The Leftovers (spoilers)

RumHam

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Wasn't one of the ladies the same one that asked old Nora about Kevin in 3x01 though? 

None of them were. However, Grace(the leader) reminded me a lot of the woman who's faith kept getting tested in the intro of s3ep1. I'm wondering how they know about the book of Kevin? Have Matt and Kevin Sr. been in contact? Is this the future? And wth wasn't the police officer driving a V8 Interceptor?

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

None of them were. However, Grace(the leader) reminded me a lot of the woman who's faith kept getting tested in the intro of s3ep1. I'm wondering how they know about the book of Kevin? Have Matt and Kevin Sr. been in contact? Is this the future? And wth wasn't the police officer driving a V8 Interceptor?

This is pretty conclusively the future. When Kevin the Australian police chief went into the office to chew out his deputy, the television news show was talking about the 7th anniversary of October 15th coming up. Since the departure date we know about was October 14th three years before the current timeline, this has to be in reference to something in the future that we aren't familiar with yet.

This means that Australian police chief could well indeed be Kevin, and next episode at the end, we could see him raise.

In other news... This is the best damn television show that I have ever seen. The Trampoline scene alone was worth the watch. Nothing gets to me like The Leftovers.

4 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

This is pretty conclusively the future. When Kevin the Australian police chief went into the office to chew out his deputy, the television news show was talking about the 7th anniversary of October 15th coming up. Since the departure date we know about was October 14th three years before the current timeline, this has to be in reference to something in the future that we aren't familiar with yet.

I don't think so. October 15th isn't likely referring to a new event, that's simply the Departure date in Australia. Just doing some quick googling, it looks like as long as the Departure took place anytime after 10 am EDT on October 14th, then it was already October 15th in Australia (well, Sydney at least).

Also, in the previous week's "future" timeline Nora looked significantly older, I'd guess 20 years easy. Kevin's dad did not. I'd say this last episode was pretty firmly in the current timeline.

7 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

The current timeline is coming up on the 7th anniversary of departure.  The first season started on the 3rd anniversary of the event, the 2nd season was about a year later.  and in the 1st episode of this season, there was a 3 year time jump following the missile drop on the Evie and the rest of the Guilty Remnant.

20 hours ago, matt b said:

I don't think so. October 15th isn't likely referring to a new event, that's simply the Departure date in Australia. Just doing some quick googling, it looks like as long as the Departure took place anytime after 10 am EDT on October 14th, then it was already October 15th in Australia (well, Sydney at least).

Also, in the previous week's "future" timeline Nora looked significantly older, I'd guess 20 years easy. Kevin's dad did not. I'd say this last episode was pretty firmly in the current timeline.

Yep. That's how I understood it. From the previews it looks like S3E3 is going to give us some answers about Australia and Kevin's dad.

On 4/23/2017 at 8:59 PM, RumHam said:

My first thought was "oh no they changed the credits!" then I realized what was happening. :laugh: 

My first thought was, "I know this song! What show is it from?" Then the payoff was fucking great. That theme song was a great immediate payoff for fans who remembered the mention of Mark Lynn Baker faking his departure from season one. I wasn't one of those fans, so I had to wait for the Perfect Strangers explanation a bit later.

On 4/23/2017 at 9:42 PM, Nictarion said:

Great Nora-centric episode. I can't praise Carrie Coon enough. Just love her. Her "Wu-Tang Band" tattoo is my new favorite thing. :lol:

I'm not even going to try to figure out what's going on in Australia. I'm just enjoying the ride.

Agreed. Neither Wu-Tang Clan nor Nora are nuthin' ta fuck with! Just ask Brett Butler. (Great cameo, from her.) And that line had me literally LOL'n--"I thought it was a phoenix." :lol:

In my personal life I unfortunately experienced a work related death this weekend, and this episode definitely helped me process that. As long as S3 doesn't sour me along the way somehow, I think this will be one of the rare series I go back and binge re-watch when it's all over.

Yeah I definitely believe the Australian timeline is current. The dads age doesn't match up to the age progression of Nora at all.

Did I hear it wrong or did one of the women said to the Australian Kevin that they are friends of Matts, which I take to be Matt the preacher who knows that Kevin and Nora are heading to Australia?

So how hard was that for Nora? She assumed the baby was left for her, only to lose her, see her again and her not recognize Nora, then find out she wasn't the one the baby was left for. It's no wonder she is going to Australia. I mean damn she comes home and finds Kevin auto asphyxiating after all of that! 

5 hours ago, Commodore said:

one theory I've seen is that the Nora we see in Australia is not aged, but rather damaged by radiation

Wow... That's a good one I have not heard of! 

I am enjoying this show very much! So much fun . This is the best thing since Lost for me (besides GOT) and I can't wait for Sunday. 

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yeah I definitely believe the Australian timeline is current. The dads age doesn't match up to the age progression of Nora at all.

Did I hear it wrong or did one of the women said to the Australian Kevin that they are friends of Matts, which I take to be Matt the preacher who knows that Kevin and Nora are heading to Australia?

So how hard was that for Nora? She assumed the baby was left for her, only to lose her, see her again and her not recognize Nora, then find out she wasn't the one the baby was left for. It's no wonder she is going to Australia. I mean damn she comes home and finds Kevin auto asphyxiating after all of that! 

Tom's line to Nora about not even knowing she existed was the coldest thing I saw on television this year. What a fucking gut punch.

I've liked the two episodes so far, but I'm not into the season as much as I was in season 2. Then again, it is hard to replicate the impact the Murphys had on the show ( imo, the MVPs of that season). That presence, and counterpoint to Kevin is missing, but there is still plenty to enjoy so far. 

10 hours ago, Astromech said:

Tom's line to Nora about not even knowing she existed was the coldest thing I saw on television this year. What a fucking gut punch.

Huh, I didn't take it so much as Tom being cold as him being brutally honest. Nora was trying to be hurtful in that moment, put the blame/cause and weight of her grief on to Tom. And he hit her right back with the truth, a bit of her own medicine. And Nora being Nora, takes that treatment and slaps Bret Butler's character (Tower Guy Widow) with some of her own hard truth.

First episode blew my mind a bit at the end, the second one made me want to sleep at times. Maybe its because although I think Norah is a brilliant character it feels a bit like the story has moved past her arc of season one and now I want to know more about Kevin. I feel a bit guilty about that because the show shouldn't be that 'What happens next' kind of show, it wasn't that in the first season. 

Can I express my annoyance at the change of theme tune btw.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I loved it, but I've always kind of had a soft spot for the Perfect Strangers theme song. I imagine it was probably just a one-off kind of thing though, I bet they'll go back to the season 2 theme song for the next episode.

6 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

First episode blew my mind a bit at the end, the second one made me want to sleep at times. Maybe its because although I think Norah is a brilliant character it feels a bit like the story has moved past her arc of season one and now I want to know more about Kevin. I feel a bit guilty about that because the show shouldn't be that 'What happens next' kind of show, it wasn't that in the first season. 

Kevin's shenanigans are entertaining, but Nora is the heart of the show for me. 

Pretty sure I read that the music will be different every week the rest of the season. 

At the beginning of the episode, I wondered if ot was a good idea to waste an entire episode on a character we've barely known. By the end of it , I felt like we've known Kevin Sr from  beginning. Great episode 

13 minutes ago, The King in Black said:

At the beginning of the episode, I wondered if ot was a good idea to waste an entire episode on a character we've barely known. By the end of it , I felt like we've known Kevin Sr from  beginning. Great episode 

I was looking forward to this one when I read the episode descriptions.  Scott Glenn was great. 

I thought it was a little slow and didn't really grip me until the end when that woman was telling her departure story. Probably wouldn't have minded in a binge situation but as is it was I found it a little disappointing. 

I loved the episode. Scott Glenn was fantastic. Loved Kevin Sr.'s one on ones with Chris Sunday and Grace and how he needed empathy and understanding in the former and offered it in the latter. His final line to Grace gave me goosebumps. Love what his plan is in Australia so far.

Archived