot of trade with and countries where Trump has business interests. There's a big difference between looking out for the US's economic interests and looking out for your own, even if the outcome looks the same.

So, when Obama places no visa restrictions on Saudi Arabia it's because he was looking out for the US' interests.  When Trump does the same, however, it's because he is looking out for himself.  Right.  Makes sense.

Just now, Swordfish said:

Yeah, it 's a real shame no one has ever called that out before.

Thanks for calling it to our attention.

And thanks for your extremely profound remarks, though I don't have the slightest clue what in the hell it meant.

In New York only, and it's for people who were in transit already with reasonable expectation of being granted entry. It's not a nationwide stay and it doesn't apply for people still yet to embark for the States.

I wonder if there's a similar filing in Chicago, there's a pretty big protest at O'Hare as well.

The EO was, in fact, being applied to green card holders; I think I heard on the news that at least one US citizen was being held as well. A Clemson professor who's been here for 7 years and went home to visit family was denied re-entry. At O'Hare, a fucking 18-month old toddler was being held.

44 minutes ago, Werthead said:

In New York only, and it's for people who were in transit already with reasonable expectation of being granted entry. It's not a nationwide stay and it doesn't apply for people still yet to embark for the States.

I wonder if there's a similar filing in Chicago, there's a pretty big protest at O'Hare as well.

It is nationwide, and it says those in transit on a valid visa can't be removed/detained until a ruling on the EO has been made.

21 minutes ago, Commodore said:

It is nationwide, and it says those in transit on a valid visa can't be removed/detained until a ruling on the EO has been made.

Does anyone know what the INS and Customs officials are doing in response?  Are they releasing those who have been detained?

51 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Does anyone know what the INS and Customs officials are doing in response?  Are they releasing those who have been detained?

nothing official, but I'm seeing a bunch of shit on twitter about US Customs and Border Protection refusing to comply with court ordered stay, and an Iranian woman detained and forced on a flight back to Copenhagen from LAX

16 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

So strange how silent republicans on my facebook feed are tonight.  It was like nonstop posting about being so called pro-life pro-america and then bam they suddenly don't give a shit about either of those things.  Figures.  

Actually, the pro-Trump people on my feed are quiet too.

Archived