Late to the party....

King in t'North

16 hours ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

Welcome!

As others have mentioned avoid this place until your're done with the books!

1/3 done with Storm *chortles* I think I shared most of your views on those characters at that point. Except I like Robb and LOATHE Sam.

I would probably loathe Sam if I were not so much like him. And I do like Robb, very much, I just think he was rather shiftless in his choices and didn't care to think out the consequences to other people of his weaknesses. That's a big bug-bear of mine.

Okay, I've changed my mind about Catelyn. I don't dislike her any more, I absolutely ****ing DESPISE her! Having human frailties is one thing, making other innocent humans suffer because you're too weak to keep your own angst to yourself is quite another. I hope the bitch roasts in the seven hells.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:04 PM, The Fresh PtwP said:

Welcome!

As others have mentioned avoid this place until your're done with the books!

1/3 done with Storm *chortles* I think I shared most of your views on those characters at that point. Except I like Robb and LOATHE Sam.

I was about to suggest that he go try the "Still Reading" threads, but realized they are not really active. There would be no interaction.

So I do not think you need to avoid this place until you are done reading the 5 books, but spoilers will not be blocked out as they may in other portions of this forum, tread lightly @King in t'North.

On 31/01/2017 at 11:39 PM, Raisin' Bran said:

I was about to suggest that he go try the "Still Reading" threads, but realized they are not really active. There would be no interaction.

So I do not think you need to avoid this place until you are done reading the 5 books, but spoilers will not be blocked out as they may in other portions of this forum, tread lightly @King in t'North.

To be honest, I don't mind spoilers and I don't think there's much that's to come that I don't already know about.

Well, if you know the plot and what's to come from sources of the show only, I'd tread lightly. If you also know what is different/missing from the books, then less lightly, I guess. You're still in for some surprises I think.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2017 at 10:33 PM, King in t'North said:

Jaime (Which is my actual real name! Albeit spelt J-A-M-I-E.) seems to me to have a seriously split personality. I'll make a cluedo-esque prediction about him though.

Jaime, with The Strangler, in the remains of the throne room. 

Too obvious for Tyrion to be the Valonquar, he's got too much open enmity with Cersei and Jaime is no longer capable of fulfilling that prophecy in the most literal sense. So I think he's going to feed her the same poison that killed Biebward.

Actually he is. I'll give you the rundown, if you're interested. I'm not betting on Jaime as the valonqar, but it is possible.

Welcome to the boards. Sorry I missed your thread until now.

Sansa will grow on you. And I can say that as someone who had a lot of trouble reading her early chapters. She does start growing up, and doing better, and then she's less of an annoying little brat.

Not sure why all you dislike Catelyn, but I will say that the author and Ran (who runs this site, helps GRRM keep details straight, and co-wrote TWOIAF) say that she is one of the most misunderstood characters in the series, perhaps the most misunderstood. She's not as bad as a lot of people think, but I don't think she's anybody's favorite either.

Robb. Poor, poor Robb. If we'd only gotten a POV we could have known and loved him so much better. He suffers for the lack, as do we.

I think all the Targ-like things and hints about Tyrion are red herrings, and that it's all in there for when he shows up on a dragon and people start treating him differently, as well as some fun identity crisis for him, because of the mistaken belief that only those with Targaryen blood can ride dragons. Power resides where men believe it resides.

Valar more-post-us. :cheers:

2 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Actually he is. I'll give you the rundown, if you're interested. I'm not betting on Jaime as the valonqar, but it is possible.

Welcome to the boards. Sorry I missed your thread until now.

Sansa will grow on you. And I can say that as someone who had a lot of trouble reading her early chapters. She does start growing up, and doing better, and then she's less of an annoying little brat.

Not sure why all you dislike Catelyn, but I will say that the author and Ran (who runs this site, helps GRRM keep details straight, and co-wrote TWOIAF) say that she is one of the most misunderstood characters in the series, perhaps the most misunderstood. She's not as bad as a lot of people think, but I don't think she's anybody's favorite either.

Robb. Poor, poor Robb. If we'd only gotten a POV we could have known and loved him so much better. He suffers for the lack, as do we.

I think all the Targ-like things and hints about Tyrion are red herrings, and that it's all in there for when he shows up on a dragon and people start treating him differently, as well as some fun identity crisis for him, because of the mistaken belief that only those with Targaryen blood can ride dragons. Power resides where men believe it resides.

Valar more-post-us. :cheers:

Hmmm. Short of using his metal hand (which looks soooooo fake in the series - it's about four glove sizes bigger than his other hand, making it obvious it's a metal "glove") to crush Cersei's windpipe, I don't see how he could. Tyrion.... hmmm, red herring I suspect. Too bloody obvious with the prophecy's word meaning "lesser sibling".

Sansa stops irritating me quite so much once she stops being a whiny, selfish, brat with a head emptier than Varys's underpants. 

Catelyn was stupid and spiteful and ****ed up innocent people's lives (Tyrion's mainly) because of both. And if I needed motivation to hate her rather than simply disliking her, I've got two words for ya....

Lady.

Stoneheart.

I would quite happily cut her dumb, pig-ignorant, spiteful head off what remains of her shoulders and feed her remains to a swine farm. At least that way she might do some good in the world.

I hope they're red herrings. Tyrion is cool enough without needing to be a closet Targaryen. 

1 hour ago, King in t'North said:

Hmmm. Short of using his metal hand (which looks soooooo fake in the series - it's about four glove sizes bigger than his other hand, making it obvious it's a metal "glove") to crush Cersei's windpipe, I don't see how he could. Tyrion.... hmmm, red herring I suspect. Too bloody obvious with the prophecy's word meaning "lesser sibling".

Sansa stops irritating me quite so much once she stops being a whiny, selfish, brat with a head emptier than Varys's underpants. 

Catelyn was stupid and spiteful and ****ed up innocent people's lives (Tyrion's mainly) because of both. And if I needed motivation to hate her rather than simply disliking her, I've got two words for ya....

Lady.

Stoneheart.

I would quite happily cut her dumb, pig-ignorant, spiteful head off what remains of her shoulders and feed her remains to a swine farm. At least that way she might do some good in the world.

I hope they're red herrings. Tyrion is cool enough without needing to be a closet Targaryen. 

Where did you get the meaning "lesser sibling" for valonqar? It means younger brother.

2 hours ago, King in t'North said:

Lady.

Stoneheart.

Remember how Cersei's wanted Jaime to be Hand of the King since the first book? And remember how that chain of golden hands was made? "...the valonqar shall wrap his hands around your pale, white throat, and choke the life from you." If Jaime is made Hand, that chain will be his, thus "his hands." Cool, huh?

Same on Sansa. Once she gets out of KL and starts learning, she gets better.

Cat wasn't all that spiteful. I'll grant you stupid. She was never in the running for the Westerosi chapter of MENSA, if they'd had one. She didn't **** up Tyrion's life. It was already ****ed up. And if she hadn't arrested him, he wouldn't have found Bronn or figured out that Joffrey ordered the hit on Bran. Cat lets her emotions rule her, which causes problems, but she's not a bad person.

Lady Stoneheart isn't Cat. LS is what happens when you bring back someone who has been dead too long, as Thoros tried to warn Beric. They aren't the same. Even Beric wasn't the same the sixth time as he'd been the first time he was brought back. Messing with death comes at a price. Cat would not be as bad as LS. I'm starting to agree with the theory that Arya is going to kill her, which will be sad but I think she'll recognize that the undead creature before her is not her mother. A tear will slip down her cheek and she'll whisper valar morghulis (and then hopefully burn the body).

I agree. Tyrion doesn't need Targ blood.

9 hours ago, bent branch said:

Where did you get the meaning "lesser sibling" for valonqar? It means younger brother.

In High Valyrian there are no gender-based nouns. Like dragons themselves, which swap gender as needed (like Jurassic Park tree frogs) Valyrians simply used "brother" to describe all siblings. (If you grok what I mean. ;) All my Robert Heinlein water brothers out there say "HOOOOOO!")

The medieval setting kind of helped this, as despite people like Brienne, there is a strong feeling of patronising patriarchy and so the idea that it could mean sister as well disappeared outside of Valyria and its colonies. This is why Master Aemon (at the Wall) came to the conclusion that Azor Ahai was Dany, because in High Valyrian "The Prince That Was Promised" could just as easily mean "The Princess That Was Promised".

Lesser = younger = smaller. Lots of connotations inside of one word. Valyria resembles Ancient Rome more than it does Atlantis. High Valyrian's modelling on Latin as a language is quite intriguing. Observe.... 

Taken in the context of "lesser", the prophecy seems to plump even more squarely for Tyrion, but George is way too cunning to be that obvious. "Younger" is probably the intended meaning, which also qualifies Jaime, as Cersei was born ten or fifteen minutes before him. Given the events of the TV series, considering Jaime's most deep emotional experiences with Aerys II (which were also developed over thousands of pages, like a slowly growing giant redwood tree), she couldn't have pressed his sorocide button more firmly, could she?As a ruler, she's a drivelling incompetent and always has been, like her chinless, idiot sons, so she ain't gonna last long on the Iron Throne. And if a major character like her is going to bite the dust, it's going to be in the most dramatic way possible. And we already know George's habit of planting deep shit in seemingly innocuous ways. Remember Tyrion and Jaime talking in the cell on the morning of the battle between the Mountain and the Viper? They discussed the words for killing brothers, fathers, children, mothers but couldn't think of one for cousin. No-one seems to have noticed that they didn't even think of mentioning one for sisters.

10 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Remember how Cersei's wanted Jaime to be Hand of the King since the first book? And remember how that chain of golden hands was made? "...the valonqar shall wrap his hands around your pale, white throat, and choke the life from you." If Jaime is made Hand, that chain will be his, thus "his hands." Cool, huh?

Same on Sansa. Once she gets out of KL and starts learning, she gets better.

Cat wasn't all that spiteful. I'll grant you stupid. She was never in the running for the Westerosi chapter of MENSA, if they'd had one. She didn't **** up Tyrion's life. It was already ****ed up. And if she hadn't arrested him, he wouldn't have found Bronn or figured out that Joffrey ordered the hit on Bran. Cat lets her emotions rule her, which causes problems, but she's not a bad person.

Lady Stoneheart isn't Cat. LS is what happens when you bring back someone who has been dead too long, as Thoros tried to warn Beric. They aren't the same. Even Beric wasn't the same the sixth time as he'd been the first time he was brought back. Messing with death comes at a price. Cat would not be as bad as LS. I'm starting to agree with the theory that Arya is going to kill her, which will be sad but I think she'll recognize that the undead creature before her is not her mother. A tear will slip down her cheek and she'll whisper valar morghulis (and then hopefully burn the body).

I agree. Tyrion doesn't need Targ blood.

1/ Could well be. I interpreted it as a symbolic description of using the Strangler poison, which has been firmly established in our minds during the Purple Wedding. But it could also be your way. Or he might drop his gold hand on her windpipe from a hundred feet up. Devil's in the detail, isn't it?

2/ I found it immeasurably hard to feel any sympathy for Sansa. She was the author of her own, gormless misery. This is especially so in the books, but also the TV series. (And if anyone else has a problem with me mentioning the existence of the TV series on this board, then **** you and **** your priggish sensitivity, you pecksniffian arseholes.) Having said that, she goes through less punishment in the books, as she doesn't even meet Ramsey "Sperm of the Devil" Snow at all. That guy has to be the BEST hammy, over-the top-evil-for-the-effing-fun-of-it villain in a TV series since Obadiah Hakeswill in Sharpe.

3/ She was stupid, selfish, childish and as irresponsible as Robb proved to be. (Without Robb's natural desire to try and set things right and correct his mistakes.) She quite thoughtlessly plunged an entire continent and millions of people into a needless war because she was a )  stupid enough to instantly and unquestioningly believe Petyr Baelish - a man so obviously the Machiavellian villain that he might as well have "PRIZE SHIT" tattooed across his ****ing forehead - , b ) selfish enough to thoughtlessly **** all these people over entirely for the sake of one  comatose person (Brann) and c )  irresponsible enough to do all this on "evidence" that wouldn't even convince a medieval court. That is to say, none. Even the person who told her the dagger had once been his wasn't there to give evidence to this effect and hearsay didn't cut any ice centuries ago either. (Unless you were a religious moron who lived in Salem.)

Seriously, were it not for the fact that the judge was a mentally ill special needs case with a mother who was even moreso, there would have been no chance in seven hells of convicting him and at that time, Cat had no way of knowing that her sister was batshit crazy and liable to be biased against Lannisters in general when she made the arrest.

4/ I hope Arya does kill her. I hope someone does. For all I care, I hope Nymeria eats her and then fertilises a turnip field with her in dung form. What the hell was Dondarion thinking?!

If it hasn't shown through by now (could someone please pass me a crowbar so I can get this tongue out of my cheek?) I have a REAL problem with people who let their weaknesses inflict suffering on good people. It brings out my most judgemental side and makes me say fuck and bastard a lot. If I were a Westerossi god, I'd be reserving what's left of her soul for a spot in the hottest part of the seven hells for what she did to Brienne and Pod. (Among others, probably.) 

Anyway, pleased to meet you Lady BB. :)

7 hours ago, King in t'North said:

1/ Could well be. I interpreted it as a symbolic description of using the Strangler poison, which has been firmly established in our minds during the Purple Wedding. But it could also be your way. Or he might drop his gold hand on her windpipe from a hundred feet up. Devil's in the detail, isn't it?

2/ I found it immeasurably hard to feel any sympathy for Sansa. She was the author of her own, gormless misery. This is especially so in the books, but also the TV series. (And if anyone else has a problem with me mentioning the existence of the TV series on this board, then **** you and **** your priggish sensitivity, you pecksniffian arseholes.) Having said that, she goes through less punishment in the books, as she doesn't even meet Ramsey "Sperm of the Devil" Snow at all. That guy has to be the BEST hammy, over-the top-evil-for-the-effing-fun-of-it villain in a TV series since Obadiah Hakeswill in Sharpe.

3/ She was stupid, selfish, childish and as irresponsible as Robb proved to be. (Without Robb's natural desire to try and set things right and correct his mistakes.) She quite thoughtlessly plunged an entire continent and millions of people into a needless war because she was a )  stupid enough to instantly and unquestioningly believe Petyr Baelish - a man so obviously the Machiavellian villain that he might as well have "PRIZE SHIT" tattooed across his ****ing forehead - , b ) selfish enough to thoughtlessly **** all these people over entirely for the sake of one  comatose person (Brann) and c )  irresponsible enough to do all this on "evidence" that wouldn't even convince a medieval court. That is to say, none. Even the person who told her the dagger had once been his wasn't there to give evidence to this effect and hearsay didn't cut any ice centuries ago either. (Unless you were a religious moron who lived in Salem.)

Seriously, were it not for the fact that the judge was a mentally ill special needs case with a mother who was even moreso, there would have been no chance in seven hells of convicting him and at that time, Cat had no way of knowing that her sister was batshit crazy and liable to be biased against Lannisters in general when she made the arrest.

4/ I hope Arya does kill her. I hope someone does. For all I care, I hope Nymeria eats her and then fertilises a turnip field with her in dung form. What the hell was Dondarion thinking?!

If it hasn't shown through by now (could someone please pass me a crowbar so I can get this tongue out of my cheek?) I have a REAL problem with people who let their weaknesses inflict suffering on good people. It brings out my most judgemental side and makes me say fuck and bastard a lot. If I were a Westerossi god, I'd be reserving what's left of her soul for a spot in the hottest part of the seven hells for what she did to Brienne and Pod. (Among others, probably.) 

Anyway, pleased to meet you Lady BB. :)

Pleased to meet you as well ser! But you might want to be careful about telling off those who don't want the show being discussed on the book forums, as that would be the people who run the site and made the rule about it discussed here. However, since you did not actually discuss it or give spoilers, one would hope you have stayed just close enough inside the rules that you're good.

1. Yeah. It depends on how literal it all is. If he is really going to wrap hands around her throat then it can't be the strangler. But there are plenty of younger brothers in the series who wouldn't mind killing Cersei with their bare hands. That reminds me, have you heard/read about the wighted Tommen as valonqar idea? At the moment I'm thinking a wighted Stannis would be more fun. :D

2. Same here. But as she gains some sense she annoys me less.

3. She was being emotional instead of rational but she did not cause the war. That one can be laid on anyone from Ned, to Renly, to Cersei, to Robert even, and certainly Joffrey. The war wouldn't have happened if Jon Arryn, Stannis, and Ned hadn't found out about the twincest. They wouldn't have found out if Cersei had at least one child by Robert. Cersei might have given Robert a chance if he hadn't called her Lyanna on their wedding night. If Joff hadn't been such a little (bleep) Ned wouldn't have been killed. Stannis had legitimate cause to fight, and Robb sort of did. Renly and Balon however just wanted crowns. None of that is Cat's fault. But like I said, she isn't anybody's favorite character either way.

4. Dondarrion wanted to save Ned's lady wife, because he couldn't save Ned, nor could he accomplish what Ned sent him to do. Also he was pretty tired of getting brought back again so there may have been some of that involved. LS will end up dead (redead?) but I don't want Nymeria to eat human flesh if she can avoid it. It's one thing for her and Chekov's Pack to kill people and another to eat them. 

9 hours ago, King in t'North said:

In High Valyrian there are no gender-based nouns. Like dragons themselves, which swap gender as needed (like Jurassic Park tree frogs) Valyrians simply used "brother" to describe all siblings. (If you grok what I mean. ;) All my Robert Heinlein water brothers out there say "HOOOOOO!")

The medieval setting kind of helped this, as despite people like Brienne, there is a strong feeling of patronising patriarchy and so the idea that it could mean sister as well disappeared outside of Valyria and its colonies. This is why Master Aemon (at the Wall) came to the conclusion that Azor Ahai was Dany, because in High Valyrian "The Prince That Was Promised" could just as easily mean "The Princess That Was Promised".

Lesser = younger = smaller. Lots of connotations inside of one word. Valyria resembles Ancient Rome more than it does Atlantis. High Valyrian's modelling on Latin as a language is quite intriguing. Observe.... 

Taken in the context of "lesser", the prophecy seems to plump even more squarely for Tyrion, but George is way too cunning to be that obvious. "Younger" is probably the intended meaning, which also qualifies Jaime, as Cersei was born ten or fifteen minutes before him. Given the events of the TV series, considering Jaime's most deep emotional experiences with Aerys II (which were also developed over thousands of pages, like a slowly growing giant redwood tree), she couldn't have pressed his sorocide button more firmly, could she?As a ruler, she's a drivelling incompetent and always has been, like her chinless, idiot sons, so she ain't gonna last long on the Iron Throne. And if a major character like her is going to bite the dust, it's going to be in the most dramatic way possible. And we already know George's habit of planting deep shit in seemingly innocuous ways. Remember Tyrion and Jaime talking in the cell on the morning of the battle between the Mountain and the Viper? They discussed the words for killing brothers, fathers, children, mothers but couldn't think of one for cousin. No-one seems to have noticed that they didn't even think of mentioning one for sisters.

Actually no. Valyrian is not genderless. It is dragons that are of first one gender, than the other. This is what Aemon said and meant when he was traveling to Oldtown with Sam.

5 hours ago, bent branch said:

Actually no. Valyrian is not genderless. It is dragons that are of first one gender, than the other. This is what Aemon said and meant when he was traveling to Oldtown with Sam.

That's correct. The Valyrian word for dragon is gender neutral, not the language as a whole.

Also while I've seen others mention Latin as a basis for Valyrian, the pronunciation is actually more like Old English.

On 16/03/2017 at 6:09 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

On 16/03/2017 at 6:09 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Pleased to meet you as well ser! But you might want to be careful about telling off those who don't want the show being discussed on the book forums, as that would be the people who run the site and made the rule about it discussed here. However, since you did not actually discuss it or give spoilers, one would hope you have stayed just close enough inside the rules that you're good.

1. Yeah. It depends on how literal it all is. If he is really going to wrap hands around her throat then it can't be the strangler. But there are plenty of younger brothers in the series who wouldn't mind killing Cersei with their bare hands. That reminds me, have you heard/read about the wighted Tommen as valonqar idea? At the moment I'm thinking a wighted Stannis would be more fun. :D

2. Same here. But as she gains some sense she annoys me less.

3. She was being emotional instead of rational but she did not cause the war. That one can be laid on anyone from Ned, to Renly, to Cersei, to Robert even, and certainly Joffrey. The war wouldn't have happened if Jon Arryn, Stannis, and Ned hadn't found out about the twincest. They wouldn't have found out if Cersei had at least one child by Robert. Cersei might have given Robert a chance if he hadn't called her Lyanna on their wedding night. If Joff hadn't been such a little (bleep) Ned wouldn't have been killed. Stannis had legitimate cause to fight, and Robb sort of did. Renly and Balon however just wanted crowns. None of that is Cat's fault. But like I said, she isn't anybody's favorite character either way.

4. Dondarrion wanted to save Ned's lady wife, because he couldn't save Ned, nor could he accomplish what Ned sent him to do. Also he was pretty tired of getting brought back again so there may have been some of that involved. LS will end up dead (redead?) but I don't want Nymeria to eat human flesh if she can avoid it. It's one thing for her and Chekov's Pack to kill people and another to eat them. 

1/ #IDGAF :D I didn't go into detail, I merely mentioned its existence. And it got yanked with no notification and subsequent enquiries by me have gone ignored. I don't care if I offend them at this point. Let them swing the +5 Vorpal Valeryian Steel Greatsword of Mod Thwappage. I've walked out of far more important things.

2/ Ditto.

3/ As a result of her arrest of Tyrion, Tywin Lannister caused the Riverlands to be raided by The Mountain, which resulted in Ned ordering his arrest and execution and triggered his subsequent assault by Jaime and his men. This was all before Ned discovered the Twincest and before he passed said knowledge to Stannis and John Arryn was safely dead and not capable of triggering anything. I shouldn't take the blame off of Baelish, but he at least was acting deliberately. He's the villain after all. Cat was just a braindead woman who thought she actually knew something and caused war and hardship for squillions because she didn't have the brain cells to plan ahead or do anything remotely approaching a satisfactory investigation.

Baelish was the deliberate plotter of it all; Robert was the inept tosser who let it happen because he was a useless lazy bastard of a king; Cersei was quite happy to plant the seeds for it with her incest, treason and manslaughter/murder. All these people bear more moral responsibility for it than Cat, but her lack of cerebral activity allowed her to be used as the trigger for it. I think that's why I dislike her so much. She wasn't even trying to be evil at the time, but she wasn't clever enough to stop being used for it.

4/ I don't wish Nymeria to be tainted, bless her furry bum. I just want LS to be as defiled as it's possible to be, because she's a scumbag who deserves it. Brienne is possibly the only character in the books who is as pure white as Ned Stark and Barristan Selmy and she treated her like she'd found Jack the Ripper.

God, I am such a miserable sod..... :P  I do hope you don't take any of it as being intended for you. :)

Archived