How do D&D decide what to keep/cut..?

Rachel of Oldstones

Does anyone know how/why D&D have decided to cut certain storylines  (example: (f)Aegon...) and when to stick to to GRRM's original story?

I'm looking for factual answers, with quotes, interviews... Legit sources. I have done a few searches with no luck. But I know that this is the place to find out.

Thanks! 

They cut everything that is not potentially shocking.

They also take into account that there are 4 super characters that need more screentime than others: Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Cersei. So stories of other main characters from the books are minimised.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls076752033/

On 31/01/2017 at 6:09 PM, dsug said:

what's actual important, has future potential, is actually interesting, what audiences will actually care about

...And anything that meets this criteria is cut, to be replaced with what d$d consider to be "edgy", "shocking", and "badass". (Regardless of whether it makes sense, or is consistent with the story that they have already started to tell.)

They have their favorites and hated ones from the books and they took the opportunites on their creation to glorify, enhance and punish here and there. They also did with some of the families in general. They seem pro Lannister or at least sympathetic to them ie Grampa Tywin to Arya at Harrenhal, Cersei long stares of sadness and grief because her son's wife is the new Queen and she is nothing anymore, Jaime being love with his sister is a love story etc.

Then they seem to be cynical in their portrayal of House Stark and take swipes at their honor, like Robb marrying Talisa instead of the apparent Honey trap of Jeyne Westerling, Ned being a braggart on the show reg Ser Arthur Dayne when he never spoke of it in the books. Sansa being submissive to her wedding ceremony to Tyrion when she was defiant during the ceremony and catatonic with disgust and repulsiveness of the Imp in general in the books, the Cat self bashing speech to Talisa reg Jon Snow etc.

3 hours ago, Darkstream said:

...And anything that meets this criteria is cut, to be replaced with what d$d consider to be "edgy", "shocking", and "badass". (Regardless of whether it makes sense, or is consistent with the story that they have already started to tell.)

i replied to the OP, I didn't ask for ur clever commentary 

They leave in the elements of the story that are important to the plot and allow them to tell a coherent narrative. Unlike GRRM, D&D didn't overload the show with too many storylines and plot threads. They have control of their story, whereas Martin lost control of his.

4 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

If that is true, why did they cut Lady Stoneheart? She is a prime example of shock value.

3 hours ago, dsug said:

i replied to the OP, I didn't ask for ur clever commentary 

Sorry, I didn't know that I needed a prompt, or your permission, to post a response on a public forum, my bad. You do know that there is a block user function? You can simply block me...that is, if you don't appreciate my clever commentary. :o :(

...And it's really not all that clever, just calling it how I see it.

2 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

Except they already had Beric resurrect from the dead, so your point is invalid.

Well, I'm guessing a third time would be even less shocking then a second, so @I Don't Shagwell's point is valid, and yours is invalid.

Besides, nobody said d&d were successful in pulling this off. Odds are that they don't even know who Beric is, or remember that he was a character on their show.

7 hours ago, Darkstream said:

Well, I'm guessing a third time would be even less shocking then a second, so @I Don't Shagwell's point is valid, and yours is invalid.

Jon Snow's death wasn't shocking though, because it was built up via good storytelling. They introduced resurrection earlier in the series and had a red priestess loyal to Jon made aware of the possibility. With Lady Stoneheart, it is the grotesque nature of her resurrection that makes her so shocking. If D&D only care about shocking people, they wouldn't have been able to resist putting her in, but they don't. They care about telling a good, coherent story, and Lady Stoneheart doesn't fit the bill.

Besides, nobody said d&d were successful in pulling this off. Odds are that they don't even know who Beric is, or remember that he was a character on their show.

Beric appeared in season 6 and will likely appear in season 7, so they definitely didn't forget about him. The Hound even made a joke about how Beric doesn't seem able to die.

14 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

They also take into account that there are 4 super characters that need more screentime than others: Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Cersei. So stories of other main characters from the books are minimised.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls076752033/

To be fair, the book focuses on its main characters as well, its just that the content overall is scaled up, as opposed to the tv show.

That's simply just hate talking on your part. They got the deal from GRRM because they have read the books, and were able to answer his questions to see if they are knowledgeable of the material or not. If you believe that GRRM could not tell if a person has read his books or not, you're simply naive.

1 hour ago, Nocturne said:

To be fair, the book focuses on its main characters as well, its just that the content overall is scaled up, as opposed to the tv show.

not exactly. Just to put an example, Cersei only appears in one of the five books as a POV and here is among the main ones.

10 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

Except they already had Beric resurrect from the dead, so your point is invalid.

10 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

no because Beric's moment had appeared many seasons before when they still were adapting the books and didn't take into account the premises I stated before.

LSH and Jon had to appear in the same season so if LSH had appeared, even if it had been logical because they had been mentioning Cat during all s6, and shocking, it would have minimised Jon's resurrection impact. And there is only one thing that is more important than shocking moments in general: The shocking moments of those four characters that deserve all the attention.

7 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

Jon Snow's death wasn't shocking though, because it was built up via good storytelling. They introduced resurrection earlier in the series and had a red priestess loyal to Jon made aware of the possibility. With Lady Stoneheart, it is the grotesque nature of her resurrection that makes her so shocking. If D&D only care about shocking people, they wouldn't have been able to resist putting her in, but they don't. They care about telling a good, coherent story, and Lady Stoneheart doesn't fit the bill.

Ba ha ha ha!!! Oh that's a good one!! :lmao:

Well, we are certainly in disagreement about that.

Beric appeared in season 6 and will likely appear in season 7, so they definitely didn't forget about him. The Hound even made a joke about how Beric doesn't seem able to die.

7 hours ago, Nocturne said:

That's simply just hate talking on your part. They got the deal from GRRM because they have read the books, and were able to answer his questions to see if they are knowledgeable of the material or not. If you believe that GRRM could not tell if a person has read his books or not, you're simply naive.

Um yeah, it was meant to be a flippant remark. Mayhaps your naievity caused you to miss that? I'm sure d$d did read the books...well, up to the Red Wedding anyway. One would think that if d$d read any further, they would know that Sam was a pov character... but they didn't.

And yeah, they were able to answer GRRM's question as to who were Jon's parents, something that was already plastered all over the Internet.

The point is, they have previously forgotten, or shown that they simply don't care about details or coherency, if it stands in the way of them doing what they creatively want to do. If there is a scene that they think is cool or shocking, they force it in, story be damned.

Archived