Jon Snow = Pink Letter Writer

Lost Umber

2 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

ok, I am letting you off the hook this time but if I find you using sarcasm, humor, jocularity, playfulness, jest, jocose, joshing, wackiness or whimsy again I won't go so easy on you! This is A Song of Ice and Fire and not A Sportive of Ice and Fire. Please try to keep it in mind.

Well now. You don's shillie shallie around the weirwood do ya. Humph.

26 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

@Greywater-Watch no one is ridiculing anyone, The thread was started as a bit of a joke because ^.  Humor is sorely lacking on the boards lately.

Thank you. I thought for a second that I had misunderstood what @Lost Umber said and that my silly posts were being construed as ridiculing. To make it perfectly clear, that was never my intention. 

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Thank you. I thought for a second that I had misunderstood what @Lost Umber said and that my silly posts were being construed as ridiculing. To make it perfectly clear, that was never my intention. 

As she or he smiles engmatically while offering her guest a mushroom...

There is one bigger question than how did Jon send it to himself.  How did he know Mance got captured and FArya and Theon escaped?  Why even include those details?  It seems to me he could have said, "I have your sister and I will rape and torture her everyday until you come" would have been enough.  Those details make me believe that it could not have been Jon

13 minutes ago, Chris Mormont said:

There is one bigger question than how did Jon send it to himself.  How did he know Mance got captured and FArya and Theon escaped?  Why even include those details?  It seems to me he could have said, "I have your sister and I will rape and torture her everyday until you come" would have been enough.  Those details make me believe that it could not have been Jon

He made up the Mance bit to invest the wildings. He needs their support. 

Jon got the idea about Arya escaping from Mel's visions surrounding Alys Karstark... remember that he thought for a while that Arya had in fact escaped. He needs that bit in the letter to give Ramsay a reason to threaten him and thus give him a pretense to leave CB... "for their own protection". The Reek bit he got from Mel.. or because he knew Ramsay had a servant named Reek. Arya is just a small girl so obviously she would need an accomplice. It's merely coincidental that Jon hit the nail on the head with that bit of creative writing. 

But I no longer think it was Jon. It was this guy. Clydas. I've carefully analyzed all 67 references to Clydas in ASOIAF text and can only ever find him being dutiful and helpful.... what's he trying to hide?

1 hour ago, Arya_Stupid! said:

yes that is my thought as well. Jon has given himself away to the Red Woman. Now she knows what he wants, and that he will do things not necessarily 'allowed' to get it. Namely Arya.  I doubt that Mel would pass up any chance to use that advantage to get Jon exactly where she/Stannis wants him. Mance could somehow be involved as well/instead of Stannis. It could be his way of letting Mel know he finished his part, now she must do hers.

The Clydas connection has always stood out to me too. He looks so scared when he brings the letter, i mean - does he think Jon will 'blame the messenger' for the message? If he doesn't know what's inside, then what is he afraid of? I feel like someone is pressuring him to bring it, hence the nervousness. 

Yes, I fear that Jon let his weakness be known, and now he can be manipulated. I wonder if that doesn't parallel the past and that Eddard was manipulated r/t a possible weakness regarding Lyanna! Was Ned manipulated into calling his banners at the outbreak of the rebellion because of Lyanna's supposed kidnapping, and if so, who was the manipulator. But that has nothing to do with this post so I am going to stop now.

I think Mel and Stannis will both use any person's weakness against them to get what they want, or what they see is the greater good.

Clydas' behavior is just very, very suspicious. I don't like it!

50 minutes ago, Lost Umber said:

That Clydas really is a shady character. Buddying up with Chett all those years. And how was he reading letters for Maester Aemon all those years if he was really half blind?  

Clydas has always felt "off" to me, but I am not sure what it is. I have thought he could probably be part of the assassination attempt against Jon, but maybe he has been working against the Watch for awhile. He has served Aemon for years, and you bring a good point up about Chett. I just think Clydas is a bit creepy, too, but that hardly makes him guilty of anything! Or so I tell myself!

For a minute, I thought I lost my response, and I cussed loud enough to bring the wall down. 

2 hours ago, St Daga said:

Yes, I fear that Jon let his weakness be known, and now he can be manipulated. I wonder if that doesn't parallel the past and that Eddard was manipulated r/t a possible weakness regarding Lyanna! Was Ned manipulated into calling his banners at the outbreak of the rebellion because of Lyanna's supposed kidnapping, and if so, who was the manipulator. But that has nothing to do with this post so I am going to stop now.

I think Mel and Stannis will both use any person's weakness against them to get what they want, or what they see is the greater good.

Clydas' behavior is just very, very suspicious. I don't like it!

Clydas has always felt "off" to me, but I am not sure what it is. I have thought he could probably be part of the assassination attempt against Jon, but maybe he has been working against the Watch for awhile. He has served Aemon for years, and you bring a good point up about Chett. I just think Clydas is a bit creepy, too, but that hardly makes him guilty of anything! Or so I tell myself!

For a minute, I thought I lost my response, and I cussed loud enough to bring the wall down. 

Ned didn't call the banners because of Lyanna's "abduction". After killing Rickard and Brandon, Aerys told Jon Arryn to send him Ned and Robert's heads, and Jon Arryn said, 'no fucking way'. And that's when Ned (and Robert and Jon Arryn) called the banners.

8 hours ago, Lost Umber said:

(I should admit, if it wasn't obvious, that the OP was written as a bit of a joke after reading too many "X wrote the pink letter" posts. But now I'm 100% sold on the idea that dastardly Clydas wrote it). 

The scary thing is, I thought it was legit.  Of course, I have gotten used to seeing even theories that are utterly ridiculous being taken quite seriously.  I though this was just another one.  I have to admit, that the number of theories on the Pink Letter is getting a bit ridiculous, as are some of the theories themselves.

17 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Ned didn't call the banners because of Lyanna's "abduction". After killing Rickard and Brandon, Aerys told Jon Arryn to send him Ned and Robert's heads, and Jon Arryn said, 'no fucking way'. And that's when Ned (and Robert and Jon Arryn) called the banners.

You are correct. Technically, there may have been no abduction at all, and Lyanna could have been knitting with Old Nan for the whole rebellion. We get bits and pieces of a waterfall of events, and it seems like it must all be related, and technically one piece the story we are told is that Jon Arryn refused to give Ned and Robert's heads to Aerys, and that is when Jon Arryn called his banners and Ned and Robert followed suit. But I still wonder of some of those events did not manipulate Ned and Robert into action. However, one wonders about the story. Winners write the history, and so Baratheon, Stark and Arryn can tell what ever story looks good and makes the Targaryen's look bad. I don't think we actually know the real story yet! Hopefully the next book is in the not to distant future and we can get a few more answers, or at least another piece or two to the puzzle!

@St Daga, I agree, history is written by the victors and can be twisted to make them look good and their opponents bad. That said, I don't think Aerys looking bad is one such case. After all, he'd burnt Chelsted and Rossart, and Rickard and Brandon in a particularly cruel way with plenty of witnesses. Aerys didn't need 'help' from anyone to look bad and mad! :)

On 2/1/2017 at 1:55 AM, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Pshaw, I can go more crackpot that this.

Have you all and gentlemen noticed, that one usual suspect is, so far (to my best knowledge), missing from all the "X wrote the Pink Letter" conjectures? What about Littlefinger, I ask you?! Littlefinger was named complicit in near everything that has went down in the Seven Kingdoms (there are some Essos theories out there, too), why not this?

Why?...

Because Varys wrote the Pink Letter.  Duh.   :-)

I think it's Mance who wrote it. There's just too much language used by or around Mance, "your false king", "red whore", "for all the world to see / for all the north to see", etc. Hell Mance's name is the only name mentioned in the letter that isn't an alias, and Mance tells Jon the six spearwives will be useful for "a certain ploy I have in mind." Mance told Jon he was scheming right to his face and Jon didn't catch it.

Archived