John Gwynne vs Luke Scull vs. .... ? Help me find something new to read.

Shinrei

Hi everyone,

So i am on the look out for some new fantasy series that can capture my interest.

At the moment i am looking at John Gwynne and Luke Scull. But i am open for more suggestions if you want to make some.

Here are some pointers as to what my reading-taste looks like:

• Malazan Book of the Fallen / Kharkanas - Steven Erikson
  • Prince of Nothing / Aspect Emperor - R. Scott Bakker
  • Sun Sword - Michelle West
  • Song of Ice and Fire - GRRM
  • Twelve Kings in Sharakai - Bradley P. Beaulieu
  • First Law - Joe Abercrombie
  • The Tiger and the Wolf - Adrian Tchaikovsky

I normally like deep world-building (and i think the first three series have that in spades) and i am also a fan of darker fantasy. I do like it when an author also has a way with words (i know, that is a very subjective thing but for me i like the styles of Erikson/Bakker/West a lot. They know how to paint a picture with their words).

As i said, i am looking at Gwynne and Skull. Can you contrast and compare them with each other (and against my list)? Again, if you feel there is a series i should consider, feel free to name it.

One thing to mention - I do not like first-person narratives. Just can't get into them. That is why, so far, i have not tried Mark Lawrence, for example, although i hear a lot of good things about him (i do think his next work is not in that style so i will give him a try then).

Thanks for your help!

I enjoyed the first two volumes of Luke Scull's Grim Company series, but I wasn't quite as fond of book 3.  YMMV.

Best balance of Character/Action/Prose:  Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch (Series not complete however).

A completed series that delivers on almost all levels: Dagger & Coin by Daniel Abraham.  5 books, all solid, dark at times, amazing characters.

Hope this helps...

@ Spassvogel - thanks for the recs. I think i have the first of Lynch's books around. And Abraham did a great job with the Long Price series, so i will look into it.

@ Darth Richard II - To each their own, i say. Now, how about a useful contribution to the thread?

I really liked John Gywnne's series. The best way I can describe it is "YA David Gemmell." It's a fun series with some great action scenes... but the world building is only serviceable if that's really important to you.

Luke Scull's trilogy is ok. If you like Abercrombie then you'll probably at least find it worth a read.

A series I'm reading right now is "Inda" by Sherwood Smith. It has solid world building and it's pretty epic in scope. It might be something that you'd at least want to look at based on your tastes.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh well if you want to go down that route, Robert Stanek is right up your alley.

Really? So all you can do is thread-crap and snark. Or are you really liking him? I guess you're a Paolini fan as well, huh?

@mgambino - thanks for the assessment. I like Gemmell. Not sure i'm up for YA stuff. Abercrombie is indeed quite nice. And i have read some chapters into Inda. Maybe i'll have to revisit. It did strike me as YA as well.

@ WCG - Thanks, i will look into it. I heard about Wheeler, never heard about Kade.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Quote for relevance:

Q: Why is everyone here so mean?

A: Well, this board has existed for well over a decade, so the regulars here have seen a lot of threads go by and are sick of being treated like people's personal recommendation algorithm hivemind. If you want to have a discussion, make sure you are really clear and not demanding in your request for recommendations thread. If you want to just make a list of books you liked and then have something guess what you should read next, try the bots at Amazon/Goodreads. Also, your local librarian. They're pretty smart. If you can't decide what to read next, try the time-honored tradition of choosing one at random and reading it to see if you like it.

I'd definitely recommend Gwynne's Faithful and the Fallen. Epic fantasy with a Celtic flavour. Lovely.

Archived