U.S. Politics: It's Torture

drawkcabi

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

What, you're an American as well?  The Liberal party is a centre parry, it's the NDP that are left wing. Remember? Harper tried to boot the Liberals out of the centre and take it over, but his right wing tendencies came out too much for that to last.  Republican Light.

Hairboys policies don't seem very centrist to me.

11 minutes ago, Samantha Stark said:

Can confirm as a Canadian. Harper only seems centrist compared to the Republicans, and if the conservative party was ever centrist it was in the Progressive Conservative days. Can't really be muzzling scientists and spout originalism  while still calling yourself a "centrist". 

Trump imposes lobbying ban.  Interesting, but I suspect smoke and mirrors.  If not, about half of DC will throw a hissy fit:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-sets-5-year-and-lifetime-lobbying-ban-for-officials/ar-AAmm1nh?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnclassic

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump acted Saturday to fulfill a key portion of his pledge to "drain the swamp" in Washington, banning administration officials from ever lobbying the U.S. on behalf of a foreign government and imposing a separate five-year ban on other lobbying.

Administration officials described the bans as historic in scope. But it was not immediately clear how either one would be enforced.

Well its barely been a week and I think millions of Americans have all the evidence they need, that this Presidency needs to be opposed, protested and thwarted by any means possible.

A quick Google of "Ways to resist Trump" shows many, many, articles have already been written on just that idea. Here's a small sample of whats out there, should anyone be looking for ideas.

Politico › magazine › story › 2017/01
4 days ago - Not a shabby way to begin “The Resistance”—and a sure sign that liberals should be able to ... resistance movement will end up being little more than an annoying mosquito in Donald Trump's ear, one ...
The New Yorker › news › john-cassidy
Dec 16, 2016 - John Cassidy offers Americans nine ways that they might actively resist the Donald TrumpPresidential Administration and the Republican agenda.

Newsweek › robert-reich-twelve-ways-re...
Jan 6, 2017 - Trump's first 100 days agenda includes repealing environmental regulations, Obamacare and the Dodd-Frank Act, giving the rich and big corporations a huge tax cut, and putting in pla

Last year I planned a trip to the states but due to my brother's bureaucratic complications, it was postponed. I had hoped that this year I could get to the states, but with this travel ban thing going on I do not want to anymore.

My country is not on Drumpf's list and I'm no Muslim. Still, I could face hassle at the airport and who knows?! Maybe Drumpf will suddenly add my country to the list because of some terrorist attack that might occur in my country while I'm on the flight. 

Some American conservatives will probably gloat at this and claim they are keeping unwanted people like myself out. But I just think it's a loss of tourist revenue and building barriers of mistrust between communities.

2 hours ago, Samantha Stark said:

Which of these men do you think spends more time on his hair?

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2016-11-07-1478551802-7215480-trudeau1.jpg

http://static.politico.com/a2/01/4fa959254c2f9216910f47649004/160114-donald-trump-2-ap-1160.jpg

I know only one has time left over to run his country competently. The other spends his remaining time tweeting about stuff he watches on TV.

It's good that the judges have stayed these orders but let's not fool ourselves: there is no good outcome here. Trump's administration can rethink and try again. Worse, they can and will use any defeat as a weapon too. Even if the ban is ruled unconstitutional, any future terror attack, committed by an immigrant or not, will prompt cries of 'this is the fault of those activist judges who struck down the immigration ban!'

The only end to this is getting rid of Trump and his cronies.

7 hours ago, Tempra said:

So, when Obama places no visa restrictions on Saudi Arabia it's because he was looking out for the US' interests.  When Trump does the same, however, it's because he is looking out for himself.  Right.  Makes sense.

Obama doesn't have business interests in Saudi Arabia; Trump does. It's called conflict of interest.

I have always loathe the idea of comparing anything or anyone to Nazi's and fascism. I've believed there are indeed appropriate circumstances, I mean there are neo-nazis and others with far (alt) right beliefs in the world. But I've always been super hesitant, never wanting to enact Godwin's Law for fear of cheapening the comparison.

Maybe it's partly because I'm in the middle book of Ken Follet's "Century" trilogy dealing with WWII and the rise of fascism, but I'm ready to call it, Trump and his administration is fascist, shades of Germany in the 1930's, and I thought I was freaked out before, but that feeling is seriously intensifying.

11 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Maybe it's partly because I'm in the middle book of Ken Follet's "Century" trilogy dealing with WWII and the rise of fascism, but I'm ready to call it, Trump and his administration is fascist, shades of Germany in the 1930's, and I thought I was freaked out before, but that feeling is seriously intensifying.

I think you need to study the history some more or perhaps filter the hysteria of the media. Thus far, Trump's actions are not anywhere close to what happened in Germany in the 1930s. The properties he shares with them are shared by a wide variety of societies. The dominant theme of his administration so far is nationalism ("America first!") which has existed in various forms and intensities in all nation states. The other themes (safety over diversity, nativism, etc.) are also common to many different countries throughout time.

Of course, it is possible for him to move towards fascism, but to claim that he is already there or even headed in that direction based on his actions up until now is completely absurd.

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

Sure seems like Bannon is running the country right now. 

This, more than anything else, scares me. I'm not American, so whilst I can lament American domestic policy, it doesn't affect me directly very much. But Bannon having direct influence over American military and security policy?

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

That has potentially very serious consequences for the world as a whole. This is extremely troubling.

55 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Of course, it is possible for him to move towards fascism, but to claim that he is already there or even headed in that direction based on his actions up until now is completely absurd.

I have to agree. 

Trump = wrong  is easy to argue
Hitler = wrong is well established
However (Trump = Hitler)=wrong

6 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Such bills were long overdue - at least since 60ties. Direct action is not free speech. I'm actually hoping they pass similar federal laws that clearly state, that the forms of direct action like riots and blocking of infrastructure and various industrial projects are not free speech, and the organisers and protestors should be held financially liable for damage and economic losses.

10 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

Tell that to the people who aren't going to be alive when it's over.

There are other countries where they can go. USA is not the only place where you can ask for asylum, you know.

12 hours ago, Triskan said:

I'm sure people will be lining up  to assist the US as translators next time we invade some country now that the world sees how Trump treats foreigners that aid the US.

I'm pretty sure no one signed as translator, because he was promised green card.

Overall the bans are good first step... The second one week be to apply ideological test on all other immigrants - ban sharia supporters, muslim brotherhood members, communists and violent anarchists and Chinese who are not dissidents, but are supporting PRC government.

3 hours ago, felice said:

Obama doesn't have business interests in Saudi Arabia; Trump does. It's called conflict of interest.

I don't think you know how conflict of interest laws work (and they don't apply to Trump).  Ironically, if those laws applied to Trump, he would be prohibited from being involved in decisions to ban immigration from Saudi Arabia, too.

52 minutes ago, sToNED_CAT said:

Such bills were long overdue - at least since 60ties.

Interesting time period you're complaining about, the era of the Civil Rights movement, the Anti-Vietnam movement, the Women's Rights Movement, the Gay Rights Movement...

There are other countries where they can go. USA is not the only place where you can ask for asylum, you know.

The process to get refugee status in the U.S. (and many other countries) can take approximately 2 years. Some of these people will be dead 2 years from now, now that they have to start all over.

I'm pretty sure no one signed as translator, because he was promised green card.

Overall the bans are good first step... The second one week be to apply ideological test on all other immigrants - ban sharia supporters, muslim brotherhood members, communists and violent anarchists and Chinese who are not dissidents, but are supporting PRC government.

Why do you care about who the U.S. permits into the country, exactly?

Commodore,

The obvious reason why the audio sent to the press has not been released is that those who were in that room will be able to figure out, or at least severely narrow down, who recorded it based on how near/far various people recorded seemed to be.

Archived