Stannis and the Battle of Winterfell

LordMiddleFinger

On 3. 2. 2017 at 7:48 AM, LordMiddleFinger said:

LMFAO! This made my day. BTW i think that Dany "Der Fuhrer" got this technology from Varys in season 6. Her army of 100,000 is sailing towards Westeros on 100-200 ships. 200 ships can carry maybe 30,000 at best! They probably used the Ironborn tech to make more ships... Euron should sue! 

Truth be told, there were many ships, maybe some of them already sailed to Westeros. She knew how many ships were needed, obviously time between her re-taking control of Meereen and Slaver's Bay, Vary arriving and Dany sailing to Westeros was a few weks or months. This is where it gets messy, because they just skip these things for us book readers who likes to nitpick. While show has many flaws but people should enjoy it for what it is. It's not perfect, sometimes illogical but it's supposed to be entertainment and especially an epic fantasy show. You think casual viewers cares about these things. I can sure you that where I come from they don't.

• 2 weeks later...

WOTW post of some dialogue that was not aired from Stannis's final scene:

BRIENNE
In the name of Renly of the House Baratheon, first of his name, rightful King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and protector of the realm, I, Brienne of Tarth, sentence you to die.

[Stannis nods. He’s ready.]

BRIENNE
Do you have any last words?

[Stannis considers.]

STANNIS: Do you believe in the life to come?

[Brienne nods]

STANNIS: I don’t. But if I’m wrong, and you’re right… tell Renly I’m sorry when you get there. I don’t imagine I’ll see him wherever I’m going. (beat) And my daughter. Tell her… tell her…

[‘Sorry’ doesn’t even begin to cover what he feels about Shireen. The thought of it brings tears to his eyes, and he’s not going to die weeping in front of a woman he doesn’t know.

Stannis stares up at her.]

STANNIS: Go on, do your duty.

[Brienne raises her sword and brings it down with a mighty swing.]

http://watchersonthewall.com/excised-dialogue-stannis-death-depicts-raw-emotion/#more-90660

On 2/6/2017 at 0:21 AM, LordMiddleFinger said:

They should've at least tried to make it seem more believable. Back in season 3 or 4 Ser Barristan and Jorah were not even sure if her 8,000 Unsullied and 2,000 Second Sons could fit on her 96 ships she had at the time. Now 200 ships is enough for her 100,000 + Army. Would it be that hard to have someone state that Olenna Tyrell provided Dany with 200-300 ships and "Yara" had like 50 of her own. Dorne had 100 ( yeah i know this would be BS in the books but the show creators don't care about the books anyway ) and the ships she stole from the Masters, idk... 50-100 tops. That's 550 ships ( at best ). Still not nearly enough but i could live with that.

Given the Tyrell and Dornish ships were part of the armada and sailing presumably west, it's reasonable to assume the ships are making multiple trips given they have a sanctuary in Dorne and the Reach to land and host troops in.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:55 PM, TheKitttenGuard said:

WOTW post of some dialogue that was not aired from Stannis's final scene:

http://watchersonthewall.com/excised-dialogue-stannis-death-depicts-raw-emotion/#more-90660

If that had made it in, it probably would've been the best bit a dialogue in the season.  I wonder who wrote it, I certainly don't have to ask who cut it.

How did "tell my daughter..." get cut while "bad pussy" made it in?

59 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

If that had made it in, it probably would've been the best bit a dialogue in the season.  I wonder who wrote it, I certainly don't have to ask who cut it.

How did "tell my daughter..." get cut while "bad pussy" made it in?

"and he’s not going to die weeping in front of a woman he doesn’t know."

They eventually used this same reasoning to cut the whole thing - said so in the inside featurette: "but at the same time, I'm not going to pour my heart out to you", etc.

Not sure which option is better, the commenters seem to have varying opinions on that. I'd probably narrowly side with the final cut one.

2 hours ago, Pink Fat Rast said:

"and he’s not going to die weeping in front of a woman he doesn’t know."

They eventually used this same reasoning to cut the whole thing - said so in the inside featurette: "but at the same time, I'm not going to pour my heart out to you", etc.

Not sure which option is better, the commenters seem to have varying opinions on that. I'd probably narrowly side with the final cut one.

The weeping seems much too melodramatic for Stannis but the dialogue sans tears would've added some much needed heft to the rather underwhelming end of a great character.

But I suppose including it would've meant cutting some very important character development for Meryn "I'm a sadistic fucking pedophile" Trant.  Ah, choices.

Archived