UK Politics: Trumpy Cat Trumpy Cat Where Have You Been?

mormont

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Why is she behaving like a total idiot? Every day I am more and more embarrassed by my nationality. 

She knows exactly what she is doing. It is an easy way for her to boost her support amongst the party faithful.

Why is she behaving like a total idiot?

Because she's an idiot. I had some hopes for her, but seeing her talk about this shit after throwing herself at Donald Trump's feet, kowtowing to Erdogan in the hopes of selling him more weapons and now playing nice with the Saudis is absolutely repugnant. Not to mention Liam Fox standing next to the murderous leader of the Philippines in the hopes of doing some kind of deal.

Voting to leave the EU is one thing, but I don't remember the referendum where we voted to sell our souls at the same time.

15 hours ago, mormont said:

Note that:

15 hours ago, mormont said:

Meanwhile, a descendant of John Cadbury has pointed out that "as a Quaker, he didn't celebrate Easter".

File this one away for the next time someone complains about the PC brigade, folks.

I was just about to go and do some Googling as I was sure Quakers didn't do Easter. So thanks for saving me some time.

So really, the Arch Bishop of York, by demonstrating total ignorance about Quakerism, and assuming every Christian observes their faith in the Protestant way, is the one spitting on John Cadbury's grave.

Cadbury's should assure everyone they remain totally committed to exploiting religious belief in the promotikn of chocolate.

Perhaps sell Pontius Pilate-themed mini-eggs: they're shelled, so no nee to wash your hands afterwards!

As a follow-up, the ever more irrelevant, but always entertainingly stupid, Nigel Farage's comment:

Nige... I don't know how to tell you this, but... when you say 'Judeo-Christian culture', well, for whatever reason Easter is not considered that significant in Jewish culture.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:57 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

So Daniel Craig looks set to do one more Bond. And article I read suggested they want to write a story that speaks to Bonds"place in the world" which is also Britain's place in the world.

What better thing to so than make a Bond movie where post-Brexit Britain is about to go to war with Spain over Gibraltar? 

TBH, James Bond ought to have ended years ago.  The franchise is very tired now.

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I was just about to go and do some Googling as I was sure Quakers didn't do Easter. So thanks for saving me some time.

So really, the Arch Bishop of York, by demonstrating total ignorance about Quakerism, and assuming every Christian observes their faith in the Protestant way, is the one spitting on John Cadbury's grave.

Some Quakers do Easter I don't know if John Cadbury was one of them.  Quakers are entitled to believe almost anything they like   For example, despite the fact that Quakers have historically been pacifists, Sir Richard Body's family were Quaker gunmakers.

Hostility towards Christmas and Easter used to be pretty intense among the more stringent Protestant sects, on the basis that they were Christianised versions of pagan festivals.  The father of a friend of mine was a factory manager in Wigtownshire in the 1950's.  Even the worst employees would make a point of coming in to work on Christmas day, in order to prove they weren't pagans, or even worse, Roman Catholics.

Cromwell's government never actually banned Christmas and Easter celebrations, but they did make clear that they were not public holidays, and had no special significance unless they fell on the Sabbath.

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

Voting to leave the EU is one thing, but I don't remember the referendum where we voted to sell our souls at the same time.

Does May have a choice though? Any deal she can make with non-EU countries will help the UK immensely, not just because of the deals themselves, but also for the purpose of Brexit negociations. So I'd assume for the next couple of years at least the UK will take any support it can get regardless of where it comes from.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Does May have a choice though? Any deal she can make with non-EU countries will help the UK immensely, not just because of the deals themselves, but also for the purpose of Brexit negociations. So I'd assume for the next couple of years at least the UK will take any support it can get regardless of where it comes from.

And if we can do great deals with, say, Canada, India, Australia, Japan and South Korea (and the USA, even) that's one thing. But Saudi Arabia, the Philippines (under its current leader) and Turkey (under its current leader) reek of desperation. Who next, North Korea and Zimbabwe?

On 02/04/2017 at 6:14 PM, Werthead said:

The Telegraph speculating on if we could beat Spain in a fight.

Something tells me the post-Article 50 negotiations are going to go well.

A German colleague is visiting our office this week and he asked at lunchtime whether we were really planning to go to war with Spain, because apparently the German media have been very confused by the whole thing.

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

A German colleague is visiting our office this week and he asked at lunchtime whether we were really planning to go to war with Spain, because apparently the German media have been very confused by the whole thing.

You could explain that we actually invaded Spain in the late 1970s and several southern coastal areas are now under total British occupation.

It would take a British government with serious stones to cut ties with Saudi Arabia, they're far too important to our weapon and oil market to be shunned. And it'd be seen by many as handing the middle east over to Russia and Iran. I don't like us being so firmly in bed with the Saudi's as many do, but it's unrealistic to expect the government (especially now) to really challenge them on any of their shady shit.

On 4.4.2017 at 6:57 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

So Daniel Craig looks set to do one more Bond. And article I read suggested they want to write a story that speaks to Bonds"place in the world" which is also Britain's place in the world.

What better thing to so than make a Bond movie where post-Brexit Britain is about to go to war with Spain over Gibraltar? 

A Brexit Bond. I have no idea why, but that idea reminded me of

I find the idea quite amusing, 007 is sitting in front of a pile of EU laws and tries to figure out how to make Brexit work for 2 hours.

On 1.4.2017 at 8:25 AM, theguyfromtheVale said:

I'd also note that this French president is a lame duck at this point. He almost certainly won't be involved in negotiations.

True. But I doubt the next French President will take a much softer stance on Brexit, assuming the next French President is not called Le Pen.

I couldn't face the funeral today, I didn't know the bloke, but everyone was offered a free rest day back if they attended and i know a huge number that did.  I'm just not very good at public displays.  

i hope his family got some peace out of the display of affection though. 

I'm very surprised, I have no doubt she'll win, the opposition is that pathetic. But there didn't seem that much pressure on her. Maybe she was starting to realise the scale of the task ahead of her? It'll allow her to point to the mandate when things start getting messy.

The country is not coming together, you silly old trout. 

I hope that people get off their fucking arses and vote. I also hope that all of the 'wot is the EU?' types learn something (and not off the BBC or the daily fail or FB) before they vote. I don't hold out much hope for the latter to be honest. 

Archived