The Leftovers (spoilers)

RumHam

I'll just echo what a lot of people have already written and say Scott Glenn knocked this episode outta the park. between this and his role as Stick on Daredevil he is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. And the writing for this episode was also exceptional. 

This is now my second favorite episode of the season only surpassed by season 2 episode 8. I am really sad that we are wrapping this show up right now. It has finally reached its glorious stride.

Agree with most, it was a slow episode, you could see it building toward the end of last weeks but took a long walkabout to get there. The last 5 minutes made it worth it though.

So they were already building that boat before they found him correct?

Feel for the lady, I mean, you would assume that they were all taken, not just one.

Damn. S3E4 was another emotional rollercoaster. That scene with Kevin and Nora in the hotel was just...damn. 

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Yeah, I wonder if they only take those that refuse to answer at all? :dunno:

I'm glad y'all caught that about the killing a baby to cure cancer. I even went back and checked the last episode to make sure I remembered that the self-immolation guy gave the opposite answer of Nora. I think maybe the whole thing is a scam or some kind of psychological experiment being run. Either that or those "scientists" didn't like Wu-Tang Clan. They seemed like they'd be more Tribe Called Quest fans.

Thinking about it more I think the two scientists disagreed on whether Nora was for real or trying to bust them even before she arrived. Her flippant answer to the baby murder question once she established it wasn't her baby may have sealed the deal, even if she did give the right answer. 

Also during that conversation I couldn't help but think of The Prestige. I'll leave it at that for now but anyone who hasn't seen that movie should. Even if I'm way off about it's relevance to this subplot, it's still a good movie. 

Nora - it's funny how she reacts to Kevin when he calls her out about how she truly feels. She knows damn good and well that she was planning to go through with it and he saw through her. Now it kind of blows out the theory that "old Nora" we saw was current time and from radiation damage.

Kevin - Dude is going through some serious mental suffering. Questioning everything he see and hears must be rough.

I know they aren't going to tie this up in a tidy bow when it ends but I do want some resolution. 

So maybe the tests are a way to weed out people who are suicidal and not truly believers? Didn't Nora used to pay someone to shoot her in the chest to feel the pain? And then she clearly isn't 100% sold on this thing and thinks they may be kill her and steal her money and yet she is there. The other guy killed himself after being rejected. IDK, hopefully we hear a little more about it.

I read a NY Times article the other day theorizing perhaps the test is another stunt by the Guilty Remnant. Perhaps it is. Perhaps they are taunting or breaking individuals who hold similar occupations like Nora's with DSD. I don't think the answer(which we probably won't get anyways) is as important as its effect on those individuals. This show has always been more about the emotional and psychological journey of the characters. The reality is less important.

Today I was wondering what if these scientists are legit. What if they won't accept people that are dishonest with their answers? For example, self-immolation guy honestly would've killed the kid to save cancer, but he didn't answer honestly, so they rejected him. Same with Nora and her likely unwillingness to kill any baby no matter the benefits of its death's outcome. 

I laughed a few times out loud. Probably not what Matt imagined a meeting with God would be like. I liked the episode, but missed Kevin and Nora a bit. The music was completely on point this episode.

Archived