US Politics: Spicey Onion Indigestion in the Age of Trump

Larry of the Lawn

1 hour ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I take back everything I said about playing fair/nice.

GOP suspends Senate rule to pass through nominations

How can they simply suspend any rule that they don't like?

Fuck them. This makes it all out war

meh, if Dems think they can prevent votes by simply not showing up, that's not going to happen

there's nothing that says these nominees even need to go through committee

the only power they have is stalling the inevitable for a few days, a meaningless exercise of impotent rage

who pays this guy's salary?

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Mike Pence is something relatively new in American religious history -- someone who calls himself both a Roman Catholic (which is how he was raised) and an Evangelical. I cannot find on short notice any statements from him on what he believes about the "end times."  Certainly his anti-gay and anti-abortion stances fit right wing Catholicism as much as they do right wing Evangelical Protestantism -- but beliefs about the "end times" would be one of the issues on which those two groups still disagree. So without further information, I am way more worried about Steve Bannon's secular belief in the necessity of a major crisis which smashes the present system, probably including the equivalent of World War III.

time.com/4575780/stephen-bannon-fourth-turning/

I tried to research what it is that Pence actually believes in, but the guy has been very circumspect in that regard. I started when a friend of mine, knowing he was an evangelical, kept saying Americans who could vote for someone who believes the world is 6,000 years old deserve what they get. Pence simply does not talk about it.

There is no such thing as an Evangelical Roman Catholic. Either you're a Catholic and go to mass and your religious leader is the Pope, or you are the follower of another religion. For crying out loud, there is a widely held belief (confirmed both by friends of mine who are evangelicals and by many articles on the internet) among evangelicals that Catholics aren't even Christians.

3 minutes ago, Commodore said:

meh, if Dems think they can prevent votes by simply not showing up, that's not going to happen

there's nothing that says these nominees even need to go through committee

the only power they have is stalling the inevitable for a few days, a meaningless exercise of impotent rage

Had a little time to think about while eating lunch.

I'm ok with this, because one day the Dems will be the majority and this will come back to bite the Repubs on the ass, and I can't wait.

55 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

But what battle could it possibly be that they could win?  Republicans literally don't care about anything reasonable.  They don't care about corruption or ethics or their children's future.  They don't care about sexual assault or mocking the disabled.  They don't care about health care or education.  The list goes on forever.  What is there left that could possibly bloody the noses of the GOP when there's nothing their base cares about so long as it comes from a Republican?  The base is so far gone that all a GOP member would have to do is say "But that Democrat has a private email and oh look at that over there and by the way god has forgiven me so let's just move on."

If the Republicans kill the filibuster, which is likely going to happen, and vote in unison, none. 

49 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Not all the outrageous crap is coming from the federal level:

Republicans at the state levels are pushing anti-protest laws

They scream bloody murder at the slightest hint of firearm regulations, but what to get rid of a major part of the 1st Amendment (more than one part of it really)

I expect this to happen at the national level soon too. 

21 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I'm ok with this, because one day the Dems will be the majority and this will come back to bite the Repubs on the ass, and I can't wait.

And if the Republicans past a federal voting rights restriction law? I've got a bad feeling about what's about to take place here in the next few months. 

22 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Had a little time to think about while eating lunch.

i wish I was as optimistic as you are. But sadly, I'm in Jaxom's camp...

I would feel much better about the current situation if Trump would act for five seconds with one part of humility or deference.  We are probably going to look back on his court pick as one of the high points of his administration. 

Oh who the fuck am I kidding its Trump

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If the Republicans kill the filibuster, which is likely going to happen, and vote in unison, none. 

And if the Republicans past a federal voting rights restriction law? I've got a bad feeling about what's about to take place here in the next few months. 

I also think they may try it at the national level :( 

yes, that would be very bad. I was only referring to the rules change. (I'm really not ok with it, but I need to find some positive so I can focus on work)

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I get the point you guys are making and I agree with it in principle. Just not sure what they end up accomplishing. We'll see.

It will help get their base out in 2018.  The Dems need to motivate young, apathetic, and disenfranchised voters to get to the voting booth.  Congressional Dems need to let voters know that they are NOT okay with what's going on and they need be seen fighting this fuckery.  

1 hour ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Not all the outrageous crap is coming from the federal level:

Republicans at the state levels are pushing anti-protest laws

They scream bloody murder at the slightest hint of firearm regulations, but what to get rid of a major part of the 1st Amendment (more than one part of it really)

We should all scream bloody murder about this attempt to infringe upon the right to freely assemble!

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I tried to research what it is that Pence actually believes in, but the guy has been very circumspect in that regard. I started when a friend of mine, knowing he was an evangelical, kept saying Americans who could vote for someone who believes the world is 6,000 years old deserve what they get. Pence simply does not talk about it.

There is no such thing as an Evangelical Roman Catholic. Either you're a Catholic and go to mass and your religious leader is the Pope, or you are the follower of another religion. For crying out loud, there is a widely held belief (confirmed both by friends of mine who are evangelicals and by many articles on the internet) among evangelicals that Catholics aren't even Christians.

Could he be an Opus Dei Catholic who rejects Vatican II?

9 hours ago, mormont said:

The alt-right?

I suppose you might deny that the alt-right is a radical Christian group, although they themselves talk frequently about Christianity, albeit as more of a cultural reference than a religious one. But OK, we can admit that and go on to call such people 'alt-right terrorists' or 'radical right-wing terrorists' if you prefer.

So all white terrorists belong to the alt right?

Um.. OK?

6 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

You're not "familiar enough" with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention? Just what do you think their name implies about their activities? 

Context is your friend.

"Not familiar enough to answer a question specifically about their funding levels and whether they are appropriate' is in no way shape or form the same as 'I've never heard of the CDC.'

I know it's a mostly foreign concept on this board to admit that you are not an expert on everything, but I'm giving you full disclosure, I'm not an expert on the CDC.  I don't know why you find that admission so objectionable?

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

You can only be so hard nosed. I mean, Dems don't have any power here.

The cry can never, ever be, 'can't win, don't fight'. I know that's not what you're saying, but that's how Trump et al would read it if the Dems decided not to oppose things because they don't have the power to stop them. And a sizable portion of the Democratic base would read it that way too. Which leads to the Republicans feeling emboldened and the Democrat voters feeling demotivated.

When you have no power, that's the time it's best to show backbone, because otherwise people will walk all over you.

2 hours ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

I wish we would stop normalizing and legitimatizing them.  Call them Fascists or Nazis, or even add the prefix, "neo." if you're uncomfortable in being so blunt  "Alt-right" was invented by them to disguise what they are.

I 100% agree. But in that context, the thing is to find a term that those people would be prepared to identify with publicly, to be a parallel to 'Muslim'. I'm happy to call those people 'neo-Nazi terrorists' but to some degree that gives the people radicalising them an 'out': they can simply deny being a neo-Nazi.

3 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

How can they simply suspend any rule that they don't like?

Why do you feel so strongly about this? The rules are a jumble of historical artifacts that have piled up over the centuries. There is nothing sacred about them and at this point they mainly serve to impede the work of government and give individual Senators powers that the Constitution never authorized for them. In my opinion, all of the obstructionist rules (including even the filibuster) should be eliminated and we should go back to the Senate being controlled by a simple majority except for the topics for which a supermajority is specified by the Constitution. Between the bicameral legislature and the split between the three branches, there are enough checks and balances in the system without turning the Senate into this bizarre domain of arcane self-made rules.

1 minute ago, Altherion said:

Why do you feel so strongly about this? The rules are a jumble of historical artifacts that have piled up over the centuries. There is nothing sacred about them and at this point they mainly serve to impede the work of government and give individual Senators powers that the Constitution never authorized for them. In my opinion, all of the obstructionist rules (including even the filibuster) should be eliminated and we should go back to the Senate being controlled by a simple majority except for the topics for which a supermajority is specified by the Constitution. Between the bicameral legislature and the split between the three branches, there are enough checks and balances in the system without turning the Senate into this bizarre domain of arcane self-made rules.

I feel so strongly because all checks and balances are being erased; because they are ignoring the minority party completely.  They have basically taken over complete control, never mind that the other 48% have a right to voice their opinions, questions, concerns and represent half of Americans.

18 minutes ago, mormont said:

I 100% agree. But in that context, the thing is to find a term that those people would be prepared to identify with publicly, to be a parallel to 'Muslim'. I'm happy to call those people 'neo-Nazi terrorists' but to some degree that gives the people radicalising them an 'out': they can simply deny being a neo-Nazi.

I'm reluctant to empower those whose purpose is to harm others, to select the name they are known by.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

a federal voting rights restriction law will be based on Texas' law.

You can only register voters if you attend a class, after which you are only valid to register voters in your county.

Your class is only valid until January 1 of the next even numbered year, then you have to take the class again.

The class is only offered once a month, in one location in a county only accessible by car.

The class has a limited size and no accommodation will be made if there is greater demand than the class' capacity.

If you try to register a voter without adhering to these guidelines it will be a felony and you can be imprisoned.

This is legal in Texas, it will soon be legal nationally, the media will not even notice it happens since it won't affect one iota voting rights, it only restricts the ability of activists to register voters.

Archived