Riverdale -- Archie, only with more murder

Bastard of Boston

I've decided I'm really excited to watch this show. I've been keeping up with the buzz, ever since it was announced. It's being touted as Archie meets Twin Peaks, or something anyone craving for more Veronica Mars-esque shows should watch. Moreover, the guy who is writing the Afterlife with Archie comics is showrunning this. Afterlife with Archie is Archie set during a zombie apocalypse, and it's amazing. The show premieres tonight. Board, I challenge you to watch with me so I won't be lonely.

Watched the pilot, and it was pretty meh. I liked how they kind of changed things up up a little bit, but really after the initial charm of seeing the classic Archie comics characters wore off, I found it to be rather like most other CW shows. There are some changes I didn't care for though, making Archie and Jughead not being friends, Veronica's situation, Josie and the Pussycat dolls being total bitches (They're so nice and fun loving in the comics), and to a much lesser extent, Moose apparently being a closeted homosexual (feels like it would make more sense for it to be Reggie, just saying). Maybe I spent too much time reading the comics as a kid if these things bothered me, but oh well. Ultimately, the worst change I can think of is how everything is grimdark and angsty, that just doesn't really jive with the source material, I wish it was a little lighter.

Also, I can't take the whole Archie slept with Miss Grundy thing seriously, I just keep picturing her as the character from the comics.

I liked it. I've never been into the comics, though I read a few here and there when I was a kid. But, for what it's worth, I'm in for now. Seems like you could have just as easily made the same show though without the Archie comics tie in, and just called it something else. But maybe calling it Riverdale gets people watching. 

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, we're making progress -- the show is improving each week. I feel that they devoted a lot of time trying to make us care about the characters and their angst in the opening episodes, resulting in something really bland. I felt they should've roped us in by ramping up the intrigue, and once everyone was on the hook, they could've given us the angsty tropes the CW loves. But, I guess with the CW, they work in reverse...angst as the foundation.

The show quickly became my guilty pleasure of 2017.  There are the aspects of being a teen drama that you need to accept and with that there is a lot of great elements in the show.

Betty, Veronica, and Cheryl are overall outstanding of the show.  The show took time to build Betty and Veronica relationship and made sure not be just be Archie focus.

The last episode was Cheryl big moment but they build it very well with her interactions through the first episodes.

I really like how they done the interactions with the characters.  The past couple episode with Betty and Jughead have been a great team.

Archie have been kind of the weak link though I think the character been good. Having him involved with Hot "Grundy" created an akward start and been the weakest storyline so far.  It is very humorous how they find ways to make sure he is shirtless a lot. Favorite so far was episode 2 when he just decided to run at night without his shirt to "Grundy" house.

The heavy pop reference I find to work for it shows how long Archie comics been around for.

Line that demostrate the odd goodness of the show is when Jughead told Archie before he met Dooley that "I am off to shakedown an evil Adventure Scout".

Luke Perry is Archie's Dad. Molly Ringwald will show up later as Archie's Mom. Robin Givens is the town mayor and Josie's mom.  I know I am missing a few.

The show has just been great fun so far.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

In a town full of awful parents, I'm trying to decide whether Betty's Mom or Josie's dad is the absolute fucking worst

I go with the Coopers

Spoiler

Hiding the death of the father from your pregnant daughter and fabricating several horrible lies to hide it is just being awful and terrible people.

The best so far right now will be Kevin's dad. Archie's Dad is on the better side but there is a few things I think will come up with him.

I like everything about this show EXCEPT Archie lol!!! I liked that in the newest episode he really is kind of dumb...I hope they keep that up for some reason as it would make sense and then all the other characters can do the interesting stuff 

Archived