RIP John Hurt

Werthead

Legend.

Much will be made of the fact that he had the greatest single death scene in the history of cinema (twice, as he spoofed it later in Spaceballs!). And, let's face it, this is something many other actors would kill for. But we also shouldn't forget his fantastic performances in films like The Elephant Man and Nineteen Eighty-Four, not to mention his unusual and excellent role in Doctor Who as the secret "War Doctor" incarnation of that character. He was also the first actor to ever play Aragorn on screen, voicing the role in Ralph Bakshi's animated Lord of the Rings in 1978. He also had very memorable roles in three of the Harry Potter movies, not to mention Watership DownV For Vendetta and both Hellboy movies.

RIP :crying:

Also was wonderful in Jim Henson's "The Storyteller". Anyone who hasn't seen this series I strongly recommend looking it up.

37 minutes ago, Notone said:

Goodbye 2016.

Welcome 2017.

RIP.

I suppose it's true now that with so many famous people in the world and time going by and catching up with so many of them, we're at the point where 2016 is the new normal. :( 

I forget who said that once 2017 comes along, people will start feeling nostalgic for 2016.  I'm starting to think whoever that was was right.

Anyway, I watched V For Vendetta over and over during 2016's last two months as a form of therapy and looks like I'll be watching it again real soon.

RIP, John Hurt.

4 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

RIP :crying:

Also was wonderful in Jim Henson's "The Storyteller". Anyone who hasn't seen this series I strongly recommend looking it up.

Yes, absolutely. I have very fond memories of him as the Storyteller. 

And also of his Caligula! Everyone should watch I Claudius if they haven't already. Sadly the BBC has blocked all the I Claudius content on youtube, even very short clips, so I can't link to my favourite bits with John Hurt. 

And as the voice of Hazel! He had such a beautiful voice. The most lovely I've ever heard. :crying:

2 hours ago, dog-days said:

And as the voice of Hazel! He had such a beautiful voice. The most lovely I've ever heard. :crying:

What I always found amazing is that he returned for the animated series years later, but there he took on the role of General Woundwort (though not all episodes unfortunately).

Archived