The Leftovers (spoilers)

RumHam

The "2% of threads disappeared" thread is locked. This comes back  April 14th. I'm excited. This show it not always fun to watch but it is consistently affecting. Not to mention well written and acted. 

Some information has emerged about season three that you may or may not want to know going in. No major spoilers.

This season will apparently see the Garveys traveling to Australia to visit Kevin's father. (There was also a report on either the radio or TV last season about a guy in Australia who claimed he had returned from the afterlife and was now immortal. Which seemed a lot more relevant after Kevin's experiences in the last couple episodes.) The Murphys are also said to return, though it's not yet clear if they'll be making the trip down under. 

47 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Since this is the final season...I wonder of they'll explain what happened

I don't expect them to reveal what the departure was. Though it would be kinda funny if after saying again and again we'd never get an explanation they did provide one. Sorta the inverse of Lost. 

eYeah that almost certainly part of the shows charm in that you are never going to find out WHY things have happened, and in that way you are in the exact same situation as the characters on the show. Maybe thats a bit why I'm uneasy about that episode on season 2 that was sort of in an afterlife... it gave too many definite answers to questions that don't need answers.

20 hours ago, RumHam said:

I don't expect them to reveal what the departure was. Though it would be kinda funny if after saying again and again we'd never get an explanation they did provide one. Sorta the inverse of Lost. 

No lie, I don't expect answers but I would like a neat bow on the Departure and all this stuff with Kevin's blackouts and his dad. 

What I really think this series has to deliver though is a story arch for the Garvey family. If it's just three seasons of "Death and loss sucks, here are ways people deal with it!" then I'll be pretty pissed off. Lindeloff & Perotta are still telling a story. The story of Kevin Garvey & his family better have some satisfactory closure.

Don't get me wrong, gang... I don't think they *should* try to explain the departure, nor do I think they will... I'm just wondering if they might be dumb enough to try... I agree that there is no way to do this without it sucking ... it could only be "god", Aliens, or Bobby Ewing in the shower.... all of which would cause justifiable anger amongst the show's faithful

If nothing else, this show gave us all Carrie Coon

They're not going to explicitly explain the departure. But I could see them expanding on last season's afterlife mythology to suggest a possible explanation. Or at least make it clear that the departed are not in that "hotel." 

I kinda like the idea that there is a god and the departure is the first interesting thing humanity has done in thousands of years, so now he's paying attention again. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That looks awesome, properly apocalyptic! I love that this show has gotten better if when it ran out of source material. When does that ever happen. 

The song over that trailer was great but it got me really worried that they will change the opening credits from season 2 which for some reason almost bring me to tears every time. Such a simple concept, but seeing the gaps in these images where people were really brings home what it means when someone just 'disappears'.

Plus I think the song is brilliant.

Archived