US Politics: Spicey Onion Indigestion in the Age of Trump

Larry of the Lawn

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's true. He'll be looking for a war, his own war, as soon as possible. North Korea are untouchable, and despite the bluster, he can't really touch Iran because Putin won't let him. Mexico will probably be his first victim.

And regarding the changes to the CVE, yeah it's got Bannon's slime all over it. It doesn't matter that it's a relatively small program. The aim here is to embolden every single violent, far-right organization in America.

If I were Trump I would attack Canada instead. All the high earning libruls in California won't relocate to Mexico so taking over Canada means they can't vote against Trump with their feet.

34 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

If I were Trump I would attack Canada instead. All the high earning libruls in California won't relocate to Mexico so taking over Canada means they can't vote against Trump with their feet.

I would think Cuba would be the target of choice. Easy, juicy target. If you're going to go Imperialist, you start in your backyard.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

You think he really gives a fuck? It could be a one for one trade. Cuba for Estonia.

With Cuba about 500 miles from Florida, I suspect he gives quite the fuck.

But yeah, I could see horse-trading over the issue.

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I would think Cuba would be the target of choice. Easy, juicy target. If you're going to go Imperialist, you start in your backyard.

Trump likes to be unpredictable, so maybe Australia. His call with the Australian PM is also being described as rancorous and I believe he has had a dispute with Australian model Jennifer Hawkins in the past.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/no-gday-mate-on-call-with-australian-pm-trump-badgers-and-brags/2017/02/01/88a3bfb0-e8bf-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.49294477cfc3

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

With Cuba about 500 miles from Florida, I suspect he gives quite the fuck.

But yeah, I could see horse-trading over the issue.

Cuba's a wee bit closer than 500 miles.

Cuba is also not super in the orbit of Russia any more, and hasn't been for about 20 years.

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Cuba's a wee bit closer than 500 miles.

Cuba is also not super in the orbit of Russia any more, and hasn't been for about 20 years.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I was gonna say. I think that relationship has changed pretty drastically since the fall of the Soviet Union.

Ah, okay then. Cuba it is! 

The Nation has a leaked copy of the proposed Religious Freedom Order.  It's pretty bad.  Would be nice to hope that this was just another leak to test out public opinion, but considering this was a campaign promise and one of the two reasons Pence signed on and brought his god crew with him, I trust that we'll be seeing it soon.  

I don't know about Pence's religion other than he's very conservative in his religion.  His record as gov of Indiana is available and could offer some insight.

Pence made national headlines in early 2015 when he signed into law the “Religious Freedom Restoration Act,”  - See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/mike-pence-governor-indiana-record-meteoric-rise-controversial-political-past#sthash.EiGn4nuG.dpuf   Of course, this is a terrible law aimed at hurting the LBGT+ communities

also; Pence raised eyebrows once more in 2015 after The Indianapolis Star discovered his intentions to create a news bureau — called “JustIN” — overseen by his administration, and to hire a “managing editor” to assist in the production of “news stories.”   Despite quickly abandoning the plan, Pence’s project set the media world ablaze, and drew comparisons to government-backed news outlets in communist countries.- See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/mike-pence-governor-indiana-record-meteoric-rise-controversial-political-past#sthash.EiGn4nuG.dpuf

moar;  In the second half of his term, he caught flack for his efforts to stop the resettlement of Syrian refugees in Indiana (which were eventually rebuffed by two separate federal judges), for his support for legislation that limited abortions, and for attempting to curb the power of his state’s publicly elected superintendent of public instruction, Democrat Glenda Ritz. - See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/mike-pence-governor-indiana-record-meteoric-rise-controversial-political-past#sthash.EiGn4nuG.dpuf 

plus this;  He also helped the state repeal national education standards called Common Core, which excited his party, but was eventually seen as a letdown when he replaced them with nearly identical standards. - See more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/mike-pence-governor-indiana-record-meteoric-rise-controversial-political-past#sthash.EiGn4nuG.dpuf

this bit of horrorshow from Snopes;  The law, which was passed by the Republican-heavy state legislature, does require that aborted or miscarried fetuses be buried or cremated. It also requires that women involved in these cases be given the chance to decide how this is carried out. The measure also bans women from donating the material toward medical research. Pence said when he signed HEA 1337 into law that it would "ensure the dignified final treatment of the unborn." However, it was quickly challenged in court by the American Civil Liberties Union and Planned Parenthood of Indiana. On 30 June 2016, U.S. District Judge Tanya Walton Pratt suspended the law a day before it was slated to take effect.

from BillMoyers.com  :  Unlike the formerly pro-choice Trump, Pence, an evangelical Christian, has long been against abortion rights. This past March, Gov. Pence signed a measure “prohibiting women from obtaining an abortion because of the race, gender, or disability of the fetus.” Indiana is the second state in the nation to implement such laws. While in Washington, Pence pushed for defunding Planned Parenthood and as governor slashed funding of clinics that provided STD testing, which led to an outbreak of HIV, Mother Jones reports.

and on the ACA, well......Pence pushed the program in a more conservative direction than any other governor who implemented Medicaid expansion, making Indiana a model for other red states — while also upsetting many conservatives who saw the move as a betrayal.

“Medicaid expansion proponents are satisfied with covering a vulnerable population with a program that is so deeply flawed. But I’m not,” Pence said in a May 2014 speech unveiling his plan at the conservative American Enterprise Institute. “Fortunately, Hoosiers have found a better way.”

Indiana’s rules for Medicaid expansion borrowed on ideas circulating in conservative policy realms for years. Indiana is the only state that is allowed to kick some low-income adults off their Medicaid coverage for six months if they don't pay premiums, and the program is based around health savings accounts favored by conservative health wonks.

Yeah, he's a peach

Good for her.

Jenna Bush Hager channeled her father's words — uttered in a unifying speech after Sept. 11 — in urging "acceptance and love" after President Donald Trump's immigration ban.

On Tuesday, days after Trump's executive order temporarily banning immigrants from seven majority Muslim countries, the former first daughter of President George W. Bush tweeted an excerpt from the speech with the words, "just a reminder this am to teach acceptance and love to our kids for all races, all religions."

Archived