US Politics: Spicey Onion Indigestion in the Age of Trump

Larry of the Lawn

18 minutes ago, chairman lmao said:

i heard the australian phone call went so bad because trump actually spoke to brady and he called him a bleedin drongo

We don't say bleedin.  The correct phrase is "bloody drongo".

And if Trump spoke to Brady, Trump would have learned some humility.

16 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Well, I always knew he was a jackass, but jeez. Thanks for putting this all together on one page. Definitely will be a handy reference.

Thanks, I had heard about some of this stuff, but the 'JustIn' news bureau idea something I hadn't heard and well, can't you just see Bannon really liking that Pence thought up that idea?  His attempt to stop resettlement of Syrian refugees I didn't know, but so Christian like, well, for a specific caliber of Christian I guess.  Another attribute for the Shit Stain and his evil sidekick to admire.

So, for a bit of politics outside of Washington, I'm curious what people who favored violence by the left as long as it was against acceptable targets think of this story:

A speech by conservative firebrand and British writer Milo Yiannopoulos was canceled at UC Berkeley on Wednesday amid violent protest on campus that sparked at least one fire.

Police clashed with protesters, and much of the university was placed on lockdown. Campus police were ordering protesters to leave the area, but many were refusing.

On his Facebook page, Yiannopoulos said that “violent left-wing protesters” had broken into a building’s ground floor, ripped down barricades and threw rocks.

“My team and I are safe. But the event has been cancelled,” Yiannopoulous said.

In characteristic fashion, he pointed to the mayhem on campus to highlight his agenda: “One thing we do know for sure: the Left is absolutely terrified of free speech and will do literally anything to shut it down.”

Might it be worth it for Republicans to try tying the Democrats to the masked protesters punching people (as in the Spencer case) or starting fires (as in this one)?

It’s Putin’s World
How the Russian president became the ideological hero of nationalists everywhere

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/03/its-putins-world/513848/

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/01/americas-great-divergence/514784/

America’s Great Divergence
A growing earnings gap between those with a college education and those without is creating economic and cultural rifts throughout the country.

5 minutes ago, Altherion said:

So, for a bit of politics outside of Washington, I'm curious what people who favored violence by the left as long as it was against acceptable targets think of this story:

Might it be worth it for Republicans to try tying the Democrats to the masked protesters punching people (as in the Spencer case) or starting fires (as in this one)?

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that this sort of crap is counterproductive at this point. especially when dealing with Yiannopoulous. He's kind of mastered the jiu-jitsu when it comes to these campus protests.

37 minutes ago, Stubby said:

We don't say bleedin.  The correct phrase is "bloody drongo".

And if Trump spoke to Brady, Trump would have learned some humility.

ya know, i thought of that like right after i posted... but by then i had already been quoted. mea culpa. blame the drink

My message is very, very simple: You cannot give up. You cannot give in. You cannot get lost in a sea of despair. You have to be hopeful and optimistic. Keep pushing, keep pulling, keep organizing, keep believing. This too shall pass.

Since the election, I have seen so many people saying, “I don’t know what we’re going to do.” A young woman came up to me and started crying. I told her, “I’ve cried, too.” I cried the night of the election, and for two or three days after that. But I stopped crying. I shed all of the tears that I wanted to shed. We have got to stand up. We have got to fight. Be unafraid. Don’t let anybody or anything get you down.

At the height of the civil rights movement, we were beaten and jailed, but we never lost faith. When we were first arrested, some of us felt free. We felt that we had been liberated. We had been told over and over again, by our mothers and fathers and grandparents, never to ask questions about the signs that said WHITES ONLY and COLORED ONLY. They would say, “That’s the way it is. Don’t get in the way. Don’t get in trouble.” But individuals like Rosa Parks and Dr. King and thousands of others inspired us to get in the way, to get in trouble. We got in what I call “good trouble,” “necessary trouble.” Somehow, we believed that we had the ability to make things better; that we could succeed. I almost died on that bridge in Selma. I thought I saw death. But I never lost that sense of hope.

10 Ways to Take on Trump
WHAT WE CAN DO, FROM CONGRESS TO THE STREETS
BY THE NEW REPUBLIC

https://newrepublic.com/article/140187/10-ways-take-trump-congress-streets

48 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

10 Ways to Take on Trump
WHAT WE CAN DO, FROM CONGRESS TO THE STREETS
BY THE NEW REPUBLIC

https://newrepublic.com/article/140187/10-ways-take-trump-congress-streets

This is a mix of feel-good propaganda (like the part you quoted), bog-standard advice along the lines of "contact your Congressional representatives" and some interesting ideas that may actually change the balance of power... if they were possible. The ones numbered 6 and 7 are particularly interesting:

Beginning in the 1930s, Democrats were the party of the working class. Their vision of social justice involved protections for workers, small businesspeople, family farms, and independent retailers. In the 1970s, however, Democrats decided to adopt a new ideology that viewed Wall Street as useful and efficient, rather than as a threat. They began to allow big business to make important technological and political decisions that affect all of us.

Right now, Democrats are just panicking and whining and saying, “You have to say mean things about Trump on Twitter,” as if that’s a strategy. Instead, you should fight Trump on economic populist grounds. Today, farmers face monopoly power in the form of Bayer, Monsanto, ADM, and Tyson. People in urban areas face other monopolies, but they’re driven by the same concentrated financial power. The ideology of Democrats should be to break up that power.

This would work... but it would require an extraordinary pivot given that only a small fraction of today's Democrats are amenable to populism and both parties have spent decades sowing division based on identity politics.

5 hours ago, Chaircat Meow said:

Trump likes to be unpredictable, so maybe Australia. His call with the Australian PM is also being described as rancorous and I believe he has had a dispute with Australian model Jennifer Hawkins in the past.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/no-gday-mate-on-call-with-australian-pm-trump-badgers-and-brags/2017/02/01/88a3bfb0-e8bf-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.49294477cfc3

And Trump has since tweeted about it too. Apparently it doesnt matter how much you suck up to him, he'll still turn on you and rub your face in the mud if he feels like it.

2 hours ago, Altherion said:

The ctrl + left is at it again.

5 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

What does Ctrl + Left even mean?

It's a play on interpreting Alt-Right as a combination of keyboard keys and labeling the leftist equivalent with a similar moniker. Here's an article about both:

On the opposite economic flank, has sprung the ‘alt-right’’s economic nemeses cum authoritarian bedfellows - an equally vociferous and archaic splinter group of political ilk who also espouse the most stringent of totalitarian beliefs. They have been not so affectionately called the ‘ctrl-left’, a label coined by anti-extremist Maajid Nawaz.

Like the ‘alt-right’, they have capitalised on a niche atmosphere in the public sphere to further their own political aims. The ‘ctrl-left’ profess to deplore socially conservative politics and their propensity to discriminate against ethnic and sexual minorities, yet their purported respect for human life is clumsily contradicted by their alliances.

Their very own ideological haughtiness has created a vacuum where the ‘alt-right’ has gone from strength to strength. The ‘ctrl-left’, instead, continues to call for no platforming, safe spaces, and general censorship of unpleasant views - unaware that this course of action only empowers them.

Read a very interesting article about Bannon's overall ideology recently. Can't remember which one it was (will probably be easy to source as others may have read it too), but it is really, in a nutshell, about a firm belief that the Judeao-Christian West is under an onslaught, and at stake is its very continued existence. And that Europe has largely been made vulnerable by masses of people who are not willing/able to integrate into the traditional society of the West, and as a result end up changing that society.

Certain parts of Belgium being an example that was used. And that once you reach that critical mass, home grown terrorists become an almost impossible threat to eradicate, since you are now dealing with citizens rather than foreign nationals.

And that the broader aim is to prevent the United States from going down the same road as Europe, before it is too late.

Obviously a lot more meat to it than that, but that seems to be one of the core ideas central to his vision. Nothing new, I know, but it was interesting to see it summarized in a single, coherent article.

Archived